• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

It would be nice to have an area where computer geeks could help those of us who are computer challenged learn to navigate the deep waters of the internet et al.

For example, javascript "ju check" keeps requesting to load onto my computer. Norton states the publisher is "unknown". Is "ju check" legit??

Yesterday I needed help downloading music to email to Maffimuk for future use on LancTalk. He instructed me how to do this via text message.

I'm also struggling to download and use youtube videos for posts. Can never seem to remember how to post a youtube video on any of the forums.

#2 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

bump

#3 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

Instructions

• Step 1 Uninstall all your Java consols and any other java that you may have. Turn on your fire wall and unplug or shutdown your internet connection.
  • Step 2 Open your control panel by going to "start" - "Control Panel"
  • Step 3 Inside your "Control Panel" open the "Folder Options" icon and click the tab at the top of the folder options window that says "View" and check the box that says "Show Hidden Files and Folders" then uncheck the box that says "Hide protected Operating System Files."
  • Step 4 After changing your folder options as indicated above, open "My Computer" from your desktop, then enter your C:// drive folder. Scroll down until you find the folder "System 32" and open it.
  • Step 5 Inside the "System 32" folder, scroll and till you find the folder "dllcache" and open it (this file might be one to appear faded).
  • Step 6 After Opening the "dllcache" file scroll until you find JUCHECK.EXE, then delete it. If your having trouble deleting it then you may want to shut off your automatic updates using your control panel, and open the task manager by pressing alt+ctrl+del at the same time and ending all processes names jucheck.exe, wuaccult.exe, and any unfamiliar ones. After ending the jucheck.exe process you will have seconds to delete it before it automatically starts again. So you have to be quick.
  • Step 7 Then after your sure you have deleted the jucheck.exe, be sure to reinstall java and set your settings back the way you had them. Some people say jucheck is java's automatic update. THEY ARE WRONG please know this is a trojan virus. This virus will eat up your computer fast or slow without you knowing and by the time you do it might be to late! This virus disguises itself as java update to bypass your firewall and copies secondary files into your computer rapidly and non stop until your computer has no more memory, it also sends your personal information through the internet. Worse one I have ever encountered.

If jucheck is a virus then why does the Microsoft blue and gold shield appear on my tool bar at the bottom of my computer screen? Doesn't Norton block that?

#4 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

Ok - I am having trouble with these instructions. Step #3 does not exist on my computer.

Could I meet someone at an internet cafe to correct this problem??

#5 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Ok - I am having trouble with these instructions. Step #3 does not exist on my computer.

Could I meet someone at an internet cafe to correct this problem??

Sure, but it will have to be tomorrow afternoon, I still have little one.

Ok - I am free until 6:00pm. Call me/text and I'll meet you somewhere. thank you

#6 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

I just opened my start menu, typed Java under "search". clicked on Java - a black box with white type briefly flashes on the screen then nothing.

hmmmm

#7 GeezUS

GeezUS

Axis Of Weevils

• LancTalkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4838 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

Jucheck is a virus...

Not according to the Sun Java website:

Q: I found two processes—jucheck.exe and jusched.exe—running in the background of my system after installing JRE. Is there a way to shut them down? A: jusched.exe is the scheduler process of Java Update; jucheck.exe is the process for checking/performing updates in Java Update. These processes run automatically and transparently to users. To shutdown these processes, simply uncheck the "Check for Updates Automatically" checkbox in the Update tab of Java Control Panel.

http://java.sun.com/....html#processes

But... if you have doubts, then go to download dot com and download Malwarebytes (it's FREE). Install it, make sure you update the malware database and then run it. It will find just about any malware. I run it about once a month... whenever I feel my computer may be running a little sluggish... just in case.

Also, go into your Control Panel. Under Programs you should see a link that says Change Startup Programs. Click on it. When the box comes up scroll down until you see Java™ and DISABLE it. Jusched.exe lies there.

Screenshot below:

Posted Image

When I became convinced that the Universe is natural -- that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. I was free -- free to think, to express my thoughts -- free to live to my own ideal -- free to live for myself and those I loved -- free to use all my faculties, all my senses -- free to reject all ignorant and cruel creeds, all the "inspired" books that savages have produced -- free from popes and priests -- free from the fear of eternal pain -- free from devils, ghosts and gods. I was free. ~Robert G. Ingersoll - 1896

#8 GeezUS

GeezUS

Axis Of Weevils

• LancTalkers
  • 4838 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

For Kate, I would recommend checking her Startup Programs first... just in case JAVA isn't DISABLED. Then seeing if the alerts keep coming up.

I'd still have her download and install Malwarebytes and run it. There could be other malicious software running on her computer. Most virus programs don't do a great job of stopping malware. I'd also run Spybot - Search & Destroy (also FREE) as a backup to Malwarebytes.
When I became convinced that the Universe is natural -- that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. I was free -- free to think, to express my thoughts -- free to live to my own ideal -- free to live for myself and those I loved -- free to use all my faculties, all my senses -- free to reject all ignorant and cruel creeds, all the "inspired" books that savages have produced -- free from popes and priests -- free from the fear of eternal pain -- free from devils, ghosts and gods. I was free. ~Robert G. Ingersoll - 1896

#9 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

Thanks - I will try doing that.

Yesterday morning I had to reboot my computer three times because it was very slow. I thought it was Norton updating/scanning but that wasn't the case.

#10 Artie See

Artie See

concerned citizen

• LT Founder
  • 1183 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

For Kate, I would recommend checking her Startup Programs first... just in case JAVA isn't DISABLED. Then seeing if the alerts keep coming up.

I'd still have her download and install Malwarebytes and run it. There could be other malicious software running on her computer. Most virus programs don't do a great job of stopping malware. I'd also run Spybot - Search & Destroy (also FREE) as a backup to Malwarebytes.

Agreed. I've been using Spybot-S&D for quite a few years, with good results.
If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people — their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties — someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal." - John F. Kennedy

#11 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:00 PM

Ok - I downloaded Advanced Registry Optimizer that found 878 errors and fixed 100 of them. Then there were several other recommendations - malware sweeper? These sites can be so confusing - they want you to buy their product, of course.

These sites bombard people with advertising for other products that it is difficult to determine what programs are worth using.

yuck

#12 Artie See

Artie See

concerned citizen

• LT Founder
  • 1183 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

Ok - I downloaded Advanced Registry Optimizer that found 878 errors and fixed 100 of them. Then there were several other recommendations - malware sweeper? These sites can be so confusing - they want you to buy their product, of course.

These sites bombard people with advertising for other products that it is difficult to determine what programs are worth using.

yuck

A registry optimizer won't correct spyware or virus issues. There are enough free products out there that there is NO need to purchase one.

I believe that Comcast's implementation of Symantec includes anti-malware as well as anti-virus. Did you try to download Norton via your Comcast account yet?
If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people — their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties — someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal." - John F. Kennedy

#13 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

yuck

A registry optimizer won't correct spyware or virus issues. There are enough free products out there that there is NO need to purchase one.

I believe that Comcast's implementation of Symantec includes anti-malware as well as anti-virus. Did you try to download Norton via your Comcast account yet?

Yes - did that last night.

#14 GeezUS

GeezUS

Axis Of Weevils

• LancTalkers
  • 4838 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

Ok - I downloaded Advanced Registry Optimizer that found 878 errors and fixed 100 of them. Then there were several other recommendations - malware sweeper?

I'd be very very careful about messing around with your registry. Not sure why you downloaded that program and went there first.

If you have malicious software infecting your computer Malwarebytes and/or Spybot - Search & Destroy will find it and get rid of it. Both programs go into your registry and remove them for you.

Noobs playing around with their system registry is like playing Russian roulette with a gun that has 5 bullets in it. Unless you know what you're doing... even if you're using a program called "Advanced Registry Optimizer" I'd still be going through each of the 878 errors line-by-line to make sure it wasn't messing with something important.

#15 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

Ok - I downloaded Advanced Registry Optimizer that found 878 errors and fixed 100 of them. Then there were several other recommendations - malware sweeper?

I'd be very very careful about messing around with your registry. Not sure why you downloaded that program and went there first.

If you have malicious software infecting your computer Malwarebytes and/or Spybot - Search & Destroy will find it and get rid of it. Both programs go into your registry and remove them for you.

Noobs playing around with their system registry is like playing Russian roulette with a gun that has 5 bullets in it. Unless you know what you're doing... even if you're using a program called "Advanced Registry Optimizer" I'd still be going through each of the 878 errors line-by-line to make sure it wasn't messing with something important.

uh oh.

#16 GeezUS

GeezUS

Axis Of Weevils

• LancTalkers
  • 4838 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Kate, it's been 3 days... so what did you find was the cause of your problem?

#17 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Kate, it's been 3 days... so what did you find was the cause of your problem?

My computer was fine. Maffimuk did some work on it for me. I no longer have trouble with ju check and the slowness went away. He installed Malwarebytes.

#18 GeezUS

GeezUS

Axis Of Weevils

• LancTalkers
  • 4838 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

My computer was fine. Maffimuk did some work on it for me. I no longer have trouble with ju check and the slowness went away. He installed Malwarebytes.

I'm happy to hear your computer wasn't infected and happy to hear that Maffimuk went out of his way to get the cr@p out of your system. I don't remember if I mentioned it above, but another must have FREE program is Ccleaner. Ccleaner gets rid of all those temp files resting in your system, programs and browsers. After about a week of surfing I end up with almost a GIG of temp files. Ccleaner gets rid of that garbage in less than a minute.

#19 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

I'm happy to hear your computer wasn't infected and happy to hear that Maffimuk went out of his way to get the cr@p out of your system. I don't remember if I mentioned it above, but another must have FREE program is Ccleaner. Ccleaner gets rid of all those temp files resting in your system, programs and browsers. After about a week of surfing I end up with almost a GIG of temp files. Ccleaner gets rid of that garbage in less than a minute.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

#20 Artie See

Artie See

concerned citizen

• LT Founder
  • 1183 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

CCleaner is a great program (I have used it), but be aware it does modify the registry.

#21 sandyinholtwood

sandyinholtwood

Senior Junior Member

• LT Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHoltwood

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

CCleaner is a great program (I have used it), but be aware it does modify the registry.

Which means???

#22 Artie See

Artie See

concerned citizen

• LT Founder
  • 1183 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

Which means???

Use it with caution, at your own risk. As someone else posted earlier, don't allow a registry cleaner to delete anything unless you understand what it is; otherwise, you could be left with an unusable computer.

#23 Citydweller

Citydweller

Head Inmate

• Administrators
  • 8667 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

This is why I want to remain a mac user. None of those programs (or nearly none of them) even exist for the mac OS, because none of them are needed.

"P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it must have been miscarried; therefore I beg you to write and let me know."
- Sir Boyle Roche, M.P.

#24 Artie See

Artie See

concerned citizen

• LT Founder
  • 1183 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

This is why I want to remain a mac user. None of those programs (or nearly none of them) even exist for the mac OS, because none of them are needed.

IIRC, Mac/Unix uses profile files? I remember what a pain it was editing them on our RS-6000 systems.

#25 GeezUS

GeezUS

Axis Of Weevils

• LancTalkers
  • 4838 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

I only use the "Cleaner" part of the program and as I've stated above I don't recommend anyone messing with their registry. It's not necessary. If your computer is slowing down it's not because of your registry.

Finally, I was pretty sure Kate's jucheck.exe wasn't a trojan because my wife saw the same thing popping up on her new Dell Studio laptop last month. When you buy a new laptop you'll get a ton of pop ups daily... everything from updating Windows 7, to whatever Dell installed like their DataSafe program, to other 3rd party programs like Java. Since my wife isn't operating systems savvy, I turned off all automatic updating. Now, if she gets any sort of pop up she knows to write down what the pop up is and NOT to install whatever it's asking for.

#26 Artie See

Artie See

concerned citizen

• LT Founder
  • 1183 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

Since my wife isn't operating systems savvy, I turned off all automatic updating.

The problem with that is, fixes are constantly being sent out for Windows and many programs to deal with recently-found threats.
If you are not running automatic updates, it is essential to update everything manually at least once a week.
I understand what you are saying, but if a zero-day drive-by attack appears, the updates might save the contents of your hard drive.

#27 GeezUS

GeezUS

Axis Of Weevils

• LancTalkers
  • 4838 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

The problem with that is, fixes are constantly being sent out for Windows and many programs to deal with recently-found threats. If you are not running automatic updates, it is essential to update everything manually at least once a week.

I'm the "IT" guy at home, so I know all about doing weekly (manual) updates.

I personally can't stand the auto-updates because softy sends updates that I do not need. For example:

Attached File  33.gif   7.93K   53 downloads

I don't run MS Office on my computers. The Dell laptop shipped with MS Works, but I never installed it. (I use OpenOffice dot org for word and spreadsheet stuff. It's FREE and it's great.) Yet, auto updating wants to install almost 15 megs of stuff into my operating system that I do not need. Hence the cancellation of auto updating. Now, if you're a noob about operating systems, then of course having the auto updater think for you is a good thing.

#28 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

Blue screen/computer crash

This morning I allowed an Adobe Reader update. after it was done everything appeared normal.

Went away from computer for a while and when I returned I "woke" the computer up and discovered a blue screen indicating that my computer had crashed. It told me to check my hardware and software to make certain I had installed them properly.

After a short while the black restart screen appeared and I restarted the computer in "safe mode".

I have no idea what happened but I will be doing a malwarebytes full computer scan.

#29 Kate

Kate

• LT Founder
  • 1975 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

Full computer scan free of malware. Wondering if the Adobe update caused the computer crash.

#30 GeezUS

GeezUS

Axis Of Weevils

• LancTalkers
  • 4838 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Full computer scan free of malware. Wondering if the Adobe update caused the computer crash.

Some updates require a system restart. You're given a choice of restarting now or later. Perhaps you clicked later, then your computer went into sleep mode messing with the restart later.

After any blue screen I'd run "Error-checking" on my hard drive. Open "Computer" and you'll see your drives. Right-click on your C drive (Local Disk) and choice Properties. Select the tab that says "Tools" and click "Error-checking." Let it do it's thing. It will probably restart your computer and do this check in DOS mode.

Attached File  55.jpg   82.55K   51 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users