daisy-dog

Cha-Ching!!!

• LancTalkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts
  • Locationpoconos

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

POPULAR

MSNBC's Chris Hayes is tired of conservatives snarking about global warming every time it gets cold.

During his show Thursday evening, Hayes complained of the "strange bizarre underworld of climate trolls" that came to life when Matt Drudge ironically linked an article on the Drudge Report about cold weather.

"Of course, no one ever said that climate change meant it wouldn't ever be cold," Hayes said defensively, calling the annual tradition "willful stupidity" of conservatives "who delight being on the wrong side of history."

Hayes admitted, however, that Drudge had been successful in creating a culture of global warming skepticism.

"I mean, Drudge has been incredibly powerful, I think, in this," Hayes said. "Drudge has a thing about climate hoaxism and he has been leading the charge."

http://washingtonexa...article/2541532

#2 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 22877 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

DDog, you're full of surprises.

That's right, good thread!

Goliath doesn't always win. Sometimes David wins.  --paraphrasing Bill Moyers

#3 daisy-dog

daisy-dog

Cha-Ching!!!

• LancTalkers
  • 9403 posts
  • Locationpoconos

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

POPULAR

Hayes mused that conservative media outlets like Fox News and pundits like Rush Limbaugh actually enjoyed making fun of global warming believers, which made it harder for liberal news outlets to cover the issue in a responsible way.

"It is sexier and more fun to mock and to say, 'Oh, look at this!' than to be like, 'We are so screwed, America!' " he said. "I don't want to start the show that way."

Hayes also expressed frustration at conservatives for mocking global warming scientists after their ship froze in the ice in Antarctica.

"The right wing had a field day, pointing and laughing at the global warming believers, who just to be clear, are only a group of scientists risking their lives for no monetary gain and little glory in order to help save the planet," he said defensively.

#4 grieker

grieker

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 35882 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Hayes mused that conservative media outlets like Fox News and pundits like Rush Limbaugh actually enjoyed making fun of global warming believers, which made it harder for liberal news outlets to cover the issue in a responsible way.

"It is sexier and more fun to mock and to say, 'Oh, look at this!' than to be like, 'We are so screwed, America!' " he said. "I don't want to start the show that way."

Hayes also expressed frustration at conservatives for mocking global warming scientists after their ship froze in the ice in Antarctica.

"The right wing had a field day, pointing and laughing at the global warming believers, who just to be clear, are only a group of scientists risking their lives for no monetary gain and little glory in order to help save the planet," he said defensively.

Anyone dispute that?  Anyone?

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters. Undocumented and unregistered.

#5 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 22877 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

POPULAR

Rush Limbaugh and his ilk, "sexy"? Never.

But, otherwise, agreed.

#6 daisy-dog

daisy-dog

Cha-Ching!!!

• LancTalkers
  • 9403 posts
  • Locationpoconos

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

I found it funny that a ship full of "scientists" traveled to Antarctica to prove global warming was melting the ice and got trapped in the growing ice.

In the antarctic summer no less.

It would have been even funnier if Al Gore was a passenger giving his lecture.

Edited by daisy-dog, 03 January 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#7 GeezUS

GeezUS

Axis Of Weevils

• LancTalkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4994 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

I found it funny that a ship full of "scientists" traveled to Antarctica to prove global warming was melting the ice and got trapped in the growing ice.

Of course you'd find it funny because in your ignorance you don't know the melting in the Antarctica is occurring at a rapid rate in its underbelly. Scientists are/have been drilling and sending probes to measure it.

Now... please continue getting your "science" news from Fox News.

When I became convinced that the Universe is natural -- that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. I was free -- free to think, to express my thoughts -- free to live to my own ideal -- free to live for myself and those I loved -- free to use all my faculties, all my senses -- free to reject all ignorant and cruel creeds, all the "inspired" books that savages have produced -- free from popes and priests -- free from the fear of eternal pain -- free from devils, ghosts and gods. I was free. ~Robert G. Ingersoll - 1896

#8 grieker

grieker

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 35882 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

POPULAR

Rush Limbaugh and his ilk, "sexy"? Never.

But, otherwise, agreed.

Here's the problem progressive tree huggers - there is no imperical data that supports your collectively stupid rants about global warming.  No more than what supported your global cooling rants 30 years ago.

It is easy to make fun of retards, very easy which is why they need protection.  lol

Of course you'd find it funny because in your ignorance you don't know the melting in the Antarctica is occurring at a rapid rate in its underbelly. Scientists are/have been drilling and sending probes to measure it.

I wouldn't expect someone with a mocking name of GeezUS to be cognizant enought to freely understand the cyclic nature of nature....

Your global warming scam is an epic fail as is your boy Obama.

#9 daisy-dog

daisy-dog

Cha-Ching!!!

• LancTalkers
  • 9403 posts
  • Locationpoconos

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Scientists at the British Antarctic Survey say that the melting of the Pine Island Glacier ice shelf in Antarctica has suddenly slowed right down in the last few years, confirming earlier research which suggested that the shelf's melt does not result from human-driven global warming.

The Pine Island Glacier in West Antarctica and its associated sea ice shelf is closely watched: this is because unlike most of the sea ice around the austral continent, its melt rate has seemed to be accelerating quickly since scientists first began seriously studying it in the 1990s.

Many researchers had suggested that this was due to human-driven global warming, which appeared to be taking place rapidly at that time (though it has since gone on hold for 15 years or so, a circumstance which science is still assimilating).

However back in 2009 the British Antarctic Survey sent its Autosub robot probe under the shelf (famously powered by some 5,000 ordinary alkaline D-cell batteries on each trip beneath the ice, getting through no less than four tonnes of them during the research). The Autosub survey revealed that a previously unknown marine ridge lay below the shelf, over which the icepack had for millennia been forced to grind its way en route to the ocean. However in relatively recent times the ice had finally so ground down the ridge that the sea could flow in between shelf and ridge, freeing the ice to move much faster and warming it too.

http://www.theregist...global_warming/

#10 grieker

grieker

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 35882 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Sunday could bring record low temperatures - .....

More proof of....

Global Warming!

#11 daisy-dog

daisy-dog

Cha-Ching!!!

• LancTalkers
  • 9403 posts
  • Locationpoconos

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

Global Warming Fanatics Trapped In Antarctic Sea Ice

Cold Climate: In an event chock-full of bitterly cold irony, perhaps even Al Gore has noticed that multiple icebreakers couldn't free a boat stuck in Antarctic ice that global warming was supposed to have melted.

Few of the media reports on the plight of the Russian-flagged research vessel MV Akademik Schokalskiy have noted the irony of a ship full of climate scientists getting stuck in an Antarctic ice sheet so thick that early attempts at breaking through the ice to free them were failures.

"We're stuck in our own experiment," the Australasian Antarctic Expedition said in a statement. "We came to Antarctica to study how one of the biggest icebergs in the world has altered the system by trapping ice. We ... are now ourselves trapped by ice surrounding our ship."

In a statement only climate-change die-hards could make, the group said, "Sea ice is disappearing due to climate change, but here ice is building up."

Now that is funny !!

#12 grieker

grieker

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 35882 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Record high amount of ice in the Antartic in 35 years....

More proof of....

Global Warming!

#13 nvh

nvh

Jerk Whisperer

• LT Founder
  • 14882 posts
  • LocationConestoga

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

POPULAR

Record high amount of ice in the Antartic in 35 years....

More proof of....

Global Warming!

You do realize that the ONLY thing increasing is sea ice around Antarctica, that the vast bulk of the ice is underlain with land, and it is decreasing.

Estimates of recent changes in Antarctic land ice (Figure 2, bottom panel) show an increasing contribution to sea level with time, although not as fast a rate or acceleration as Greenland. Between 1992 and 2011, the Antarctic Ice Sheets overall lost 1350 giga-tonnes (Gt) or 1,350,000,000,000 tonnes into the oceans, at an average rate of 70 Gt per year (Gt/yr). Because a reduction in mass of 360 Gt/year represents an annual global-average sea level rise of 1 mm, these estimates equate to an increase in global-average sea levels by 0.19 mm/yr.

There is variation between regions within Antarctica (Figure 2, top panel), with the West Antarctic Ice Sheet and the Antarctic Peninsula Ice Sheet losing ice mass, and with an increasing rate. The East Antarctic Ice Sheet is growing slightly over this period but not enough to offset the other losses.  There are of course uncertainties in the estimation methods but independent data from multiple measurement techniques (explained here) all show the same thing, Antarctica is losing land ice as a whole, and these losses are accelerating quickly.

http://www.skeptical...gaining-ice.htm

I've worked with a population of people with a genetic disorder which left them ravenously hungry, as well as irritable and angry, and with low intelligence. They were all on strict diets, and I quickly learned to slice their meat very thin, and spread their food thinly over the plate. Thus, less food looked like more, since it covered a broad area.

Land ice in Antarctica is thinning. There is less total mass of ice. But, because of the increase in sea ice, ice is covering a larger area. Covering a plate with 1/8 inch slices of lean Roast Beef fools some people. I reckon a wide smear containing less ice over a larger area has tricked some folks too.

Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;   Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere   The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst    Are full of passionate intensity.

W B Yeats

#14 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 22877 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

I've worked with a population of people with a genetic disorder which left them ravenously hungry, as well as irritable and angry, and with low intelligence.

WHAT'S FOR SUPPER?!?! :gadu_gady_extra_pack_2_13977_50

#15 grieker

grieker

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 35882 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

You do realize that the ONLY thing increasing is sea ice around Antarctica, that the vast bulk of the ice is underlain with land, and it is decreasing.

I've worked with a population of people with a genetic disorder which left them ravenously hungry, as well as irritable and angry, and with low intelligence. They were all on strict diets, and I quickly learned to slice their meat very thin, and spread their food thinly over the plate. Thus, less food looked like more, since it covered a broad area.

Land ice in Antarctica is thinning. There is less total mass of ice. But, because of the increase in sea ice, ice is covering a larger area. Covering a plate with 1/8 inch slices of lean Roast Beef fools some people. I reckon a wide smear containing less ice over a larger area has tricked some folks too.

Decreasing because of lack of snow - NOT Global Warming!

#16 nvh

nvh

Jerk Whisperer

• LT Founder
  • 14882 posts
  • LocationConestoga

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Decreasing because of lack of snow - NOT Global Warming!

Do you have a link for that factoid? Or is that a by-prodect of your most recent colon cleansing?

What I have read is that snowfall has INCREASED in parts of Antarctica, and that increased snowfall will accelerate ice loss from the landmass.

Stronger snowfall increases future ice discharge from Antarctica. Global warming leads to more precipitation as warmer air holds more moisture – hence earlier research suggested the Antarctic ice sheet might grow under climate change. Now a study published in Nature shows that a lot of the ice gain due to increased snowfall is countered by an acceleration of ice-flow to the ocean. Thus Antarctica’s contribution to global sea-level rise is probably greater than hitherto estimated, the team of authors from the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) concludes.

http://www.pik-potsd...l-on-antarctica

You do understand how glaciers work, don't you?

And I suppose I should ask you, who is paying off those German scientists? Is Obama's reach that long?

Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;   Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere   The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst    Are full of passionate intensity.

W B Yeats

#17 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 22877 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

How I'm fighting global warming Internet "trolls"

It's a tough decision: how to handle anti-science global warming deniers who repeatedly leave lengthy comments on my blog posts, filled with untruths, deceptions, and flat out lies at odds with facts about how the Earth's climate is changing because of human carbon pollution.

I've tolerated this crap for a long time, but have decided to take a stand for truth (as contrasted with "truthiness," which is what global warming trolls specialize in. 

In this context a troll isn't a mythical being, but someone set on disrupting courteous, respectful cyberspace discourse. They're a problem almost everywhere on the Internet. I've had to moderate comments on my two blogs to keep them under control.

Up until recently I've been accepting of global warming-related comments which aren't based in scientific reality. I'd correct the factual errors through a comment of my own. However, when someone keeps repeating lies, it gets tiresome to keep on spending time refuting them.

much more at

http://hinessight.bl...et-trolls-.html

Edited by prettylight, 03 January 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#18 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 22877 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Billion-dollar climate denial network exposed

21 December 13

by Duncan Geere

An extensive study into the financial networks that support groups denying the science behind climate change and opposing political action has found a vast, secretive web of think tanks and industry associations, bankrolled by conservative billionaires.

"I call it the climate-change counter movement," study author Robert Brulle, who published his results in the journal Climatic Change, told the Guardian. "It is not just a couple of rogue individuals doing this. This is a large-scale political effort."

His work, which is focused on the United States, shows how a network of 91 think tanks and industry groups are primarily responsible for conservative opposition to climate policy. Almost 80 percent of these groups are registered as charitable organisations for tax purposes, and collectively received more than seven billion dollars between 2003 and 2010.

Among those named as key nodes of the network were the American Enterprise Institute, which claims to have no institutional position on climate change, and the Heritage Foundation, which campaigns on a number of issues.

However, Brulle admitted that tracing the funding back to its original sources was difficult, as around three quarters of the money has been routed through trusts that assume anonymity to their donors.

While it was not always possible to separate funds designated strictly for climate-change work from overall budgets, Brulle said: "This is how wealthy individuals or corporations translate their economic power into political and cultural power."

He added: "They have their profits and they hire people to write books that say climate change is not real. They hear people to go on TV and say climate change is not real. It ends up that people without economic power don't have the same size voice as the people who have economic power, and so it ends up distorting democracy."

http://www.wired.co....medium=facebook

#19 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 22877 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

How many trolls does $1 billion a year buy?

"They are being paid extravagantly to lie. And the lies are downright risible."

December 24, 2013 — Sabina Becker

global-warming-unbeliever-fail1.jpg

Conservative groups may have spent up to $1bn a year on the effort to deny science and oppose action on climate change, according to the first extensive study into the anatomy of the anti-climate effort.

Billionaires spending billions to keep the gravy train rolling…and rolling right over any pesky government that would stand in their way. And how exactly does that work?

The anti-climate effort has been largely underwritten by conservative billionaires, often working through secretive funding networks. They have displaced corporations as the prime supporters of 91 think tanks, advocacy groups and industry associations which have worked to block action on climate change. Such financial support has hardened conservative opposition to climate policy, ultimately dooming any chances of action from Congress to cut greenhouse gas emissions that are warming the planet, the study found.

“I call it the climate-change counter movement,” said the author of the study, Drexel University sociologist Robert Brulle. “It is not just a couple of rogue individuals doing this. This is a large-scale political effort.”

much more at

http://www.sabinabec...a-year-buy.html

#20 lanzate

lanzate

Tyler

• LT Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2204 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

The problem is this "truthiness" and pseudo-science cuts both ways.     I watched the the documentary "chasing ice" on netflixs a few months ago.  It was about a photographer who films ice.   There was no science involved at all,  just a bunch of photographers who were given a platform at the UN.     Yes they are good at what they do but should the UN being using art to make policy?    Rivers of water coming from melting glaciers in Greenland sure is dramatic when filmed in high def while hanging from an ice cliff but how does that say anything about climate change?    It was a lot of fluff and emotionalism which I was ok with until they spent a good part talking about how they presented their work to the UN.     If this kind of thing is what the UN passes for science then there is a serious problem.  

In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on things you have long taken for granted. -Bertrand Russell

#21 Socrates

Socrates

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

It would have been even funnier if Al Gore was a passenger giving his lecture.

You have greatly misunderstood the mission and the concern.

#22 lanzate

lanzate

Tyler

• LT Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2204 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Good quote from prettylight's link at sabinabecker.com

"Fear doesn't travel well; just as it can warp judgment, its absence can diminish memory's truth. What terrifies one generation is likely to bring only a puzzled smile to the next.
--Arthur Miller, "Why I Wrote 'The Crucible'", The New Yorker, October 21, 1996

In 50 years i think we will look back at this time and think we had our fears all mixed up.    Why are we so afraid of CO2 when our rivers are dirty,  our air is dirty,  food is dirty and the land is eroding?      Our fears are out of whack when we are more afraid of a few tons of carbon going into our atmosphere than a few tons a mercury from more efficient bulbs. 

In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on things you have long taken for granted. -Bertrand Russell

#23 Socrates

Socrates

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

No, no, no...  I want to pick and choose only those observances that support my beliefs, however stupid they may be!

#24 Martin Riggs

Martin Riggs

Slugs for Thugs

• Special Members
  • 26308 posts
  • LocationLancaster Pa.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

POPULAR

No, no, no...  I want to pick and choose only those observances that support my beliefs, however stupid they may be!

Jawohl Herr Socrates.....you never do that do you?

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

General James Mattis , USMC

#25 nvh

nvh

Jerk Whisperer

• LT Founder
  • 14882 posts
  • LocationConestoga

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

The problem is this "truthiness" and pseudo-science cuts both ways.     I watched the the documentary "chasing ice" on netflixs a few months ago.  It was about a photographer who films ice.   There was no science involved at all,  just a bunch of photographers who were given a platform at the UN.     Yes they are good at what they do but should the UN being using art to make policy?    Rivers of water coming from melting glaciers in Greenland sure is dramatic when filmed in high def while hanging from an ice cliff but how does that say anything about climate change?    It was a lot of fluff and emotionalism which I was ok with until they spent a good part talking about how they presented their work to the UN.     If this kind of thing is what the UN passes for science then there is a serious problem.  

But it's not.

W B Yeats

#26 Martin Riggs

Martin Riggs

Slugs for Thugs

• Special Members
  • 26308 posts
  • LocationLancaster Pa.

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

But it's not.

Then is it for the " pretty " pictures?

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

General James Mattis , USMC

#27 grieker

grieker

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 35882 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

Do you have a link for that factoid? Or is that a by-prodect of your most recent colon cleansing?

What I have read is that snowfall has INCREASED in parts of Antarctica, and that increased snowfall will accelerate ice loss from the landmass.

http://www.pik-potsd...l-on-antarctica

You do understand how glaciers work, don't you?

And I suppose I should ask you, who is paying off those German scientists? Is Obama's reach that long?

You're the only by-prodect of my most recent colon cleansing? 

The "Scientists", like politicians, keep the data confusing, sometimes diametrically opposing each other.

http://www.nasa.gov/...arctic-ice.html

Seems the ice melt and growth is cyclic... now where the hell have I heard that before?

http://en.wikipedia....rctic_ice_sheet

#28 daisy-dog

daisy-dog

Cha-Ching!!!

• LancTalkers
  • 9403 posts
  • Locationpoconos

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

Meanwhile in Milford Pa

nt_clear.gif
Clear
Temperature
-5.8 °F
Feels Like -6 °F
Wind(mph)

Please send my check

Edited by daisy-dog, 04 January 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#29 daisy-dog

daisy-dog

Cha-Ching!!!

• LancTalkers
  • 9403 posts
  • Locationpoconos

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

Antarctic ice shelf melt 'lowest EVER recorded, global warming is NOT eroding it' Human CO2 just not a big deal at Pine Island Glacier
By Lewis Page, 3rd January 2014

#30 nvh

nvh

Jerk Whisperer

• LT Founder
  • 14882 posts
  • LocationConestoga

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

POPULAR

Good quote from prettylight's link at sabinabecker.com

"Fear doesn't travel well; just as it can warp judgment, its absence can diminish memory's truth. What terrifies one generation is likely to bring only a puzzled smile to the next.
--Arthur Miller, "Why I Wrote 'The Crucible'", The New Yorker, October 21, 1996

In 50 years i think we will look back at this time and think we had our fears all mixed up.    Why are we so afraid of CO2 when our rivers are dirty,  our air is dirty,  food is dirty and the land is eroding?      Our fears are out of whack when we are more afraid of a few tons of carbon going into our atmosphere than a few tons a mercury from more efficient bulbs. 

It's funny how for over 50 years, hundreds of millions of fluorescent tubes, containing the same amount of Mercury, were used and thrown away with nary a twitch from the Right, but as soon as the Right Wing opinionators associated compact fluorescents with Obama and 'treehuggers', they became this horrid threat to health and safety that must be resisted. Wonder why that is?

A few tons of Carbon? How about 9,200,000,000 metric tons annually.  That is enough to have increased the CO2 content of the atmosphere by about 40%. It is enough to have changed the energy balance of the planet. And we are well on our way to doubling CO2.

There are very good reasons to think that this increased CO2 will warm the atmosphere and the oceans, reasons that have nothing to do with the temperature in Milford, Al Gore, melting ice or Ethanol, but with the physical properties of the CO2 molecule. That CO2 is a greenhouse gas has been known for over a century. And it is this property of CO2 that is at the heart of global warming science. You work with the universe you live in, and in this universe, CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

Yes, there are a multitude of environmental problems, but don't you think a changing climate and rising sea level is a problem. Take some time and think about the implications of that. And, CO2 does not wash out of the atmosphere for centuries, so whatever climate we succeed in creating from burning fossil fuels will be the new climate. There is no going back.

W B Yeats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users