59 replies to this topic

#31 Farmer Vincent

Farmer Vincent

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 22707 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

POPULAR

AARP Strikes Back After Trumpcare Passing With A Brutal Threat To Every Single GOP

http://democraticrev...ery-single-gop/

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

#32 Farmer Vincent

Farmer Vincent

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 22707 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

POPULAR

Attached Files

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

#33 Farmer Vincent

Farmer Vincent

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 22707 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

POPULAR

The Republicans' health-care disaster will invoke a populist revolt that will destroy them

"America's populist energies managed to gain political power in 2016 not by challenging the country's two-party establishment from the outside or by taking over the Democratic Party but rather by rising up through the institutional structure of the Republican Party. If this had been a genuine political coup, overthrowing the GOP's libertarian convictions from the inside of the party and replacing them with a commitment to helping the voters who elected Donald Trump to the presidency, the result might have been a coherent populism. But what we got instead was a blatant, self-destructive contradiction: Populist anger propelled Republicans to victory at all levels of government, but once in office they immediately began enacting a libertarian agenda that is bound to stoke even greater anger, and provoke an even greater populist revolt in the not-too-distant future."

http://theweek.com/a...lt-that-destroy

#34 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23590 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

Goliath doesn't always win. Sometimes David wins.  --paraphrasing Bill Moyers

#35 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 23590 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

A Fox News Host Tells the Truth About GOP Healthcare Bill - Gets Slammed By Co-Hosts

#36 Farmer Vincent

Farmer Vincent

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 22707 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

POPULAR

A Fox News Host Tells the Truth About GOP Healthcare Bill - Gets Slammed By Co-Hosts

Yeah, I cringe in those times when truth gets mugged by the gang.  

#37 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 23590 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

"Nobody dies because they don't have access to healthcare."

#38 o311mc

o311mc

Beyond Mere Titles

• LT Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3198 posts
  • Locationin the here and now.

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

The problem isn't different than it ever was, the same politicians that wrote Obama care do not have to live with it. Those who write it's replacement or upgrade there-of will not have to live with it either. Democrats will fight anything the republicans submit, even if it makes sense. The same as the republicans will fight anything submitted by democrats. We have a right to something better, but we still argue about the crumbs that fall from the congressional table. They have our stupid squabbling asses right where they want us, and we are apparently to dumb or just plain obtuse enough to be happy at our stations.
Statistics show that 100% of the people who were bitten by a snake,,,,,,,were close to it.
Skydaddy rocks, and it's Trumps fault

Cold warrior, stood fast ready for the Ruskies, them bitches were a no-show.

#39 Farmer Vincent

Farmer Vincent

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 22707 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

The problem isn't different than it ever was, the same politicians that wrote Obama care do not have to live with it. Those who write it's replacement or upgrade there-of will not have to live with it either. Democrats will fight anything the republicans submit, even if it makes sense. The same as the republicans will fight anything submitted by democrats. We have a right to something better, but we still argue about the crumbs that fall from the congressional table. They have our stupid squabbling asses right where they want us, and we are apparently to dumb or just plain obtuse enough to be happy at our stations.

What can we, as regular citizens, do to change that?  

#40 o311mc

o311mc

Beyond Mere Titles

• LT Founder
  • 3198 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

What can we, as regular citizens, do to change that?

for one stop waiting on the government to take care of us and start taking care of ourselves. Far too many of us are reliant upon uncle Sam to feed and cloth us. Stop rewarding those who don't perform, participation trophy's have created a generation or two of entitlement minded folks that have no idea how to fend for themselves, and made the notion of trying hard as foreign as the lost bird language.
Next, never, I mean never re-elect an incumbent candidate. serving in congress or the senate was intended to be a civic duty not a career path. This has created generations of people that serve themselves and the special interest groups they represent. We the people are not at the for front of their thought process.
there is much an individual can do to make themselves less reliant on other people,,,,,,,,,,,,I wish more understood this.
Statistics show that 100% of the people who were bitten by a snake,,,,,,,were close to it.

#41 Pastor of Muppets

Pastor of Muppets

Cha-Ching!!!

• LancTalkers
  • 16395 posts
  • Locationcolumbia

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

Yes. We have bootstrap pullin' to do. Got it.

Edited by Pastor of Muppets, 15 May 2017 - 09:27 PM.

#bush43worstpresidentever

#42 o311mc

o311mc

Beyond Mere Titles

• LT Founder
  • 3198 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

Yes. We have bootstrap pullin' to do. Got it.

I hope Biden didn't convince you that the republicans stole your boot straps.

#43 Farmer Vincent

Farmer Vincent

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 22707 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

I've never been on any kind of assistance except a little VA apprenticeship money but I'm about to go on Medicare and SS, which I've paid into and expect the government to come through on the agreement.  There's plenty the government does well and we shouldn't throw it away like the present administration wants to just because they want to change stuff.  Ditch social safety net so that the rich can get even more obscenely rich?  No thank you.  

As for incumbents, why cut off the good ones so that they can be replaced by an unknown quantity?  The good ones stay in and land important spots on House and Senate committees, bringing years of experience, sometimes a rapport with people high up in foreign governments.  Sure, often bad ones are elected over and over, but that's more the fault of the populace making poorly informed choices.  

#44 o311mc

o311mc

Beyond Mere Titles

• LT Founder
  • 3198 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

Ditch social safety net so that the rich can get even more obscenely rich?  No thank you.

Huh?

#45 Farmer Vincent

Farmer Vincent

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 22707 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

POPULAR

Huh?

We were talking on the subject of people ditching what some would call dependence on government and being more self sufficient.  The main motivation among Republicans these days is to do whatever it takes to give tax cuts to the rich (so that the rich can continue to fund their re-election campaigns), which means either make cuts somewhere or blow up the deficit.  I think they're angling for both.  But there sometimes comes an effort on the right to lump everyone on some sort of assistance into the imaginary worst sort of freeloader.  Of course we all know that's not the case.  There are people in a situation where they need help with obtaining basics for survival and society isn't quite callous enough yet to accept people dying in the streets from starvation, lack of shelter, or untended health issues.  I think you'll notice that the only ones who complain about things like food stamps are people who've never been in a position to need them.  Know what it's like to be 60 or older, have bills to pay, maybe have a disability, and try to find some work?  There's been signals going out that Social Security is in the crosshairs.  That's not a handout, that's a social contract with the government that honest working people have paid into with the promise of it being there after they retire.  Taking that away would be no different than socking money away in a bank and then the bank refusing to let you withdraw.  

We have to be realistic about all of this.  Social safety nets are necessary if we're going to continue to be a developed country with an advanced society.  There's always going to be abuse of the system in some way, but it's just too unfair to yank the rug out from under the majority who truly need that help to keep their heads above water.  Without it there'd be a whole lot of desperate people doing desperate things to survive.  

#46 o311mc

o311mc

Beyond Mere Titles

• LT Founder
  • 3198 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

We were talking on the subject of people ditching what some would call dependence on government and being more self sufficient.  The main motivation among Republicans these days is to do whatever it takes to give tax cuts to the rich (so that the rich can continue to fund their re-election campaigns), which means either make cuts somewhere or blow up the deficit.  I think they're angling for both.  But there sometimes comes an effort on the right to lump everyone on some sort of assistance into the imaginary worst sort of freeloader.  Of course we all know that's not the case.  There are people in a situation where they need help with obtaining basics for survival and society isn't quite callous enough yet to accept people dying in the streets from starvation, lack of shelter, or untended health issues.  I think you'll notice that the only ones who complain about things like food stamps are people who've never been in a position to need them.  Know what it's like to be 60 or older, have bills to pay, maybe have a disability, and try to find some work?  There's been signals going out that Social Security is in the crosshairs.  That's not a handout, that's a social contract with the government that honest working people have paid into with the promise of it being there after they retire.  Taking that away would be no different than socking money away in a bank and then the bank refusing to let you withdraw.  

We have to be realistic about all of this.  Social safety nets are necessary if we're going to continue to be a developed country with an advanced society.  There's always going to be abuse of the system in some way, but it's just too unfair to yank the rug out from under the majority who truly need that help to keep their heads above water.  Without it there'd be a whole lot of desperate people doing desperate things to survive.

I didn't say get rid of anything, I was speaking to people taking individual responsibility for themselves. Didn't mean to envoke a leftist rant on how mean the republicans are to people that need help? Social safety nets? WOW

#47 Farmer Vincent

Farmer Vincent

Village Constable

• Moderators
  • 22707 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

I didn't say get rid of anything, I was speaking to people taking individual responsibility for themselves. Didn't mean to envoke a leftist rant on how mean the republicans are to people that need help? Social safety nets? WOW

You said, "Far too many of us are reliant upon uncle Sam to feed and cloth us.", which has been a common meme used by the right to justify cuts to the social safety net, which in turn makes it easier to give tax cuts to the rich.  If you weren't referring to the social safety net, then a better choice of words is needed.

#48 Pastor of Muppets

Pastor of Muppets

Cha-Ching!!!

• LancTalkers
  • 16395 posts
  • Locationcolumbia

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

You said, "Far too many of us are reliant upon uncle Sam to feed and cloth us.", which has been a common meme used by the right to justify cuts to the social safety net, which in turn makes it easier to give tax cuts to the riches.  If you weren't referring to the social safety net, then a better choice of words is needed.

I cannot like post 45 enough. You spoke my mind much more eloquently than I could have.

#49 o311mc

o311mc

Beyond Mere Titles

• LT Founder
  • 3198 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

You said, "Far too many of us are reliant upon uncle Sam to feed and cloth us.", which has been a common meme used by the right to justify cuts to the social safety net, which in turn makes it easier to give tax cuts to the rich.  If you weren't referring to the social safety net, then a better choice of words is needed.

So you lumped my statement into a common meme? Nice. So how does far too many of US get turned into get rid of social security? I am paying into it as well. honestly you ar the first person I have heard refer to it as the social safety net, but I don't get out much. I am advocating more responsible use of tax money. You turned it into the rich get richer?
You brought up security nets as though my post was aimed at you, perhaps better comprehension is needed.

#50 Pastor of Muppets

Pastor of Muppets

Cha-Ching!!!

• LancTalkers
  • 16395 posts
  • Locationcolumbia

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

^^ I was following his train of thought and agreed with it. Maybe you don't get out as much as you should if you think republicans aren't a grave endangerment to Social Security and Medicare. Hint: They can't wait to take it away from you.

#51 o311mc

o311mc

Beyond Mere Titles

• LT Founder
  • 3198 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

^^ I was following his train of thought and agreed with it. Maybe you don't get out as much as you should if you think republicans aren't a grave endangerment to Social Security and Medicare. Hint: They can't wait to take it away from you.

I did not say they weren't,,,,ever. BOTH SIDES have mismanaged our money so badly that it is in danger of bankruptcy. let alone the politicos that want to plain steal it and give away to whomever. The republicans are not sitting all alone at the ready to do us wrong. If you think the democrats that live on the hill are worried about our well being anymore than the republicans, you need to get out more my friend.

#52 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 23590 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

POPULAR

Satire from The Borowitz Report

Trump Supporters Furious That They Still Have Health Care

5:57 P.M.

Borowitz-Trump-Supporters-Furious-That-T
Photograph by Sean Rayford / Getty

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—With a fury that could spell political trouble for Republicans in the midterm elections, Trump voters across the country on Friday expressed their outrage and anger that they still have health coverage.

“I went to bed Thursday night and slept like a baby, assuming that when I woke up I would have zero health insurance,” Carol Foyler, a Trump voter, said. “Instead, this nightmare.”

Harland Dorrinson, who voted for Trump “because he promised that he would take my health care away from me on Day 1,” said that he was “very upset” that he will still receive that benefit.

“I woke up this morning, and my family and I could still see a doctor,” he said. “This is a betrayal.”

Many Trump supporters said that congressional Republicans “gave up too soon” in their efforts to deprive ordinary Americans like them of their health care.

“They should not take August off,” Calvin Denoit, a Trump supporter, said. “They should stay in Washington and keep working until I totally lose my coverage.”

For Trump voters like Benoit, the abject disappointment of continuing to have health care raises fears about which other campaign promises might soon be broken.

“Now I don’t know what to believe,” he said. “Are we still going to get to pay billions of dollars in taxes for that wall?”

https://www.newyorke...itz Newsletter (1)&CNDID=7556320&spMailingID=11581381&spUserID=MTk3ODc2NDc2ODQ4S0&spJobID=1202576548&spReportId=MTIwMjU3NjU0OAS2

Edited by prettylight, 28 July 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#53 o311mc

o311mc

Beyond Mere Titles

• LT Founder
  • 3198 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

POPULAR

Borowitz can put a funny spin on things. LOL

#54 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 23590 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

People, Not Politicians, Beat Health Care Repeal

People from all walks of life, in small towns and big cities, in red districts and blue, have waged a historic effort.

READ MORE »

#55 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 23590 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

as FV reminds us, it's time to start celebrating again

:(

#56 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 23590 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

courtesy of GeezUS, lol:

People Who Feared Obama Would Take Their Guns Happy to Have Trump Take Their Health Care

1:34 P.M.

Borowitz-Guns-Trump-Healthcare-2.jpg
Photograph by Timothy Fadek / Redux

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Americans who feared that Barack Obama would come for their guns are happy that Donald Trump is coming for their health care, a new report finds.

In interviews conducted across the country, people expressed satisfaction that, by taking away their ability to see a doctor rather than their ability to shoot people, the federal government “finally has its priorities straight.”

“I couldn’t get a night’s sleep, worrying about Obama taking away my guns,” Carol Foyler, a gun owner from Kentucky, said. “Now that we have a President who’s just taking away my family’s health care, I can breathe easier.”

Harland Dorrinson, a gun fancier from Wyoming, concurred. “In Europe, everyone has health care and no one has guns,” he said. “You couldn’t pay me to live there.” Noting that thousands of people die in hospitals every year, he added, “Health care has killed more people than guns have.”

Tracy Klugian, a gun hobbyist in Florida, said he strongly supported the Trump Administration’s policy, which he summarized as, “If you like the guns you have, you can keep those guns.”

He said that the prospect of becoming ill without health insurance does not concern him in the least. “If I get a disease, I’ll shoot at it,” he said.

https://www.newyorke...eir-health-care

Edited by prettylight, 21 September 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#57 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 23590 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

Republicans Sadly Admit Their Dream of Keeping Poor People from Living Longer Is Over

3:58 P.M.

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Saddened and more than a little wistful, Senate Republicans acknowledged on Tuesday that their long-standing dream of keeping poor people from living longer was at its end.

Choking back tears, Senator Lindsey Graham admitted that his crusade to halt the longevity of the poor had turned out to be a quixotic one at best.

“I always thought that preventing the poor from living longer was a bedrock Republican principle,” he said bitterly. “I guess I was wrong.”

more at

https://www.newyorke...TI0MjI4NTYxOQS2

Edited by prettylight, 26 September 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#58 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 23590 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

POPULAR

LuckovichCollapse_1000.jpg

https://www.truthdig.com/cartoons/

#59 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 23590 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

States That Voted for Trump Are Most Hurt by His Health Care Decision

Nearly 70 percent of those benefiting from cost-sharing subsidies live in states the president won in November.

#60 prettylight

prettylight

unpaid poster

• LancTalkers
  • 23590 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

"Bleeding the base" –> Brian Dickerson writes for The Detroit Free Press that 70 percent of those who will be affected by Donald Trump's decision to halt cost-sharing payments to insurers live in states that he won in 2016, and wonders why the president is "targeting the elements of the Affordable Casre Act that most benefit his supporters?"

One part of the answer is that he can. The New York Times' David Leonhardt looks at what Trump’s supporters are hearing about the move from the conservative media. Outlets like Fox News and right-wing radio are framing Trump's actions as great news, delivering cost savings and greater access. But these perspectives, Leonhardt writes, "depend on a basic misperception about the way that insurance works."

Edited by prettylight, 16 October 2017 - 01:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Borowitz Report

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users