Sign in to follow this  
lanzate

General Suggestions For Improvement

lanzate

I like the RSS news feeds for generating stories in which to comment but I don't think they should come up when I click the tab for "view new content". The stories that come up then should only be threads that have been commented on or started by LT members, IMO.

If there is not an active discussion of interests going on when I log on then I might browse all the categories with the RSS generated news stories but I'll always check what others are talking about first.

artiesee

If I leave this site for another,I have to sign in again when I come back,And,why doesn`t the newly replied to posts move to the top of the page?Some do,some don`t.

Are your cookies enabled?

This is the only site it happens on.Do I have to do something with my cookies(:lol:) just for this site?

PLEASE don't lose your cookies! :lol::lol::lol:

I've noticed the same thing, that if I leave the site for even a brief time, I need to log back in again.

Guest ceejay

If I leave this site for another,I have to sign in again when I come back,And,why doesn`t the newly replied to posts move to the top of the page?Some do,some don`t.

Are your cookies enabled?

This is the only site it happens on.Do I have to do something with my cookies(:lol:) just for this site?

Toss them? tongue.gif

Citydweller

Sorry for my unannounced absence... I was busy being "Judge Johnson" officially for the first time today.

We had to fix some crap that was going wrong at the back-end (thanks Kirk for the all-nighter!!!) and part of that involved cookie settings. If you continue to experience strange things like having to log on alot or forums not being readable, kill any cookies associated with lanctalk.com, clear your browser's cache and restart your browser.

And always remember, we try our best to give you an enjoyable experience for your dollar. In the event of a water landing, your seat cushion can be used to beat other passengers away from the exits.

Edited by Citydweller
Judge can't spell.

sandybobk

I believe that someone very special to this board is having a birthday tomorrow! Will her birthday be displayed at the bottom of the board like TB did before the upgrade?

Hope

I'm just checking to see if I can post, I had a some technical difficulties when I signed up.:unsure:

FDR

I'm just checking to see if I can post, I had a some technical difficulties when I signed up.:unsure:

Success!

The Silent One

I'm having an issue sending IMs. Not sure what the problem is. It says that the message has to be more than two words long and it was way more than two words long.

BeachgirlfromPA

Sorry for my unannounced absence... I was busy being "Judge Johnson" officially for the first time today.

We had to fix some crap that was going wrong at the back-end (thanks Kirk for the all-nighter!!!) and part of that involved cookie settings. If you continue to experience strange things like having to log on alot or forums not being readable, kill any cookies associated with lanctalk.com, clear your browser's cache and restart your browser.

And always remember, we try our best to give you an enjoyable experience for your dollar. In the event of a water landing, your seat cushion can be used to beat other passengers away from the exits.

Dear Judge.

Please don't ever stop sharing that unique brand of expression LOLOLOL You make me laugh and I've learned NOT to start reading your posts with a mouthful of coffee or tea! TY :)

Guest guest

I'm having an issue sending IMs. Not sure what the problem is. It says that the message has to be more than two words long and it was way more than two words long.

Are you still having the problem, or has it been resolved?

Guest guest

Just a quick note for your tech(s) to check why the "go to last post" link in LancTalk > Active content doesn't take you to the last post. Clicking the same link in the "normal" forum/thread does take you to the last post.

Entendu

Not sure if this is the thread to post this question but: why are there some threads I cannot leave a reply on (ie. the 3 Politics threads and some of the Feedback threads).

do i have to have posted X amount of times to open up these other sections (like unlocking new levels in a video game??).

artiesee

Not sure if this is the thread to post this question but: why are there some threads I cannot leave a reply on (ie. the 3 Politics threads and some of the Feedback threads).

do i have to have posted X amount of times to open up these other sections (like unlocking new levels in a video game??).

As far as I know, you should be able to post on any of the public threads. We have been having a LOT of trouble with cookies; a number of different users have reported unusual problems that have been corrected by deleting their cookies.

Please try this: some browsers have a menu item to delete cookies. If yours doesn't, please delete your cache and your history. If you don't know how to do this, please let us know what browser you are using, and we will try to help.

If that doesn't fix it, PLEASE let us know. We may need to get our IT volunteers involved.

Guest visitor

Just a quick note for your tech(s) to check why the "go to last post" link in LancTalk > Active content doesn't take you to the last post. Clicking the same link in the "normal" forum/thread does take you to the last post.

Hey guys... it's been over a week and this "bug" still hasn't been fixed. What's up?

Guest visitor

Hey guys... it's been over a week and this "bug" still hasn't been fixed. What's up?

I checked into this and did not locate any issues. Perhaps I am not understanding your issue. When I click on Today's Active Content it takes me to all posts listed for the day in the order they were posted by date and time. These are all posts in every forum. If I click on View New Content it takes me to the newest threads posted in the order the thread was listed in the forum by date and time. If this is not what you are talking about could please describe in detail what you mean. Thank you.

It seems to be working fine when I just tried it a few minutes ago. The arrows and links, when clicked, are now taking me to the last post in the thread. Before, if a thread had (lets say) 17 posts and I clicked to go the the last post in the thread, it would take me to the first post and then I would have to scroll down.

Now if you could only filter out the LTnewsDawg bot posts from that particular forum and just leave the real people (last posts). : )

nvh

My cookies won't stop drinking.

Am I enabling them?

But seriously, it would be nice to have a science thread to discuss important issues like lesbian mice, hermaphrodite frogs or favorite predatory insects if you ever rearrange the furniture.

FDR

My cookies won't stop drinking.

Am I enabling them?

But seriously, it would be nice to have a science thread to discuss important issues like lesbian mice, hermaphrodite frogs or favorite predatory insects if you ever rearrange the furniture.

Lesbian mice? Seriously? The notion is just bizarre enough that I'm most likely going to go check it out. Either way I'm wasting my time because I could care less about the sexual preference and activities of mice. That said if I go searching and find you wasted my time I'm going to be looking for someones ass to kick! LOL Kidding of course.

Citydweller

I just added the "Weird News" area in the news category, and in that process the science thing occurred to me. So, it's on the list... just let me ponder a few organizational issues, as well as dealing with Ron Paul sneaking into unrelated thread titles.

Sensible

I am the first to admit that I am completely hopeless at techstuff.

But I wonder if a permanent place called either "LancTalk 101" or "LancTalk for Dummies" (might be copyrighted maybe) wouldn't

be helpful. I get myself into trouble sometimes learning by just pushing buttons and clicking on things to see what happens. But a

tutorial for the online intimidated might be a good thing.

Citydweller

Sensible, see the LT Peer Support area for the help that you speak of.

Sensible

Sensible, see the LT Peer Support area for the help that you speak of.

I went there and got all excited about the hint to go to "active content". But active content has everything that LTnewsdawg posts! And that's my problem.

I am finding this site overwhelming. It's like being at the Jersey shore when the surf is rough and you can't catch your breath between waves. I

feel like I am drowning in all the new content and have trouble finding threads with conversations in all the waves of new news. Is there any way that

the active content could contain just the stuff that has received comments, and not everything posted for the day? Or is there another button to click

that will give me just the threads that have comment taking place? Thanks.

K8fearsnoart

I went there and got all excited about the hint to go to "active content". But active content has everything that LTnewsdawg posts! And that's my problem.

I am finding this site overwhelming. It's like being at the Jersey shore when the surf is rough and you can't catch your breath between waves. I

feel like I am drowning in all the new content and have trouble finding threads with conversations in all the waves of new news. Is there any way that

the active content could contain just the stuff that has received comments, and not everything posted for the day? Or is there another button to click

that will give me just the threads that have comment taking place? Thanks.

as of right now, there is no way for you to only view threads that have been commented upon.

you may have to go back a few pages from the first to find threads other than LTnewsdawg's.

we're still new, and the weekends can be very slow.

welcome to lanctalk!

Citydweller

This is a tricky area that we've been playing with and adjusting as we go, and there are limitations to the software version we are currently running. I take it you want threads that have replies to them to rise to the top of the search lists, and we haven't found a way to do this yet.

On other boards that are completely populated by member-generated content this isn't as much of an issue, because everything you see was posted by a member. Since we import news stories from a variety of sources to fuel discussions, we get stuck with topics that don't generate interest along with the ones that do. We can't control what people will/won't be interested in, but we do "prune" all the forums regularly and remove all topics with no replies to them after a day or so on the boards.

We have also throttled back how many new topics are imported from each news source, and how often, but there is a balance to maintain there as well, as we want news to be fresh and relevant when it arrives. For instance, LNP's letters to the editor didn't show up today until I manually imported them this afternoon, because we throttled back that feed to refresh only once per day, and our system has no idea when LNP is going to update it's feed each day.

The bottom line is that ANY topic that receives a reply rises to the top of the list, until something new comes along. The more user posting activity there is, the more likely it is that topics at/near the top of the list will be ongoing discussions instead of new news items.

As soon as our generous sponsors have the time to deal with upgrading to the newest version of IP Board, there will be new search capabilities. In the meantime please bear with our two-month-old efforts and try to enjoy the discussions.

Sensible

This is a tricky area that we've been playing with and adjusting as we go, and there are limitations to the software version we are currently running. I take it you want threads that have replies to them to rise to the top of the search lists, and we haven't found a way to do this yet.

On other boards that are completely populated by member-generated content this isn't as much of an issue, because everything you see was posted by a member. Since we import news stories from a variety of sources to fuel discussions, we get stuck with topics that don't generate interest along with the ones that do. We can't control what people will/won't be interested in, but we do "prune" all the forums regularly and remove all topics with no replies to them after a day or so on the boards.

We have also throttled back how many new topics are imported from each news source, and how often, but there is a balance to maintain there as well, as we want news to be fresh and relevant when it arrives. For instance, LNP's letters to the editor didn't show up today until I manually imported them this afternoon, because we throttled back that feed to refresh only once per day, and our system has no idea when LNP is going to update it's feed each day.

The bottom line is that ANY topic that receives a reply rises to the top of the list, until something new comes along. The more user posting activity there is, the more likely it is that topics at/near the top of the list will be ongoing discussions instead of new news items.

As soon as our generous sponsors have the time to deal with upgrading to the newest version of IP Board, there will be new search capabilities. In the meantime please bear with our two-month-old efforts and try to enjoy the discussions.

Seriously, not complaining, just feels like I am drowning in the waves of new stuff.

Thanks for answering.

Daisy Lee Myers

like to post movies... like "chanel and igor."

currently "at the movies."

prettylight

This isn't so much a suggestion for improvement as feedback on the new "Members Authentic" description, in our posts.

It cracks me up...we had to be updated, along with Lancaster! Very good....

biggrin.gif

Citydweller

We felt it was foundational to our community to have brand statements that gave us bracketed positioning within the confluence of the aggregate blogosphere.

lanzate

I'm wondering if there is a way to split the screen in half. Have all the topics that have been responded to on the left and then a separate column on the right with new news items waiting for comments. Each could have their own scroll bar. Having them separated but all up on the screen at the same time would allow for bouncing back and forth between them without burying a thread in new topics.

Becky

I'm wondering if there is a way to split the screen in half. Have all the topics that have been responded to on the left and then a separate column on the right with new news items waiting for comments. Each could have their own scroll bar. Having them separated but all up on the screen at the same time would allow for bouncing back and forth between them without burying a thread in new topics.

Too many topics. One example - Ron Paul's blog - if it's not working - take it down!