Sign in to follow this  
LTnewsDawg

Dancing with Bristol and Sarah

LTnewsDawg

I don't watch much television outside pro football. And even if I did, I doubt I'd be watching "Dancing With the Stars," which seems to me to be an updated version of the "Battle of the Network Stars," without Gabe Kaplan and Scott Baio. Or have they danced on the show yet?Though I've only se...

View the full article

Citydweller

Palin will run, and it will be very ugly. But most of the ugliness will be broadcast, emailed, youtubed, twittered.... ugly ones and zeros. 2012 could well be the first virtual civil war this country fights.

HarlDelos

Palin will run, and it will be very ugly. But most of the ugliness will be broadcast, emailed, youtubed, twittered.... ugly ones and zeros. 2012 could well be the first virtual civil war this country fights.

She will run, but Democrats will never see a ballot with her name on it.

After two years of a few teabaggers in Congress, most of us will be quoting Chester A. Riley in saying, "What a Revolting Development!" and voting for a traditional GOP candidate. We're mostly Bushed out, but we'd unite behind Jeb Bush, rather than allow Sarah Palin to become the party standard-bearer. I think Mike Huckabee is the most likely candidate, but there isn't any candidate that would be a sound bet at 10:1 odds.

skeptic2mod

Most of the media coverage recently has been about the traditional party operatives and other candidates, who oppose Palin and don't know what to do about her. Her weakness has already been exposed, just as Tom Brady spread the Steelers defense out last week and passed effectively (he won't do again in the playoffs).

There are a million Tina Feys out there and the words of Kathleen Parker, Karl Rove and Peggy Noonan matter.

irisheyes

She will run, but Democrats will never see a ballot with her name on it.

After two years of a few teabaggers in Congress, most of us will be quoting Chester A. Riley in saying, "What a Revolting Development!" and voting for a traditional GOP candidate. We're mostly Bushed out, but we'd unite behind Jeb Bush, rather than allow Sarah Palin to become the party standard-bearer. I think Mike Huckabee is the most likely candidate, but there isn't any candidate that would be a sound bet at 10:1 odds.

Mike Huckabee is good but don't discount Mike Pence, Newty, Romney et al. A good candidate would be Chris Christie from NJ but he's bucking the thought.

HarlDelos

Mike Huckabee is good but don't discount Mike Pence, Newty, Romney et al. A good candidate would be Chris Christie from NJ but he's bucking the thought.

I supported George Romney when he ran for president, but George was a common man who accomplished extraordinary things. He took over American Motors when it was expected to collapse. He sold bankers on backing his plans, then shut down Nash and Hudson lines and concentrated on the Rambler line. Within 3 years, he was so successful that the stock price rose more than five-fold. He had guts and integrity, and he knew what it was like to be poor. Mitt, on the other hand, seems to have grown up with too much money in his pocket. He's slick and polished. If he had been through a bankruptcy and worked his way back up, I'd trust him a lot more. Failure teaches you a lot.

I spent too many years working in Indiana. I wouldn't vote for Mike Pence for county commissioner. His skills are considerable. His honesty and integrity are in question.

I don't know much about Chris Christie at all.

Republicans have had a Bush, a Nixon, or a Dole on the national ballot every election for the last 60 years except 1964, and 2008 - which were years we did very poorly. For that reason, I think Jeb Bush has a leg up on the others. I haven't been impressed by the Bushes. I think Dubya was a disaster, and George H. W. Bush was only mediocre. I like Mike because I think he's a man of good character and demonstrated executive ability, but I'm not in love with him. Both Obama and Jimmy Carter came out of nowhere and won the nomination in a whirlwind campaign, but the situation was different - there was a shortage of candidates and a fairly well-defined party. Right now, we don't have agreement of what it means to be a republican - and we consequently have more people seeking the presidency than you could shake a stick at. It might be better for the party, long-term, if we lose the election in 2012, if we get a candidate that can give us a good sense of what it means to be a Republican. Doing that and winning the presidency seems a bit much to ask.

o311mc

I doubt Palin runs,( Gawd I hope not anyway) She seems to have taken the jerry springer reality show host path. I seriously doubt she can muster enough credibility to make a run for it. Just mythoughts.

Citydweller

Based on her whole faux "going rogue" attitude game, it would not surprise me if she ran on an independent or tea party ticket if the gop didn't put her up. She's been making thinly veiled "or else" threats to the gop leadership for a while now, and of course the "or else" means "or I'll leave the gop take all the real merkuns with me".

Of course, she wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning, but such a move would sure screw up an election and bolster the dem's chances for big wins.

HarlDelos

I doubt Palin runs,( Gawd I hope not anyway) She seems to have taken the jerry springer reality show host path. I seriously doubt she can muster enough credibility to make a run for it. Just mythoughts.

You might be surprised what voters like and dislike.

Most people know that Jerry Springer wrote a check to a Northern Kentucky whorehouse. What most people don't seem to realize was that Jerry did that while he was still on city council in Cincinnati. It was after the news of that check came out that Jerry announced that he was going to run for mayor - and when he did run, he won by something like a two-to-one margin.

I was living in Cincinnati when he ran for re-election as mayor. Jerry had never offered any explanation, nor any apology for having written that check. Most people I talked with who supported Jerry told me that they figured Jerry was enlisted to pull some sort of a sting on the whorehouse, but that the people who enlisted him for the sting were really out to neutralize Jerry's effectiveness as a politician. I figured that people will tell themselves all sorts of lies in order to excuse bad behavior by a member of their own party. I voted for Jerry because I liked what he'd done as mayor, and I figured that if he wanted to pay for it, that was his own business.

Palin's exploited her kids. I don't like child abusers. Other people have their reasons for liking or disliking Sarah Palin, but most people have an opinion about her, and her favorability rating is about 20% - compared to 27% for congressional Democrats, 27% for congressional Republicans, and 49% for Obama. It sounds highly unlikely to me that she will get the nomination, but I have to admit, she is fresh and highly personable, qualities that most politicians lack.

skeptic2mod

Someone commented that Carter and Obama came out of nowhere. Add Howard Dean to that list. But have we seen a Republican come out of nowhere and do damage in the primaries?

HarlDelos

Someone commented that Carter and Obama came out of nowhere. Add Howard Dean to that list. But have we seen a Republican come out of nowhere and do damage in the primaries?

In 1968, a retired Republican politician came out of nowhere and won.

In 1992, a conservative named Ross Perot got almost 20% of the popular vote, allowing Clinton to get the presidency with 43% of the popular vote.

o311mc

You might be surprised what voters like and dislike.

Most people know that Jerry Springer wrote a check to a Northern Kentucky whorehouse. What most people don't seem to realize was that Jerry did that while he was still on city council in Cincinnati. It was after the news of that check came out that Jerry announced that he was going to run for mayor - and when he did run, he won by something like a two-to-one margin.

I was living in Cincinnati when he ran for re-election as mayor. Jerry had never offered any explanation, nor any apology for having written that check. Most people I talked with who supported Jerry told me that they figured Jerry was enlisted to pull some sort of a sting on the whorehouse, but that the people who enlisted him for the sting were really out to neutralize Jerry's effectiveness as a politician. I figured that people will tell themselves all sorts of lies in order to excuse bad behavior by a member of their own party. I voted for Jerry because I liked what he'd done as mayor, and I figured that if he wanted to pay for it, that was his own business.

Palin's exploited her kids. I don't like child abusers. Other people have their reasons for liking or disliking Sarah Palin, but most people have an opinion about her, and her favorability rating is about 20% - compared to 27% for congressional Democrats, 27% for congressional Republicans, and 49% for Obama. It sounds highly unlikely to me that she will get the nomination, but I have to admit, she is fresh and highly personable, qualities that most politicians lack.

grew up in Lawrenceburg, Ind ,just a stones through from Cincy, I remember the whole springer deal as well. I think electing Sarah palin to the presidency is a good but different than elcting a mayor of a midwest town. Springers carreer was in a reality done after that mess. His run for Ohio governor a short while after that was killed by his talk show host antics.

Sign in to follow this