Sign in to follow this  
LTnewsDawg

Wal-Mart puts profits ahead of people

Farmer Vincent

But Sam did.  He built that company from nothing and left his fortune to his kids.

It wasn't a one-time gift.  It's a company that's being operated with apparent low regard for the people who do the actual labor involved in running it and without whom the doors wouldn't even be opened.  But it's because of desperation.  Employees know that if they don't accept the low pay and few benefits, there's always someone else just a desperate.  It's a cruel thing to take advantage of people like that while needing a private jet to get from one end of your money to the other. 

Thelsa Doom

He's dead and gone and didn't leave anything for the people who actually worked as employees.  That legacy continues.  But maybe the plan was always to keep over a million people so poor that they couldn't shop anyplace other than Walmart. 

When you die are you leaving the kid who mows your lawn your estate?

ToldYouSo

It's a company that's being operated with apparent low regard for the people who do the actual labor involved in running it and without whom the doors wouldn't even be opened.

Freedom. Love it!

You can shop elsewhere (rarely do I shop Wal-Mart because I don't care for the company) and you can work elsewhere. 

52skidoo

Except we're talking about the Walton kids.

that's what they do......

they whine.....you clobber them with facts...

and they run and change the subject...

so much for home of the brave

simpleton

This kinda reminds me of the fast food union discussion.  

Some companies and business models are not made to have long term employees.  Fast food and retail have traditionally been those types of businesses.  Those jobs are filled by young people or are part time work.  They simply are not meant to be long term jobs/career choices.  Walmart does not owe anyone a career, just a job.  

simpleton

He's dead and gone and didn't leave anything for the people who actually worked as employees.  That legacy continues.  But maybe the plan was always to keep over a million people so poor that they couldn't shop anyplace other than Walmart. 

do you think Steve Jobs left any of his fortune to his employees?  Do you think Bill Gates will?

mrkglsr65

that's what they do......

they whine.....you clobber them with facts...

and they run and change the subject...

so much for home of the brave

Here is a fact: If I make a dollar, I expect to keep that dollar.

If I make ten million dollars, I expect to keep $10m.

I believe the Waltons are no different than the Glaesers, or anyone else.

Farmer Vincent

do you think Steve Jobs left any of his fortune to his employees?  Do you think Bill Gates will?

I wasn't talking about leaving an inheritance, I meant providing a decent living wage.  It makes those jobs more in demand and has a way of keeping better quality employees who are loyal and try to do a good job.  I'm not saying that all Walmart employees are sub par, but you generally get what you pay for.  It's has to be hard for someone to be up and enthusiastic about their job and dealing with customers if they're suffering from the depression of being poor and being paid crap.  Just do a top of your head comparison to employees at Costco. 

daisy-dog

Some of the highest paid employees are the US government workers.

Are they doing a good job ?

Farmer Vincent

Some of the highest paid employees are the US government workers.

Are they doing a good job ?

Yeah, I know one.  He has a phd. in biochemistry and does some pretty important work at NIH.  Would you want all government employees to be like heckovajob Brownie? 

simpleton

I wasn't talking about leaving an inheritance, I meant providing a decent living wage.  It makes those jobs more in demand and has a way of keeping better quality employees who are loyal and try to do a good job.  I'm not saying that all Walmart employees are sub par, but you generally get what you pay for.  It's has to be hard for someone to be up and enthusiastic about their job and dealing with customers if they're suffering from the depression of being poor and being paid crap.  Just do a top of your head comparison to employees at Costco. 

What I see at Walmart are sub par employees.  But they are all free to go to Costco and apply for jobs there if they aren't happy at Walmart.

ToldYouSo

We did this before.......

Costco has a more highly paid labor force--but that labor force also brings in a lot more money.  Costco's labor force, paid $19 an hour, brings in three times as much revenue as a Walmart workforce paid somewhere between 50-60% of that.

This is not because Costco treats its workers better, and therefore gets fantastic productivity out of them, though this is what you would think if you listened to very sincere union activists on NPR.

A typical Costco store has around 4,000 SKUs, most of which are stacked on pallets so that you can be your own stockboy.  A Walmart has 140,000 SKUs, which have to be tediously sorted, replaced on shelves, reordered, delivered, and so forth.  People tend to radically underestimate the costs imposed by complexity, because the management problems do not simply add up; they multiply.  

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/26/why-can-t-walmart-be-more-like-costco.html

thatdavebeans

Are food stamps part of Sprawlmart's benefit package?

Thelsa Doom

Are food stamps part of Sprawlmart's benefit package?

After 3 months they give out free drink coupons......

What I see at Walmart are sub par employees.  But they are all free to go to Costco and apply for jobs there if they aren't happy at Walmart.

Walmart in many cases hire the unemployable.......

Pastor of Muppets

hire the unemployable = oxymoron.

daisy-dog

Very charitable. Give them a chance at self respect.

FDR

They aren't a government. 

Maybe not but they do a hell of a lot more for this nation than any government ever has. 

Thelsa Doom

Ah the "Costco " strawman what took so long? The comparison you are attempting just shows that you know very little about the subject.

daisy-dog

Maybe not but they do a hell of a lot more for this nation than any government ever has. 

Walmart has kept inflation down.

Thelsa Doom

hire the unemployable = oxymoron.

Ever see the night shift at a walmart?

ToldYouSo

You mean his co-workers?

Thelsa Doom

You mean his co-workers?

Those are the chaps.

Thelsa Doom

So cute when posters think that they, their children, and grandchildren are going to be above all of this downward pressure on the disappearing middle class.  Why, not a one of them will ever have to look for a job while having no marketable skills or tied to an area where jobs a scarce.  Besides, screw 'em, right? 

Screw 'em? Hmmmmmm. Yeah that's the ticket.

ToldYouSo

So cute when posters think that they, their children, and grandchildren are going to be above all of this downward pressure on the disappearing middle class. 

Why do you support liberal policies that only make matters worse?

5 years and what do we have? Rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Same things you whined about when Bush was in office. Open your eyes man!

thatdavebeans

The NWO wins again!

Farmer Vincent

The NWO wins again!

More like the old world order of lords and paupers. 

Thelsa Doom

More like the old world order of lords and paupers.

And Obama as "King " ?

Edited by Martin Riggs

52skidoo

Besides, screw 'em, right? 

gop 2013:   hungry ?   eat tax cuts !

Thelsa Doom

gop 2013:   hungry ?   eat tax cuts !

WTF does that have to do with the thread topic ?

Sign in to follow this