Sign in to follow this  
LTnewsDawg

LNP - Stop concealed carry discrimination

LTnewsDawg

Last year, I received a concealed carry license from the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Department. I underwent a criminal background check, paid the required fee and was photographed. Some states also require an applicant to be fingerprinted and to take a suitable education course.

Contrast these reasonable, commonsense approaches to the “aristocrat-only” methods presently employed by New York, New Jersey and Maryland. A friend of mine from New York recently received a permit allowing him to possess a handgun after no less than 18 months of waiting. This for a man who serves as an emergency medical services volunteer, occupies one of the highest levels of public trust, and has never once been in trouble with the law. He still can’t legally possess a handgun outside his home, but maybe that will change in the near future.

The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act (HR 38) currently languishes in the U.S. Senate. However, I would gladly rebuke this law in favor of a federal concealed carry nondiscrimination act that ensures all law-abiding citizens in all states are subjected to no more than the same scrutiny presently applied to privileged persons when it comes to carrying a concealed handgun.

Just as the Voting Rights Act of 1965 banned discriminatory literacy tests and poll taxes, I think it’s time for Congress to ensure that all persons, regardless of gender, race or socio-economic status, have an equal ability to exercise their firearm rights.

Stephen Lock

Manheim Township

View the full article

Pastor of Muppets

I don't think Stephen knows what the word "discrimination" means