LTnewsDawg

New pope fails litmus test

LTnewsDawg

As soon as the new pope was chosen, certain voices from the Democratic Party subjected him to the litmus tests. Although I am not Catholic, I was very disappointed to see how quickly these voices dismissed the new pope.They strained to acknowledge anything good about Pope Francis I because of his vi...

View the full article

skeptic2mod

First of all, various writers, even it's someone who formerly ran the party, DON'T speak for the Democratic party. So stuff your straw man- none of us is that stupid to argue with you, Steve.

Beyond that, the Catholic church really shouldn't give a damn about what a political party thinks.

This may be the dumbest column Mr. "Cornell" has ever written.

Edited by skeptic2

skeptic2mod

I can't stand to read it...is this truly ignorant "Christian" entirely blaming the Catholic church's scandal on unmarried priests who are all closeted homosexuals????

gp80mac

Country caters to the ignorant.

What a joke.

skeptic2mod

FWIW, Pastor Cornell nee Butts) is now being featured in the Washington Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/10/cornell-massachusetts-public-schools-impose-new-ru/?page=all

Sit down and read this one for a few minutes.

First, he says that (unnamed) writers at HuffPo are imposing a litmus test. Assume for a second that it's somebody like Howard Dean or Donna Brazile (which it isn't either of them). His arguments that they speak for the party are just stupid.

Then instead of quoting them, he quotes GLAAD.

Then he talks about how the gay agenda is to coerce those opposed to it. What is the coersion? That we bash him?

Then there is this cryptic reference to homosexuality and the Catholic church scandals. He should at least be able to consider whether just briefly mentioning something like that is fair.

The whole column is a piece of crap:

Columnists at HuffPo don't speak for the Democratic Party.

The Catholic church shouldn't pay attention to criticism from political leftists or the Christian right.

"Cornell" doesn't give a damn about the Catholic church.

He and others are not being coerced

The Democratic party is not anti-Christian.

It's so transparently silly. He doesn't like his critics and some of them criticised the Pope, but he's not smart enough to argue effectively.

Edited by skeptic2

mrkglsr65

With the increased polarization of our political camps, there is a temptation to lump folks into one side or the other. Even though he was once it's chairman, Howard Dean is not the official spokesman for the Democrats any more than Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity speak for the Republican National Committee.

ToldYouSo

Once again the liberal camp, who preaches acceptance and tolerance, shows their true colors against someone who does not believe like them.

If you don't like Steve, don't read what he writes.

gp80mac

Steven Butts.

post-44-0-81446500-1364136474.jpg

skeptic2mod

Once again the liberal camp, who preaches acceptance and tolerance, shows their true colors against someone who does not believe like them.

I read it and I commented on it.

It's not just that I disagree, it's that the statements are misleading.

If you don't like my posts, don't read them..

thatdavebeans

Some of the comments from the left are hurtful and biased against closeted homosexual Steve Cornell, and are bordering on hate speech. Shame on those people.

ToldYouSo
It's not just that I disagree, it's that the statements are misleading.

Funny, you seem to have 'selective' interpretations of what is misleading and what is not.

Politics is the problem in our country and you help fuel the fire.

Edited by ToldYouSo

thatdavebeans

Funny, you seem to have 'selective' interpretations of what is misleading and what is not.

skeptic2mod

The topic is Cornell. Is he a politician? Are the activists he dislikes politicians? Does the Catholic church throw itself fully behind one party?

And it's hardly about me that's pretty dimwitted, sorry.

I go to church. I like the Pope. I won't reject him or anyone based on disagreement on a single issue.

The D party accepts that some individuals there have worked for very conservative politicians.

gp80mac

I don't think we are more or less political, but before you actually had to write letters to the paper, talk to someone in person, yell at the TV, or argue with the pets.

Now any Joe Blow can sit on his fat ass in front of a screen posting to multiple forums and letting his voice be heard.

skeptic2mod

I don't think we are more or less political, but before you actually had to write letters to the paper, talk to someone in person, yell at the TV, or argue with the pets.

Now any Joe Blow can sit on his fat ass in front of a screen posting to multiple forums and letting his voice be heard.

sounds like me, except for being fat

:-)

Edited by skeptic2

prettylight

I go to church. I like the Pope. I won't reject him or anyone based on disagreement on a single issue.

:)

Was a little bit worried to see this "New pope fails litmus test" headline...wondering who he was "failing" with? So was relieved to see the context, that it wasn't more serious than this pastor's opinion. Glad there might still be hope for this pope, after all.

Citydweller

I watch the news just about every evening, NBC, Fox and BBC in concert or rotation. I've heard lots about the Pope's Italian heritage, his work with the poor, his bus pass, allegations he shied away from Argentine government atrocities, cleaning up the sex scandals.....but somehow I seem to have missed everything Mr. Butts has his panties in a bunch over.

I have to wonder is Steve is just a little too fixated on the "church's historic position".... bent over the hind end of an alter boy.

thatdavebeans

Glad there might still be hope for this pope, after all.

Women are naturally unfit for political office. Both the natural order and facts show us that the political being par excellence is male; the Scripture shows us that woman has always been the helper of man who thinks and does, but nothing more.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pope-francis-misogyny-homophobia-bigotry

I don't have much pope hope.

daisy-dog

Acidic or basic ?

thatdavebeans

?

skeptic2mod

Acidic or basic ?

pope hope= pH

Get it?

Sensible

pope hope= pH

Get it?

Technically, Ph, if you give him reverence. ;D

With the increased polarization of our political camps, there is a temptation to lump folks into one side or the other. Even though he was once it's chairman, Howard Dean is not the official spokesman for the Democrats any more than Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity speak for the Republican National Committee.

Thank you.

thatdavebeans

pope hope= pH

Get it?

Oh. Thanks.

Good one.

nvh

By gum, yes. Those damned Democrats, being intolerant of intolerant bigots.

thatdavebeans

By gum, yes. Those damned Democrats, being intolerant of intolerant bigots.

post-823-0-89683400-1364158179.jpg

ToldYouSo
Those damned Democrats, being intolerant of intolerant bigots.

Excellent way to set an example.

Pastor of Muppets

typical wingnut response. Only read or listen to people you agree with. Just discount anything out of the 'liberal media' because they are just a bunch of liars.

ToldYouSo

Hmmm.... I seem to recall reading quite a few of your responses that dismissed anything coming from a non-liberal source.

Another fine example.

Pastor of Muppets

Hmmm.... I seem to recall reading quite a few of your responses that dismissed anything coming from a non-liberal source.

Another fine example.

no, I read and listen to a lot including wingnut central fox. It helps my attempt to understand wingnut logic (oxymoron).