9 replies to this topic

#1 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21436 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

California Man Who Builds Houses for Homeless Shares Video After Homeless Woman Dies

By NICOLE PELLETIERE December 4, 2015 10:57 AM Good Morning America

A California man who has been building tiny houses for the homeless has dedicated a video to a local homeless woman who has died.

"Linda was homeless and she went to sleep one night and never woke up," Elvis Summers, who lives in Los Angeles, told ABC News. "When I learned she passed, I remembered she asked me for a house. I knew it wasn't my fault, but I [thought] 'Was the cold a final factor? If I had gotten her a house would she have passed away?'"

Elvis Summers, 38, began building homes for the homeless in late April. The first one was for a woman named Irene "Smokie" McGee, 60, who had been living outdoors for 10 years.

"I asked her, 'What would you think if I built you a mini house?' and I think she thought I was crazy," Summers told ABC News in May. "I saw online that people were building these tiny homes. I had done construction before, so figured 'That’s easy - I could do that.'"

Summers then purchased $500 worth of materials for McGee's temporary home, which he completed in just five days.

9ecca470-9a9e-11e5-a728-7722aa740984_Cal

Elvis Summers

Since then, Summers has built dozens of miniature houses for people in his area.

"I want to work harder," he added. "[I'll build] as many as it takes."

Summers said he currently has a list of over 20 homeless people waiting to "get sheltered" on his project's website mythpla.org.

aeece860-9a9e-11e5-95c1-193373306478_Cal

more (with pictures and video) at:

https://gma.yahoo.co...-and-home.html#

Edited by prettylight, 06 December 2015 - 09:13 AM.

Goliath doesn't always win. Sometimes David wins.  --paraphrasing Bill Moyers

#2 grieker

grieker

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 34375 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:41 PM

POPULAR

Bless his heart.  Now hopefully the new occupants can get back to work since they now have a place to live.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters. Undocumented and unregistered.

#3 Citydweller

Citydweller

Head Inmate

• Administrators
  • 8667 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:53 AM

Bless his heart.

That sentiment is normally expressed as a pejorative. I hope that's not what you mean by it.

"P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it must have been miscarried; therefore I beg you to write and let me know."
- Sir Boyle Roche, M.P.

#4 grieker

grieker

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 34375 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:21 AM

POPULAR

That sentiment is normally expressed as a pejorative. I hope that's not what you mean by it.

No.  I would have said "bless his sweet little heart".

I think what is being done is great.

#5 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 21436 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

^

I mistakenly thought until within the past year or so that "bless your heart" meant just what it seems at face value.

I thought people who said it to me were being affirming and gracious, not saying, "you poor thing, you're a moron" (or whatever it can mean, at its worst).

so am sorry for insulting any number of people by misusing this phrase over the years.

Bull in a china shop,

PL

#6 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 21436 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

Inside the tiny house revolution

By 2050, two-thirds of the world’s population will reside in cities, and that’s got a lot of people thinking about livable — even moveable — spaces.

Jeff Wilson, a college professor in Austin, Texas, challenged himself to live in a 33-square-foot dumpster for a year as part of an experiment in living with less. That gave birth to his company, Kasita, dedicated to the concept.

more (video) at:

https://www.yahoo.co...-145513615.html

Edited by prettylight, 13 December 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#7 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 21436 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

My Tiny House Reality: When the Downsized Life Is the Only Life You Can Afford

The consumer dream of minimalism and living small has nothing to do with my family — 5 people in a 1-bedroom home.

#8 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 21436 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

Tiny houses give low-income Detroit residents a shot at home ownership
With a monthly rent of $1 per square foot, these dainty dwellings don't break the bank.
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-07%20at%202.29.2
Matt Hickman
June 9, 2017, 12:05 p.m.
TinyHouse_CCSS_Detroit.jpg.653x0_q80_cro

Unburdened by strict zoning laws, Detroit's first rent-to-own tiny house community is geared toward college students, seniors and the formerly homeless. The first phase of homes will range between 250 and 400 square feet. (Photo: Cass Community Social Services/Facebook)

Cass Community Social Services (CCSS) is a Detroit-based nonprofit that has remained unfailingly focused on feeding the hungry and providing job opportunities for formerly homeless men. But under the visionary leadership of Rev. Faith Fowler, this powerhouse of a social services agency has grown and moved on to even bigger things.

Well, not too big.

Spanning two vacant blocks on Detroit’s northwest side, CCSS is building tiny houses — 25 of them, to be exact — as part of an innovative rent-to-buy housing program that gives students, seniors, the formerly homeless and other low-income Detroiters the chance to achieve something that may not otherwise be financially feasible: home ownership.

To be clear, these aren’t the garden shed-esque emergency shelters that cater to the chronically homeless. (Those 100-square-foot micro-dwellings often don’t feature much more than a roof, a bed and an all-important front door with a lock.)

In contrast, the structures built by CCSS are legit. Just look at that Tudor-style model unit with the decorative stone chimney pictured above — it’s certainly worthy of any micro living-obsessed lifestyle blog.

Ranging between 250 and 400 square feet, the dwellings being built at this budding tiny home enclave are smaller than the average American home, no doubt, but they’re also fully kitted-out and include all the amenities — full bathrooms and kitchens along with the standard appliances and furnishings — that one would expect from a “normal”-sized residence. Complete with porches and/or back decks, they’re independent, functional living spaces … just with a dainty footprint.

"It's not tiny at all," Fowler says in the below introductory video to the project. "It's a game-changer."

Tiny housing meets plus-sized largesse

CCSS recently completed work on the first round of rent-to-own residences at Detroit’s debut tiny house development.

These six structures, constructed by professional builders and finished by CCSS volunteers to help keep labor costs down, join the development's handsome 300-square-foot model unit, which was unveiled this past September and features granite countertops, a dishwasher, air conditioning and a washer-dryer combo according to The Detroit News.

The homes are all situated on foundations (no wheels here) on their very own regular-sized lots.

At the end of May, CCSS held the Cass Community Social Services Tiny Homes Progressive Tour, a fundraising event in which donors were treated to a sneak peek of the community’s soon-to-be-inhabited inaugural homes.

Speaking to Crain’s Detroit Business, Fowler explains that the initiative has raised roughly $1 million in just under a year, including a $400,000 investment from The Ford Motor Company Fund and additional major donations from the United Way of Southeastern Michigan, the McGregor Fund and the RNR Foundation. A slew of local churches also have been crucial benefactors during the initial fundraising stages. (Founded in 2002, CCSS has its roots in the Cass Community United Methodist Church.)

May’s open house event, which was the only chance for the general public to see the homes' interiors before residents move in, aimed to raise $10,000 more in funding.

The first six homes cost between $40,000 and $50,000 to build with a decent chunk of that going towards utility hook-ups and foundation work. In addition to volunteer labor, several companies including Michigan's very own Herman Miller have stepped up to donate furnishings and building materials.

“What's interesting about this project is there's not a government dime, not a penny in it,” Fowler tells Crain’s. “Detroit is full of many, many neighborhoods that need redevelopment. It's fun to be a part of one that's doing something exciting.”

Detroit-TinyHouseDevelopment_CCSS_Aerial

Detroit's burgeoning rent-to-own tiny house development is spread across two vacant blocks wedged between the John C. Lodge Freeway and Woodrow Wilson Street on the city's west side. (Rendering: Cass Community Social Services)

Fighting urban blight with dainty dwellings

While this low-income housing initiative is somewhat reminiscent of Habitat for Humanity, one major difference is the absence of a mortgage. Residents, who must go through an extensive application process and meet income eligibility requirements, enter a monthly rental agreement with CCSS that’s based solely on the square footage of each individual home. If the square footage is 290 feet, the monthly rent is $290.

Utilities are not included in the monthly rent. However, the cost to keep the heat on and the power running in such a diminutive, well-insulated dwelling won’t break the bank.

After seven years of continuous renting, residents will be given the opportunity to own the house and the surrounding lot so long as they volunteer weekly within the community and join a homeowners' association. As renters, residents also are required to attend classes in home maintenance and personal finances held at CCSS's main campus, which is located just south of the tiny house development.

As mentioned, CCSS gives preference to students, seniors and minimum wage workers as well as the agency’s own employees, many of whom are formerly homeless. To qualify, applicants must make between $10,000 and $20,000 annually. Akin to standalone studio apartments, a majority of the new homes are not geared for families given that they don’t include fully private bedrooms (only two do), although subsequent phases of the development could potentially include larger — but still tiny — homes that are suitable for more than one or two people.

"People making that small amount of money can’t qualify for a mortgage,” Fowler recently told Fast Company. “So they’re essentially locked out of housing that serves as a piggyback for the rest of us. In addition to the pride of having a place you can call your own, the beginning of wealth, or the security of having an asset you can call your own, was very important to us. More important than the tininess of the home.”

Speaking of importance and tininess, Fast Company notes that this singular project has been unhindered by the one thing that often proves to be a major headache for tiny house developments (and tiny houses in general): zoning laws. Detroit does not have minimum size requirement for tiny homes on the books and the project did not run afoul of any city zoning laws. So in that regard, the development has been smooth sailing thus far.

“They’re learning from us and we’re learning from them,” Fowler tells The Detroit News of her organization’s relationship with the city’s zoning department.

With the first residents of Detroit’s one-and-only tiny house development slated to move into their digs at some point this month, Fowler is already thinking well beyond this two-block launch pad. As she noted to The Detroit News last September, there are a staggering 300 vacant lots within just a mile radius of the development site. And these pockets of blight, still so ubiquitous around large swaths of on-the-rebound Detroit, are just begging for a few tiny additions.

more

https://www.mnn.com/...-home-ownership

Edited by prettylight, 12 June 2017 - 07:37 PM.

#9 grieker

grieker

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 34375 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

POPULAR

Tiny houses give low-income Detroit residents a shot at home ownership
With a monthly rent of $1 per square foot, these dainty dwellings don't break the bank.
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-07%20at%202.29.2
Matt Hickman
June 9, 2017, 12:05 p.m.
TinyHouse_CCSS_Detroit.jpg.653x0_q80_cro

Unburdened by strict zoning laws, Detroit's first rent-to-own tiny house community is geared toward college students, seniors and the formerly homeless. The first phase of homes will range between 250 and 400 square feet. (Photo: Cass Community Social Services/Facebook)

Cass Community Social Services (CCSS) is a Detroit-based nonprofit that has remained unfailingly focused on feeding the hungry and providing job opportunities for formerly homeless men. But under the visionary leadership of Rev. Faith Fowler, this powerhouse of a social services agency has grown and moved on to even bigger things.

Well, not too big.

Spanning two vacant blocks on Detroit’s northwest side, CCSS is building tiny houses — 25 of them, to be exact — as part of an innovative rent-to-buy housing program that gives students, seniors, the formerly homeless and other low-income Detroiters the chance to achieve something that may not otherwise be financially feasible: home ownership.

To be clear, these aren’t the garden shed-esque emergency shelters that cater to the chronically homeless. (Those 100-square-foot micro-dwellings often don’t feature much more than a roof, a bed and an all-important front door with a lock.)

In contrast, the structures built by CCSS are legit. Just look at that Tudor-style model unit with the decorative stone chimney pictured above — it’s certainly worthy of any micro living-obsessed lifestyle blog.

Ranging between 250 and 400 square feet, the dwellings being built at this budding tiny home enclave are smaller than the average American home, no doubt, but they’re also fully kitted-out and include all the amenities — full bathrooms and kitchens along with the standard appliances and furnishings — that one would expect from a “normal”-sized residence. Complete with porches and/or back decks, they’re independent, functional living spaces … just with a dainty footprint.

"It's not tiny at all," Fowler says in the below introductory video to the project. "It's a game-changer."

Tiny housing meets plus-sized largesse

CCSS recently completed work on the first round of rent-to-own residences at Detroit’s debut tiny house development.

These six structures, constructed by professional builders and finished by CCSS volunteers to help keep labor costs down, join the development's handsome 300-square-foot model unit, which was unveiled this past September and features granite countertops, a dishwasher, air conditioning and a washer-dryer combo according to The Detroit News.

The homes are all situated on foundations (no wheels here) on their very own regular-sized lots.

At the end of May, CCSS held the Cass Community Social Services Tiny Homes Progressive Tour, a fundraising event in which donors were treated to a sneak peek of the community’s soon-to-be-inhabited inaugural homes.

Speaking to Crain’s Detroit Business, Fowler explains that the initiative has raised roughly $1 million in just under a year, including a $400,000 investment from The Ford Motor Company Fund and additional major donations from the United Way of Southeastern Michigan, the McGregor Fund and the RNR Foundation. A slew of local churches also have been crucial benefactors during the initial fundraising stages. (Founded in 2002, CCSS has its roots in the Cass Community United Methodist Church.)

May’s open house event, which was the only chance for the general public to see the homes' interiors before residents move in, aimed to raise $10,000 more in funding.

The first six homes cost between $40,000 and $50,000 to build with a decent chunk of that going towards utility hook-ups and foundation work. In addition to volunteer labor, several companies including Michigan's very own Herman Miller have stepped up to donate furnishings and building materials.

“What's interesting about this project is there's not a government dime, not a penny in it,” Fowler tells Crain’s. “Detroit is full of many, many neighborhoods that need redevelopment. It's fun to be a part of one that's doing something exciting.”

Detroit-TinyHouseDevelopment_CCSS_Aerial

Detroit's burgeoning rent-to-own tiny house development is spread across two vacant blocks wedged between the John C. Lodge Freeway and Woodrow Wilson Street on the city's west side. (Rendering: Cass Community Social Services)

Fighting urban blight with dainty dwellings

While this low-income housing initiative is somewhat reminiscent of Habitat for Humanity, one major difference is the absence of a mortgage. Residents, who must go through an extensive application process and meet income eligibility requirements, enter a monthly rental agreement with CCSS that’s based solely on the square footage of each individual home. If the square footage is 290 feet, the monthly rent is $290.

Utilities are not included in the monthly rent. However, the cost to keep the heat on and the power running in such a diminutive, well-insulated dwelling won’t break the bank.

After seven years of continuous renting, residents will be given the opportunity to own the house and the surrounding lot so long as they volunteer weekly within the community and join a homeowners' association. As renters, residents also are required to attend classes in home maintenance and personal finances held at CCSS's main campus, which is located just south of the tiny house development.

As mentioned, CCSS gives preference to students, seniors and minimum wage workers as well as the agency’s own employees, many of whom are formerly homeless. To qualify, applicants must make between $10,000 and $20,000 annually. Akin to standalone studio apartments, a majority of the new homes are not geared for families given that they don’t include fully private bedrooms (only two do), although subsequent phases of the development could potentially include larger — but still tiny — homes that are suitable for more than one or two people.

"People making that small amount of money can’t qualify for a mortgage,” Fowler recently told Fast Company. “So they’re essentially locked out of housing that serves as a piggyback for the rest of us. In addition to the pride of having a place you can call your own, the beginning of wealth, or the security of having an asset you can call your own, was very important to us. More important than the tininess of the home.”

Speaking of importance and tininess, Fast Company notes that this singular project has been unhindered by the one thing that often proves to be a major headache for tiny house developments (and tiny houses in general): zoning laws. Detroit does not have minimum size requirement for tiny homes on the books and the project did not run afoul of any city zoning laws. So in that regard, the development has been smooth sailing thus far.

“They’re learning from us and we’re learning from them,” Fowler tells The Detroit News of her organization’s relationship with the city’s zoning department.

With the first residents of Detroit’s one-and-only tiny house development slated to move into their digs at some point this month, Fowler is already thinking well beyond this two-block launch pad. As she noted to The Detroit News last September, there are a staggering 300 vacant lots within just a mile radius of the development site. And these pockets of blight, still so ubiquitous around large swaths of on-the-rebound Detroit, are just begging for a few tiny additions.

more

https://www.mnn.com/...-home-ownership

Property taxes might still be a problem - unsure.

Would be greater use of land to put two on each property, in-law suite for example.

Interestingly you can pick up "real" homes in Detroit area under $20k

Hell, you can buy houses in Texas at auction for under $1k - you just have to move them.

#10 o311mc

o311mc

Really Senior Member

• LT Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2951 posts
  • Locationin the here and now.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

POPULAR

Property taxes might still be a problem - unsure.

Would be greater use of land to put two on each property, in-law suite for example.

Interestingly you can pick up "real" homes in Detroit area under $20k

Hell, you can buy houses in Texas at auction for under $1k - you just have to move them.

Not sure how Michigan or Detroit handle taxes, if the tax is assessed on the value of the property or not. If it is I would think these little houses would asses lower than a full size one? I was wondering why CCSS was not getting the "on market" houses and doing this as well? Even at 20K, it would require a conventional mortgage, which the intended recipients are not able to quality for though. If CCSS picked up some vacant full sizers, they could do the same thing and create some nice neighborhoods.
Statistics show that 100% of the people who were bitten by a snake,,,,,,,were close to it.
Skydaddy rocks!

Cold warrior, stood fast ready for the Ruskies, them bitches were a no-show.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users