Sign in to follow this  
LTnewsDawg

Making ignorance chic

LTnewsDawg

Casanova's rule for seduction was to tell a beautiful woman she was intelligent and an intelligent woman she was beautiful.The false choice between intellectualism and sexuality in women has persisted through the ages. There was no more poignant victim of it than Marilyn Monroe.She was smart enough ...didi

100?d=yIl2AUoC8zA 100?d=YwkR-u9nhCs 100?d=qj6IDK7rITs3X1CUMjH66Q

View the full article

skeptic2mod

Palin has made being ignorant chic in a way no man could have.

Maureen and Frank Rich are precious.

prettylight

From the article about the appeal of Sarah Palin:

"At least you're not one of those "spineless" elites with an Ivy League education, like President Barack Obama, who can't feel anything."

---

Off-topic and maybe pointless in regard to this article/topic, but didn't the very people with this outlook also vote for Bush 1 and Bush 2 (who both had Ivy League educations)?

Maybe it's not unrelated after all. President Bush the Second certainly didn't act or talk like someone educated, even though he was. Maybe ignorance (or the appearance of ignorance) was somehow appealing to some people before Sarah Palin even came along?

Maybe because people are comfortable with someone they feel is "like them," and so they want to vote for a "regular Joe," like the guy who works in the garage down the street? (That's my husband's theory.)

I think someone on this forum mentioned a few days ago something to the effect that he or she wants an exceptionally wise, savvy, intelligent President. I do, too.

But maybe a lot of people don't feel that way, and just have some kind of knee-jerk attraction to candidates who don't seem smarter than the rest of us?

nvh

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

------------Charles Darwin------------------------

prettylight

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

------------Charles Darwin------------------------

That's an interesting quote.

Have often marveled (with some despair) at the premium placed on confidence, as a personal quality. (Is that just in this country?) That having confidence is more valued in this country than almost any other quality--it almost seems like being confident and wrong is valued more, and maybe even gets better results, than being not-so-confident, and right. If that makes any sense.

(Major pet peeve.)

skeptic2mod

When GWB said "nucular" what irritated me was that he had said it correctly in the past, so it looked deliberate

Palin apparently said "nuclear" when she ran for governor in 2006, then started saying "nucular" in 2008

prettylight

When GWB said "nucular" what irritated me was that he had said it correctly in the past, so it looked deliberate

Palin apparently said "nuclear" when she ran for governor in 2006, then started saying "nucular" in 2008

Wow, that's worse than I thought! They're afraid it will look "snooty" to say that word right, so they deliberately say it wrong??!

Goldi

This thread reminded me of the use of the "corpse-man", twice.

gp80mac

Wow, that's worse than I thought! They're afraid it will look "snooty" to say that word right, so they deliberately say it wrong??!

Yep. Sad, isn't it?

prettylight

Yep. Sad, isn't it?

Yes. :(

Had to look up the reference to corpse-man, in Goldilocks's post, to find out it was a gaffe by President Obama. (Wondered if that one could have been an embarrassing mistake, rather than deliberate?)

gp80mac

I don't blame the politicians for "dumbing down". It's more a sad commentary on the fear of intelligence our culture has.

I'm not about to win any smart guy contest (as the rest of the forum yells "no shit!"), but I'm not scared of smart people. I hope we have smart people running our country. But I do fear those leaders where being dumb isn't an act.

prettylight

I don't blame the politicians for "dumbing down". It's more a sad commentary on the fear of intelligence our culture has.

I'm not about to win any smart guy contest (as the rest of the forum yells "no shit!"), but I'm not scared of smart people. I hope we have smart people running our country. But I do fear those leaders where being dumb isn't an act.

Thought that was an interesting and different perspective, that you don't blame politicians for dumbing down, but would be more concerned about leaders who were "naturally" dumb.

(And about the smart guy contest, it's obvious you're edumacated.)

Citydweller

Off-topic and maybe pointless in regard to this article/topic, but didn't the very people with this outlook also vote for Bush 1 and Bush 2 (who both had Ivy League educations)?

George Herbert Walker Bush (Bush I) had an Ivy League education. George Texas Ranger Walker Bush (Dubya) had a receipt for one. George I didn't pander to ignorant, angry Merkuns, he was an old-school conservative who ran quite successfully on an "I'm smarter than you but know what you really want" platform. George II didn't have the true "old school tie", the connections, or the brains to do anything more than ride on his father's accolades and connections, and fall back on an "I'm mostly just like y'all" platform, because it was mostly the truth.

Both Bushes are smart, but there is a vast difference in the application of smart between "intellectual discernment" and "street smart".

So no, the "same people" didn't vote for Bush I and Bush II, although both sets of voters called themselves "conservatives", but for somewhat different reasons... just like the candidates they voted for.

prettylight

George Herbert Walker Bush (Bush I) had an Ivy League education. George Texas Ranger Walker Bush (Dubya) had a receipt for one. George I didn't pander to ignorant, angry Merkuns, he was an old-school conservative who ran quite successfully on an "I'm smarter than you but know what you really want" platform. George II didn't have the true "old school tie", the connections, or the brains to do anything more than ride on his father's accolades and connections, and fall back on an "I'm mostly just like y'all" platform, because it was mostly the truth.

Both Bushes are smart, but there is a vast difference in the application of smart between "intellectual discernment" and "street smart".

So no, the "same people" didn't vote for Bush I and Bush II, although both sets of voters called themselves "conservatives", but for somewhat different reasons... just like the candidates they voted for.

Read with interest.

mrkglsr65

There is a danger in confusing education with wisdom. There are many who discount truth and intelligence when it is spoken in a different dialect from their own. Conversely, there are many speakers whose elocution is flawless, yet their words have no truth or substance.

The challenge is to know the difference and discern that which is gold and what is merely fool's gold.

skeptic2mod

There is a danger in confusing education with wisdom. There are many who discount truth and intelligence when it is spoken in a different dialect from their own. Conversely, there are many speakers whose elocution is flawless, yet their words have no truth or substance.

The challenge is to know the difference and discern that which is gold and what is merely fool's gold.

So who have we misunderestimated?

mrkglsr65

So who have we misunderestimated?

Ward Burton, most likely, but we'll never know for sure....

prettylight

That's a good point!

Sign in to follow this