Sign in to follow this  
LTnewsDawg

Dunce cap for school drug tests

Guest daddyG

Clipper Stadium is concrete with individual seats. School bleachers are metal benches on a metal frame. The bathrooms are located in the school. They are used by students and teachers during the week and Friday nights for football games. I would bet the insurance portion is pennies when added in with the general liability of the school policy. Perhaps we should make all attendees sign a non-liability waiver when coming to the games?

In the meantime, I found another line item on the budget that just says activity income of $250,000. So, the actual costs for ALL extra curricular activities (that would include band, chess club, sports, cheerleading, etc.) is only $750,000. Heck, you can't get a babysitter for that many kids for an entire school season with that amount of money. We are talking afternoons, nights and weekends!

Unless of course you are volunteering....... :skype_emoticons_set_2_5590_2599

Edited by daddyG

HarlDelos

In the meantime, I found another line item on the budget that just says activity income of $250,000. So, the actual costs for ALL extra curricular activities (that would include band, chess club, sports, cheerleading, etc.) is only $750,000. Heck, you can't get a babysitter for that many kids for an entire school season with that amount of money. We are talking afternoons, nights and weekends!

Allow me to applaud,that between admissions tickets, naming rights, bake sales and fees from parents, they are only taking $750,000 that ought to be educating kids, and putting it towards entertaining the community.

So how about sending home a note to parents, asking them to sign it, forfeiting all of the kid's constitutionally-guaranteed rights, to be returned with a check for $126 to cover 3 drug tests to be administered randomly through the school year?

Guest daddyG
that ought to be educating kids

So band, drama, chorus and sports is not educating kids? You may want to do a little research on that opinion. Kids who participate in extracurricular activities have better grades, make better students, go to better colleges and earn more money. In other words, a large majority of them become productive members of society which if you look around are becoming more and more extinct. You of all people need workers because they are keeping you alive at this time.

My proposal. I say we can about 5 administrators at each school district and do away with the lavish pension benefit and triple the extracurricular budget. Now that is an investment in America!!

Citydweller

Kids who participate in extracurricular activities have better grades, make better students, go to better colleges and earn more money.

Now how on earth could that even be possible if they're all fried on drugs? No kid that needs random testing just to get through the school day could possibly achieve so much.

Guest daddyG

Isn't that the point? They aren't fried on drugs. They don't do drugs.

Why you ask?

:hearye:

BECAUSE THEY ARE DRUG TESTED!

Edited by daddyG

HarlDelos

So band, drama, chorus and sports is not educating kids? You may want to do a little research on that opinion. Kids who participate in extracurricular activities have better grades, make better students, go to better colleges and earn more money. In other words, a large majority of them become productive members of society which if you look around are becoming more and more extinct. You of all people need workers because they are keeping you alive at this time.

You will find that Amish students, who do not participate in band, drama, chorus or sports are better students and get better grades, but they don't go to college at all for religious reasons. You will find that kids who have after-school jobs get better grades and are better students, but they don't go to better colleges because they can't afford them. You will find that kids who get brand new Corvettes (or other expensive cars) as 16th birthday presents, kids who have experience playing Polo, kids whose parents drink Johnny Walker Blue at $165 per fifth, have better grades, go to better colleges and earn more money, but it's not because they participate in band, drama, chorus and sports; it's because their parents are loaded (which is why they have time after school to waste in recreations like band, drama, chorus, and sports.

My proposal. I say we can about 5 administrators at each school district and do away with the lavish pension benefit and triple the extracurricular budget. Now that is an investment in America!!

Which administrators? The ones that order food for the cafeteria? The ones that get the copier machines serviced? The ones that ensure that the grass gets mowed? The ones that make sure the busses get kids to school? How about the ones that purchase supplies to paint lines on the football field?

So how about sending home a note to parents, asking them to sign it, forfeiting all of the kid's constitutionally-guaranteed rights, to be returned with a check for $126 to cover 3 drug tests to be administered randomly through the school year?

You still haven't answered my question. I worked after school in high school. I had to; that's what paid for my clothes, my books, my lunches. Why not demand that kids from rich families, the ones that have free time to spend playing games after school, pay their own freight? Including the cost of drug tests for kids whose parents don't pay any attention to them. You know, I can't think of anybody with an after-school job who got messed up on drugs, or even on alcohol, for that matter. Money was too precious to us to waste that way. The ones that got drunk or stoned were kids from rich families.

nvh

Isn't that the point? They aren't fried on drugs. They don't do drugs.

Why you ask?

:hearye:

BECAUSE THEY ARE DRUG TESTED!

Bullfeathers!

You mean to suggest that before drug testing it was not true that "Kids who participate in extracurricular activities have better grades, make better students, go to better colleges and earn more money.", and only since the advent of "piss in a bottle" have kids thrived.

Fact is that kids in extracurricular activities are already part of the group that is least likely to abuse drugs, and all "piss in a bottle" will accomplish is turning some kids on the line into outcasts by keeping them out of band or chess club, and once in a while screwing with the life of a "good kid from a good home" who impulsively takes a hit on a bong.

But if "piss in a bottle" is such a powerful preventative, shouldn't all parents be doing it at home?

FDR

You'd have no choice, so you'd roll over? You wouldn't claim constitutional protection? You aughta read the thing. There is more than just the 2nd Amendment. Here's the 4th.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

There is nothing unreasonable about it. It is completely reasonable for those who are paying to educate these kids and to provide top notch sporting facilities to expect them to obey the rules set forth and to enforce those rules. Above and beyond that those kids and their parents agreed to it.

You ignore the benefits of it and ignore the fact that it makes the playing field equal too. You are all about equality so why is it that you don't support something that gives every kid the same opportunity? Get rid of the superstar druggies and the everyday kid will have a chance to play the game they love but don't get the chance to because those "gifted" athletes get the spot and the fun that goes along with it. Keep ignoring the problem if you want..................it isn't going away.

Guest daddyG
You will find that Amish students, who do not participate in band, drama, chorus or sports are better students and get better grades

:jptdknpa: Sure they do!

You will find that kids who have after-school jobs get better grades and are better students

:fshit:

You will find that kids who did not participate in extracurricular activities think they can just make stuff up to attempt to prove their point. My suggestion is since you are retired and have time on your hands, that you go attend your local school board meeting. Obviously you have no idea of how school works these days, where the money is being spent and how these items are being financed. Let us know what you find.

You still haven't answered my question.

Yes I did. You just didn't like the answer and then attempted to argue about what it cost, which was wrong.

will accomplish is turning some kids on the line into outcasts by keeping them out of band or chess club

So it helps some kids but others it hurts. Welcome to the world. We solved one problem but created another. Perhaps you can suggest something to help the kids who get turned away. I guess that Say No to Drugs program is a waste of money also?

But if "piss in a bottle" is such a powerful preventative, shouldn't all parents be doing it at home?

Sounds good to me. Should we make it a law?

FDR

He only wants new laws to prevent citizens from doing things that are legal. Laws that help to prevent or curb people from breaking the laws in place are a big "no no" for him. Rather comical isn't it? :skype_emoticons_set_2_5590_2599

HarlDelos

He only wants new laws to prevent citizens from doing things that are legal.

In this case, I want an OLD law to prevent government from doing things that are illegal.

no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

FDR

In this case, I want an OLD law to prevent government from doing things that are illegal.

no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

Imagine that. You conveniently want your version of the Constitution to take precedent over the real one. Meanwhile kids that obey the rules and obey the law aren't getting the chance to participate because the elite get the spot.......drugs and all. So much for equality.

nvh

There is nothing unreasonable about it. It is completely reasonable for those who are paying to educate these kids and to provide top notch sporting facilities to expect them to obey the rules set forth and to enforce those rules. Above and beyond that those kids and their parents agreed to it.

You ignore the benefits of it and ignore the fact that it makes the playing field equal too. You are all about equality so why is it that you don't support something that gives every kid the same opportunity? Get rid of the superstar druggies and the everyday kid will have a chance to play the game they love but don't get the chance to because those "gifted" athletes get the spot and the fun that goes along with it. Keep ignoring the problem if you want..................it isn't going away.

I never thought of holding chess club matches in the stadium. Do you think it would work?

Look, there are very good reasons to drug test in athletics. An athlete with 10 mg of Dexedrine in his blood has a distinct advantage over an undrugged athlete, bubbling with energy and aggression, and less likely to feel pain. He also is at some risk of popping a blood vessel or bursting his heart. The only way of leveling the field with a drugged athlete is to be drugged yourself. And then there are steroids...

But none of that applies to a dancer in a school musical or a nerd who took a hit on a bong the weekend before a quiz bowl meet, who could be disqualified from the EC for activity occuring days before the event that neither raise the risk of the activity or effect it's result in any way.

HarlDelos

Imagine that. You conveniently want your version of the Constitution to take precedent over the real one. Meanwhile kids that obey the rules and obey the law aren't getting the chance to participate because the elite get the spot.......drugs and all. So much for equality.

My version was ratified December 15, 1791. When did yours pass?

Guest daddyG
You conveniently want your version of the Constitution to take precedent over the real one.

Yet everyone should be mandated to buy health insurance.......... :gr_extra_2_11745_4699_thumb:

But none of that applies to a dancer in a school musical or a nerd who took a hit on a bong the weekend before a quiz bowl meet

Thank you lawyers..... and liberal ones at that. If they just could have left it alone, we would not be having these discussions.

Great point made this morning. We have been passing laws for over 200 years now. We need a reverse. It is getting out of hand. Should we erase it all and start from scratch or just can a ton of politicians. Massive political layoffs may help us all the way around.

nvh

So it helps some kids but others it hurts. Welcome to the world. We solved one problem but created another. Perhaps you can suggest something to help the kids who get turned away. I guess that Say No to Drugs program is a waste of money also?

Which kids does it help? The ones least likely to do drugs anyway?

And the kids that are caught. What do you do with them? Counseling? For what? Are we going to pretend that a kid who took a toke is an addict and burn all those resources for nothing?

So what would I suggest for at-risk kids? How about support from the schools, and inclusion in positive activities rather than ostracizing them. And no, I am not saying turning a blind eye to the kid who shows up for math bowl giggling to himself.

And "Just say no"? Like this.

Yeah, I think that's pretty stupid.

Kids need honest information. Otherwise they are going to blow off everything you say. Kids are not stupid.

What is honest information? Meth will turn you into an old man at 16. Cocaine, particularly smoked, is incredibly addicting and can fry your pleasure circuitry such that you will experience anhedonia, perhaps life long. Heroin will eat your soul, it is fairly easy to get a physical addiction, even in a week or two, or even with occasional use, even "sniffing". Marijuana will cause short term memory loss and cause poor judgment. And it IS illegal.

And (and this is crucial so as not to appear a hypocrite), alcohol is the most widely abused drug. It is horribly damaging and causes more death and disability that coke, meth and heroin put together. There are probably more than 10 million people in this country with a physical addiction to alcohol, and withdrawal from alcohol can kill you.

It's astonishing that folks want to pretend that alcohol is not a drug, and it is not dangerous. It is no accident that one of the major corporate sponsors of the "partnership for a Drug Free America" was Anheuser Busch.

My gawd no. But if parents think it will help their relationship and keep their kids off drugs, then they should do it, instead of dumping the idea on the schools.

gp80mac

I always wonder if that is just a correlation, though. Kids who actually take the time to study and are generally interested in learning may just be more willing take part in extra-curricular activities.

HarlDelos

Yet everyone should be mandated to buy health insurance..........

I think it would work better if we prohibited people without health insurance from riding in motorized transportation. That way, the EMTs can get paying customers to the emergency room without any delay caring for the deadbeats.

FDR

I never thought of holding chess club matches in the stadium. Do you think it would work?

Look, there are very good reasons to drug test in athletics. An athlete with 10 mg of Dexedrine in his blood has a distinct advantage over an undrugged athlete, bubbling with energy and aggression, and less likely to feel pain. He also is at some risk of popping a blood vessel or bursting his heart. The only way of leveling the field with a drugged athlete is to be drugged yourself. And then there are steroids...

But none of that applies to a dancer in a school musical or a nerd who took a hit on a bong the weekend before a quiz bowl meet, who could be disqualified from the EC for activity occuring days before the event that neither raise the risk of the activity or effect it's result in any way.

So you are saying that kids like yours(nerds and such) shouldn't be monitored but those who play a physical game shouldn't.

Took you long enough to admit and show your bias. So much for equality!

nvh

So you are saying that kids like yours(nerds and such) shouldn't be monitored but those who play a physical game shouldn't.

Took you long enough to admit and show your bias. So much for equality!

Is doping to create unfair advantage fairly common in Chorus? What kind of injuries can result?

And what makes you think that nerds don't play sports?

FDR

Is doping to create unfair advantage fairly common in Chorus? What kind of injuries can result?

And what makes you think that nerds don't play sports?

No worries. We understand how completely biased you are. Your hypocritical statement above tells it all. Maybe you aren't so liberal after all seeing you don't want equality when it comes to an issue like this.

Meanwhile the schools with testing policies in place are quite uniform and equal. By law they have to take kids of all kinds but in order to participate in extracurricular activities they may set and enforce policy as they see fit. In this case they are doing just that and you don't like it because some of the nerds and social outcasts will be prevented from playing chess or violin while you're fine with a football player being canned from the team for doing the same things. We get it buddy..............your slant is getting steeper.

nvh

No worries. We understand how completely biased you are. Your hypocritical statement above tells it all. Maybe you aren't so liberal after all seeing you don't want equality when it comes to an issue like this.

Meanwhile the schools with testing policies in place are quite uniform and equal. By law they have to take kids of all kinds but in order to participate in extracurricular activities they may set and enforce policy as they see fit. In this case they are doing just that and you don't like it because some of the nerds and social outcasts will be prevented from playing chess or violin while you're fine with a football player being canned from the team for doing the same things. We get it buddy..............your slant is getting steeper.

Ah, you see through the subterfuge.

Yes, it doesn't really have anything to do with concern that "doped" football players might kill themselves on the field or wreck their bodies using steroids, it is purely a desire to punish jocks.

Now if we can find a way to screen the Vo-Tech kids for Pabst Blue Ribbon use in the past week, and force them out of auto mechanics and into Glee Club, our long term plan to pussify the nation will succeed.

Guest daddyG

Have no fear. We have bath salts, prescription drugs, X, mushrooms and sugar to exploit. America will always love to abuse things - no matter what laws and rules we have in place.

culturalinfidel

Oh, by the way.

Happy 4/20 everyone!

Later....CI

Guest daddyG

What are you celebrating?

Hitler's Birthday, the San Francisco earthquake, the Columbine shootings or the Deepwater Horizon explosion?

See what happens when people smoke pot........ :cool0044:

HarlDelos

What are you celebrating?

Hitler's Birthday, the San Francisco earthquake, the Columbine shootings or the Deepwater Horizon explosion?

See what happens when people smoke pot........ :cool0044:

Yeah, they build a ballpark in Boston. It's also the birthday of the old Tiger park.

Sign in to follow this