General Suggestions For Improvement

• 2 months later...
Citydweller

When did all the ads start?

The ads started last night, after I spent some hours testing the ad capabilities and ditching the more obnoxious options, and now we are just "test driving" google ads to see how they run.

But "all the ads" ? One ad at the top and bottom of each page, and one text ad at the beginning of a thread is nothing, literally. But if you'd rather contribute directly to support the site and not see any ads, that will also be an option down the road a bit.

And Maffi is correct, we would like to encourage local advertising vs. canned shit from everywhere. As we make progress integrating the ad technology there will be options for local businesses who want target their ads here in Lancaster. Stay tuned.

You gotta pay the bills. I know what it costs to maintain a site, and the ads do not bother me one bit.

Another way is to accept donations to become a "Supporter". Those who do this could get access to special forums, greater PM capacity, stuff like that.

Citydweller

You gotta pay the bills. I know what it costs to maintain a site, and the ads do not bother me one bit.

Another way is to accept donations to become a "Supporter". Those who do this could get access to special forums, greater PM capacity, stuff like that.

Thank you for showing some basic understanding of our situation. It's not fair to our host to expect them to just give us first-class hosting and unlimited bandwidth and support for free, if we have the ability to generate some revenue. And now that we have the capability to serve ads, and potentially create a "supporter" class of members, we are obliged to do what we can to earn our keep.

Not to put too fine a point on it again, but there ain't no millionaires backing this joint up. We're all just working stiffs, our host included.

We're not in any rush to suddenly flood the place with ads or demand support money - we're going to take things one step at a time and see what balances well. You will see changes, sometimes temporary, as we figure out what works best for all of us as a community, and as things fit together they will become part of how LT works.

As for the "intelligence" ad, I missed it too. I seem to be targeted for grocery coupons and political rants. Go figure.

As for the "intelligence" ad, I missed it too. I seem to be targeted for grocery coupons and political rants. Go figure.

So I'm the only one getting it?

Oh well.

Don't worry head. The computer will do all the thinking from now on!

Edited by gp80mac

So I'm the only one getting it?

Maybe it's intelligence in the sense of "military intelligence" or "central intelligence agency" rather than intelligence as "ability to reason"..

Because of the posts you make, and the other sites you visit, the advertising server thinks you'd make a good spy.

"Bond," you say. "Bottled in Bond".