Sign in to follow this  
Citydweller

Lanctalk'S Getting Shaved To Support Cancer Research!

Citydweller

You heard it right - LancTalk.com Community Forums staff and members will be shaving their heads in solidarity with children who have cancer and typically lose their hair during treatment, while raising critical funds for childhood cancer research!

Join our team as a "shavee" or make a donation at www.stbaldricks.org/teams/TeamLancTalk !

Then join us at Annie Baileys Irish Pub on April 9th to see our team members make good on their promise and have their heads shaved, starting with team Captain Citydweller.

In the US, more children die of childhood cancer than any other disease. Please make a donation on Team LancTalk.com Community Forums' behalf to support childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

GeezUS
Then join us at Annie Baileys Irish Pub on April 9th to see our team members make good on their promise and have their heads shaved, starting with team Captain Citydweller.

Please post before and after pics 'cause some of you guys gotta be hairless already.

GeezUS

Cool! Will do.

Wow... you're going bald too prettylight!

prettylight

Wow... you're going bald too prettylight!

No! SmackBottom.gif

(But hats off :skype_emoticons_set_2_5590_2599 to everyone who is doing it!)

Citydweller

*BUMP*

www.stbaldricks.org/teams/TeamLancTalk

I'm going to be really obnoxious about this, so you may as well just go and donate to the point that it stings a little. I haven't had a haircut in 20 years, and I'm going to have my head shaved. Probably more importantly, my gorgeous wife is as well. That's going to be a little bit weird for a while.

K8_before.jpg

See what I mean?

So, what are you going to do to help these kids with cancer? Send a get-well card? An estimated 270,000 or more children (age 0-19) in the U.S. alone have some form of cancer, and nearly 11,000 more are diagnosed every year. That's a lot of cards to send.

Screw that. You send money, I and my wife will have our heads shaved in a public spectacle. The kids will make out on the deal. Follow the link above now and send your freaking money to help. If Annie Bailey's can meet it's $60,000 goal this year, and we meet our meager $5,000 goal under their umbrella, it will only get bigger next year.

And that's more money that goes to more researchers who want these kids to stop suffering.

Get it?

o311mc

This is quite near and dear to me. When my late wife was sick we spent lots of time in the hospital. Sometimes when she was sleeping I would walk around the place. Sat in a waiting room with some 11 year old kid that had the same cancer she had. He was due to get a spinal infusion of methotrexate just like my wife. Due to some sort of emergency he had to wait a long time and his parents were in an accident ( not serious) so they were late getting there. This kid was so scarred but he held his head up with all he had and told me not to worry that she would be OK. Never dawned on this kid that he was looking the grim reaper in the face, and I was really worried about him. Never seen such courage from one so small or anyone else for that matter, his name is Ty, I never got his last name, but I saw him several times after that and he always asked how she was doing. The funny part is I think he actually cared how she was doing. He never once seemed to doubt that he would be fine, always worried about everyone else. This kid knows what being unselfish is all about. I met he and his parents for lunch 3 months after my wife passed. He wasnt doing to well that day but he cried for my wife and told me to be strong. Moral of the story is quite simple, nobody has to give everything they have, but if many give a little it DOES make a difference. Skip going out to eat one night and semd the 20 bucks to help these kids. Little things like drawing paper and crayons, toys to help the kids keep thier minds on being kids instead of worrying about feeling bad. None of that stuff costs much but it is really needed, if all your 20 bucks does is give a kid 45 minutes of joy during a horrible time it's worth it.

Not many days pass when I don't think about that kid, been almost a year since I saw him last,,,but I know he is OK, not sure how, but I just know it. One time he laughed from his gut when he spelled "chemotherapy" during our scrabble game down in the lounge.

Man you just can't forget that stuff.

please think about helping these kids out.

o311mc

already bald so I can't really do the shave my head thingy,,,,,,,,,that said, not really opposed to have somebody give some "spray on hair" and washing it off just to get with the programm.

:5_1_120[1]:

cant figure out how to post a picture anymore?

crazycatwoman

This is quite near and dear to me. When my late wife was sick we spent lots of time in the hospital. Sometimes when she was sleeping I would walk around the place. Sat in a waiting room with some 11 year old kid that had the same cancer she had. He was due to get a spinal infusion of methotrexate just like my wife. Due to some sort of emergency he had to wait a long time and his parents were in an accident ( not serious) so they were late getting there. This kid was so scarred but he held his head up with all he had and told me not to worry that she would be OK. Never dawned on this kid that he was looking the grim reaper in the face, and I was really worried about him. Never seen such courage from one so small or anyone else for that matter, his name is Ty, I never got his last name, but I saw him several times after that and he always asked how she was doing. The funny part is I think he actually cared how she was doing. He never once seemed to doubt that he would be fine, always worried about everyone else. This kid knows what being unselfish is all about. I met he and his parents for lunch 3 months after my wife passed. He wasnt doing to well that day but he cried for my wife and told me to be strong. Moral of the story is quite simple, nobody has to give everything they have, but if many give a little it DOES make a difference. Skip going out to eat one night and semd the 20 bucks to help these kids. Little things like drawing paper and crayons, toys to help the kids keep thier minds on being kids instead of worrying about feeling bad. None of that stuff costs much but it is really needed, if all your 20 bucks does is give a kid 45 minutes of joy during a horrible time it's worth it.

Not many days pass when I don't think about that kid, been almost a year since I saw him last,,,but I know he is OK, not sure how, but I just know it. One time he laughed from his gut when he spelled "chemotherapy" during our scrabble game down in the lounge.

Man you just can't forget that stuff.

please think about helping these kids out.

running for tissues.... thanks for posting this 0311

Citydweller

Damn, Denny, you know how to make a person tear up. SNIFF.... I hope every person who reads that tears up as well and realizes just how much this means and brings us a donation and/or signs up to have their head shaved. A quarter million kids lose their hair because a vile disease is trying to steal their lives from them, so what's so hard about giving yours up for a little while, just to show them you care?

Give 'till it hurts, and if the thought of losing your hair hurts that much, think about losing it when you're ten, while you're quite possibly dying as well. Then donate accordingly.

sandybobk

C'mon EVERYONE, let support this worthy cause!!

Citydweller

Team LancTalk is in SECOND place out of FIFTEEN teams at Annie Bailey's! C'mon folks, let's push those fire companies into our dust trail and fund some research!

sandybobk

I featured Steve the other day on my FB page. K8 is now featured in hopes of getting more donations!

K8fearsnoart

THANK YOU!!!!!qip_russian_edition_2_10673_3974_thumb.gif

sandybobk

I haven't been on TB in some time.

It is posted on there that LancTalk is getting shaved to raise money for St. Baldricks? I know that I did see it on TalkPA.

nvh

Wavy Hair

by Shel Silverstein

I thought that I had wavy hair

Until I shaved. Instead,

I find that I have STRAIGHT hair

And a very wavy head.

K8fearsnoart

Wavy Hair

by Shel Silverstein

I thought that I had wavy hair

Until I shaved. Instead,

I find that I have STRAIGHT hair

And a very wavy head.

i remember getting one of my very first library books from my school in kindergarten, and it was one of shel's.

i love those books!

ALSO~

since it'll all be shaved off anyway, i used a temporary (washes out in 6-12 shampoos) dye the other day!

nvh

i remember getting one of my very first library books from my school in kindergarten, and it was one of shel's.

i love those books!

ALSO~

since it'll all be shaved off anyway, i used a temporary (washes out in 6-12 shampoos) dye the other day!

I never thought of that.

I could go green and see if I could hide in the arborvitae.

Citydweller

I haven't been on TB in some time.

It is posted on there that LancTalk is getting shaved to raise money for St. Baldricks? I know that I did see it on TalkPA.

I didn't want to push the good relations I have with TB Admins by shilling our team there, but I did ask Gil Smart to put something in. He has so far declined.

If you want to promote our team on TB, use the link directly to our team page at St. Baldrick's:

sandybobk

I didn't want to push the good relations I have with TB Admins by shilling our team there, but I did ask Gil Smart to put something in. He has so far declined.

If you want to promote our team on TB, use the link directly to our team page at St. Baldrick's:

Since I don't have good relations with the TB Admins, I just put a post in The Lounge - hopefully it helps! :P

Messyg17

Is there an estimated time that they will be shaved?

Citydweller

Is there an estimated time that they will be shaved?

I'm scheduled for 2:40, and why? is at 2:50. I didn't see that any other team members have set their shave time yet.

Messyg17

Thanks, I have a few things going that day, but I want to slip over there and watch this happen. They start at 1130 or am I mistaken? Might grab lunch beforehand, so's I doesn't get hair in me soup!

Citydweller

Good Lord, we've fallen into FIFTH PLACE! The County Commissioners are in front of us! Jeebus, people, are you going to put up with this???

o311mc

so where's the picture of the shaven head club?

Citydweller

In another thread and all over facebook, but here ya go, posing with Chief Sadler:

group_chief.jpg

Buffalo Bill

you guys look great

nice work, great cause

Sign in to follow this