Sign in to follow this  
gp80mac

The Lanc in LancTalk

gp80mac

I posted this on Lancaster Online. Since it refers to this site here, I'll post it here as well. That way nobody can accuse me of playing favorites:

Both of these Lancaster-type forums lost their identity years ago. They used to be places discusses, well, Lancaster things in depth. Sure there was national and political topics, but it was the local stuff that made these sites worth visiting. But now? The local discussion take a very distant back seat to all the generic political and national crap that overfills every Facebook, NBC-CNN-FOX-MSNBC site, and yahoo story discussion board. There is nothing that makes these Lancaster boards any different. I wonder if the most outspoken and vocal participants to these sites even have any connection to Lancaster?

With the new comment section LOL has under each article, I doubt Talkback is going to be around for much longer.

Thoughts?

GeezUS

Messyg17

What Maff said!

I barely ever join the political chat, though I like to read and keep up with what others are saying about the political goings ons. I check that, the joke page and social issues then get back to what I should be doing around the house. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find much on any of the sites to join in on and add my 2 cents.

Citydweller

If there was anything all that interesting happening in Lancaster County, I would think people here would be talking about it here. The problem could be that Lancaster is just really boring lately when compared to anywhere else in the known world.

skeptic2mod

I would point to discussions on the county prison, the Taser death in Mount Joy, Dr. Carter, the Manheim Township library, LGH's northern campus, the county HRC and there are others.

What major happening in the county did we not discuss?

ClaraBLeonard

I don't see LancTalk mentioned anywhere, so it doesn't apply to us.... (snicker)

Seriously though, I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think who says what on the boards have really changed. As blogging and forum play got more popular the crazies and anyone with a phone line joined in. Change is sometimes hard to swallow, especially when the people doing the typing are either bat shit crazy or have the IQ of a Crayola box (and not the big box either, that little one with like ten colors and no sharpener on the back). Eventually the websites are inundated by new posters with wild opinions and weird ideas. The YP on Lincoln Highway was my favorite hangout for years. It was a small group of us that met regularly after work and on Friday nights. We had a blast. Then one day we noticed thugs. They became more and more popular and the jukebox even started to play hardcore rap. It was the beginning of the end for us. Now we gather on occasion at one another's house and I haven't set foot in the YP since. Is it their fault? No. Its just the next generation moving in. We either adapt or move on.

Many have an opinion as to why TB shutdown and why it got bad. You can point fingers all you want, but it was bound to become cesspool of inappropriate or off the wall rants anyways, it is the era we live in. Quite frankly, if I don't like a poster I just don't post with them or ignore them all together. It will never be the TB of old, unfortunately.

On the other hand, LancTalk doesn't moderate the way TB does. Its a completely.different style, and we prefer you vent regardless of who it offends. We only moderate some personal shit and we get real nasty when people persist in threatening or personal attacks. But for the most part we are a civil community. We are one.of the most viewed websites in PA, logging thousands of hits a day. Posters know this - they know what they say will be read by many. Some people join just to combat that one opinion and then never return. We don't care if you like us or hate us, we're not here to kiss anyone's ass, we don't don't fold to the whining complainers, we don't care if you come or go - but everyone knows that we ARE here and you will always be welcome, regardless of who you are or what you say/do (unless you're a spammer, hacker or a troll).

So if its the old TB style community you want, we try, but it won't ever be that. We are our own unique machine that hopes to accommodate your every disgust/delight with Lancaster, the president, your police, your toilet or your inner most emotions. For as long as you have an opinion, you'll have a place to post.

weird! Give me back my 3 minutes please. I read this 2x, shame on me.

skeptic2mod

So I seed the board several time a week with things I like as well as things that are of interest to others. People with a different point of view do the same, and it helps this board.

We could use more original threads. It doesn't need to be based on a published article.

culturalinfidel

So I seed the board several time a week with things I like as well as things that are of interest to others. People with a different point of view do the same, and it helps this board.

We could use more original threads. It doesn't need to be based on a published article.

Do all of those threads show up under "view new content"? I learned a little while back that the sports topics (I think) don't show up under "view new content".

Thanks...Shawn

skeptic2mod

Do all of those threads show up under "view new content"? I learned a little while back that the sports topics (I think) don't show up under "view new content".

Thanks...Shawn

Experience has shown that posting in the sections which don't show up under "view new content" is futile.

davebeans

Some of the topics I started out of the blue on Talkback had so many responses and went on for weeks at times. It blew my mind. Even topics like....

Apparently, we're not talking about bicycles on sidewalks. Every other thread on TB mentions it. I didn't realize it was such a problem. As many times as I've been in the city I don't think I've ever had an issue. But apparently it is important to some people.

bicycles on the sidewalk being TICKING TIMEBOMBS!!¡!¡!?!¿!!

When there was a lull in topics and articles posted by LOL near the end of Talkback we kind of made it up as we went along. The "Chick Fil A A Left Wing Plot To Fallen Up Right Wing Bigots" topic even had some good chatter until LOL pulled it.

Thanks, Goldie.

Becky

Goldi > :fight: < Davebeans

gp80mac

With the new comment section LOL has under each article, I doubt Talkback is going to be around for much longer.

Whaddya know, I was right...

Pastor of Muppets
Posted (edited)

Wow, what a kickback that one of "guests" was reading. I wonder what ever happened to maff, culturalinfedel, Dave bean's (probably died in his shed), gpmac80, and even the out right banned l3ecky. Lol.

Edited by Pastor of Muppets