"We own...Fox News for the most part."

- Rush Limbaugh 3/21/13

fair and balanced......lol

nvh

Excellent way to set an example.

So folks should be tolerant of bigots?

ToldYouSo

Sure, why not?

You want others to cast aside their beliefs and morals to be tolerant of people, so yes, those who want tolerance should do the same.

It is like those who are against abortion should also be against the death penalty. You really can't have it both ways.

prettylight

It is like those who are against abortion should also be against the death penalty. You really can't have it both ways.

OT, but that's how it has always seemed to me, too. Valuing the unborn above the "born" has never made any sense to me, regardless of the arguments given for it (something like, that it's "innocent life"--and thus more valuable--until someone is born?).

nvh

Sure, why not?

You want others to cast aside their beliefs and morals to be tolerant of people, so yes, those who want tolerance should do the same.

That is not the point of contention.

During the civil rights struggle, the drive was to be equal under the law. There was no expectation that dyed-in-the-wool racists were going to change, only that they would no longer be able to legally discriminate against people of color.

And that is what gays want, and it is what I want for gays, to be equal under the law. There is no way to enforce 'tolerance'. People will still be free to cross the street and avert their eyes if they see 2 men holding hands. They will still be free to throw their child out of the house and never speak to them again if they find out they are gay. But people will not be allowed to legally discriminate against homosexuals in employment or housing, as they are today in many states. And they will not be allowed to to give legal and tax advantages to heterosexual couples that are denied to gay couples.

Bu folks will still be free to hate.

Edited by nvh

Goldi

Bu folks will still be free to hate.

Right on, liberals will be free to spew their hatred for anyone who disagrees with them, all the while claiming they are "tolerant".

Pastor of Muppets

Right on, liberals will be free to spew their hatred for anyone who disagrees with them, all the while claiming they are "tolerant".

bubblespeak. You are like $arah Paylin, always the victim. Edited by Pastor of Muppets

Sensible

bubblespeak. You are like $arah Paylin, always the victim.

Your response is leftwing bubblespeak. Translation: it's politically correct to be intolerant of Christianity, in fact, it's part of the liberal party platform.

culturalinfidel

Your response is leftwing bubblespeak. Translation: it's politically correct to be intolerant of Christianity, in fact, it's part of the liberal party platform.

How is championing equality under the law for homosexuals and homosexual couples being intolerant of Christianity?

Later...CI

gp80mac

So we can then agree that since conservatives don't claim to be "tolerant" they are also free to spew their hatred for anyone that disagrees with them?

Brampton

The most pathetic argument I have heard from bigots is when they think they are going to set the rules of "tolerance".

Pastor of Muppets

How is championing equality under the law for homosexuals and homosexual couples being intolerant of Christianity?

Later...CI

Let me try to answer. You are supposed to let the bigotry slide and not challenge it, or even point it out. They can be against equality while hiding behind the Bible. If you do point it out you are shoving the homosexual "agenda" in their face.

daisy-dog

Have these laws been repealed ?:

Leviticus 18

New International Version (NIV)

Unlawful Sexual Relations

18 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the Lord your God. 3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. 4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.

6 “‘No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord.

7 “‘Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; do not have relations with her.

8 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that would dishonor your father.

9 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.

10 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter; that would dishonor you.

11 “‘Do not have sexual relations with the daughter of your father’s wife, born to your father; she is your sister.

12 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister; she is your father’s close relative.

13 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, because she is your mother’s close relative.

14 “‘Do not dishonor your father’s brother by approaching his wife to have sexual relations; she is your aunt.

15 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; do not have relations with her.

16 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife; that would dishonor your brother.

17 “‘Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter. Do not have sexual relations with either her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter; they are her close relatives. That is wickedness.

18 “‘Do not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living.

19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.

20 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife and defile yourself with her.

21 “‘Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

23 “‘Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.

24 “‘Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. 25 Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. 26 But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, 27 for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. 28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.

29 “‘Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people. 30 Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God.’â€

Edited by daisy-dog

Brampton

19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.

Gee, I don't happen to see any defense of marriage acts over this one.

I guess your Leviticus is the pick-n-choose style?

ToldYouSo
folks will still be free to hate

I guess you have no problem with Stevie being allowed to publish his column then.

Pastor of Muppets

Have these laws been repealed ?:

Leviticus 18

New International Version (NIV)

Unlawful Sexual Relations

18 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the Lord your God. 3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. 4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.

6 “‘No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord.

7 “‘Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; do not have relations with her.

8 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that would dishonor your father.

9 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.

10 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter; that would dishonor you.

11 “‘Do not have sexual relations with the daughter of your father’s wife, born to your father; she is your sister.

12 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister; she is your father’s close relative.

13 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, because she is your mother’s close relative.

14 “‘Do not dishonor your father’s brother by approaching his wife to have sexual relations; she is your aunt.

15 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; do not have relations with her.

16 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife; that would dishonor your brother.

17 “‘Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter. Do not have sexual relations with either her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter; they are her close relatives. That is wickedness.

18 “‘Do not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living.

20 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife and defile yourself with her.

21 “‘Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

23 “‘Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.

24 “‘Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. 25 Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. 26 But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, 27 for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. 28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.

29 “‘Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people. 30 Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God.’â€

Laws? to whom?

ToldYouSo

Let us also make perfectly clear what tolerance means.

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy defines Tolerance and toleration:

Toleration — from the Latin tolerare: to put up with, countenance or suffer — generally refers to the conditional acceptance of or non-interference with beliefs, actions or practices that one considers to be wrong but still “tolerable,†such that they should not be prohibited or constrained.

Edited by ToldYouSo

daisy-dog

Laws? to whom?

To Christians and Jews.

ToldYouSo

How does Leviticus apply to Christians?

gp80mac

Awwwww.......

culturalinfidel

I guess you have no problem with Stevie being allowed to publish his column then.

I don't. It makes the paper look bad publishing such shoddy writing, but if that is they best they can find, so be it.

Later...CI

daisy-dog

How does Leviticus apply to Christians?

The word of G-d applies to all.

ToldYouSo
makes the paper look bad publishing such shoddy writing

Now that is funny. The Lancaster paper is shoddy at best with or without this dude.

Then all should follow his instructions which are clearly stated in the beginning of Leviticus that the laws listed are for the Israelites.

Edited by ToldYouSo

Brampton

* unless the word of God appears in the Koran or Book of Mormon, right?

gp80mac

Leviticus just doesn't want anyone to have any fun.

daisy-dog

* unless the word of God appears in the Koran or Book of Mormon, right?

So what does the Koran or Book of Mormon say about homosexual sex ?

Do they approve ?

The Qur'an:

Qur'an (7:80-84) - "...For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.... And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone)" - An account that is borrowed from the Biblical story of Sodom. Muslim scholars through the centuries have interpreted the "rain of stones" on the town as meaning that homosexuals should be stoned, since no other reason is given for the people's destruction. (The story is also repeated in suras 27 and 29).

Qur'an (7:81) - "Will ye commit abomination such as no creature ever did before you?" This verse is part of the previous text and it establishes that homosexuality as different from (and much worse than) adultery or other sexual sin. According to the Arabic grammar, homosexuality is called the worst sin, while references elsewhere describe other forms of non-marital sex as being "among great sins."

Qur'an (26:165-166) - "Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, "And leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing"

Edited by daisy-dog

daisy-dog

http://en.wikipedia....tter-day_Saints

Gordon B. Hinckley, late president of the church, officially welcomed gay people in the church,[37] and affirmed them as good people in an interview "Now we have gays in the church. Good people. We take no action against such people – provided they don't become involved in transgression, sexual transgression. If they do, we do with them exactly what we'd do with heterosexuals who transgress".[38] The church teaches that homosexual problems can be overcome "through faith in God, sincere repentance, and persistent effort."[33] "Homosexual relations" is included on the church's list of "serious transgressions" that may result in a disciplinary council and, if the person does not desist, excommunication.[39] The church defines "serious transgressions" to include "murder, rape, forcible sexual abuse, spouse abuse, intentional serious physical injury of others, adultery, fornication, homosexual relations, deliberate abandonment of family responsibilities, robbery, burglary, theft, embezzlement, sale of illegal drugs, fraud, perjury, and false swearing".[39]

Edited by daisy-dog

nvh

Well no, of course not.

I find him illogical, cruel, insufferably arrogant and, if I hadn't met him in person, I'd think he was being intentionally inflammatory.

But, LNP is in the business of selling newspapers, and there are folks who like to read that kind of nonsense.

Sensible

I find Steve Cornell the poster child for how not to behave as a Christian.  He seems purposely as offensive as he can be and I've never read a single thing he has written that has been positive or uplifting or even informative.

But the Constitution guarantees his freedom of speech and the newspaper's freedom of the press.  They appear to think that his writing "balances" Gil Smarts.  Personally, I think they are one and the same, intentionally writing the most extremist dreck because controversy sells.  Didn't the editorial column once say that the two that draw the most mail are Smart and Cornell?  I don't subscribe because of that tabloid mentality.

Pastor of Muppets

I find Steve Cornell the poster child for how not to behave as a Christian.  He seems purposely as offensive as he can be and I've never read a single thing he has written that has been positive or uplifting or even informative.

But the Constitution guarantees his freedom of speech and the newspaper's freedom of the press.  They appear to think that his writing "balances" Gil Smarts.  Personally, I think they are one and the same, intentionally writing the most extremist dreck because controversy sells.  Didn't the editorial column once say that the two that draw the most mail are Smart and Cornell?  I don't subscribe because of that tabloid mentality.

I agree with your Cornell views. He is a two trick pony. Bash liberals or bash gays or both. Gil however, I find informative. Agree or not, he usually presents a good argument.