prettylight

After the 2018 Blue Wave, Republicans Are Making It Harder to Vote

Dan Daniels
6 minutes ago, prettylight said:

Report: More than 1600 Polling Places Have Closed Since the Supreme Court Gutted the Voting Rights Act

Most of them are in minority communities.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/09/report-more-than-1600-polling-places-have-closed-since-the-supreme-court-gutted-the-voting-rights-act/

Heard they were considering closing the polling place inside downtown Woodward Hill Cemetery. lol

Farmer Vincent
7 minutes ago, Dan Daniels said:

Heard they were considering closing the polling place inside downtown Woodward Hill Cemetery. lol

Ha ha.  It's all a funny joke, isn't it?

Dan Daniels
5 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Ha ha.  It's all a funny joke, isn't it?

Sure is when a silly comment on a forum can trigger your ass.

Farmer Vincent
1 hour ago, Dan Daniels said:

Sure is when a silly comment on a forum can trigger your ass.

Is that all you're about?  You just want to dis the libs in spite of what damage conservatives do to this country? 

grieker
1 hour ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Is that all you're about?  You just want to dis the libs in spite of what damage conservatives do to this country? 

What you people fail to see is the actual reason for what is being done, as with the ass-hats in congress dancing the "impeach the mother fucker" dance.  

It is NOT making it harder to vote, nor is it intended to do so.  The progressives want the elections held in The United States Of America to be secure and steps are being taken to do just that.

Picture ID for ALL those who vote and those with valid photo IDs must vote in the district they are registered in.

The closing of polling locations isn't hap-hazard nor is it selective to impact the "minorities".  They are closed based on similar data such as stores close their outlets.

Dan Daniels
1 hour ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Is that all you're about? 

I'm intelligent enough to realize that nothing I write on any forum, letter to the editor, etc will change a single thing. Contacting my congress critters on various issues only results in receiving a form letter that may or may not be related to the subject.

Education on the issues and what I do in the voting booth is the important meaningful thing.

Back and forth on this forum is a very poor way to be educated on the issues.

Pastor of Muppets
35 minutes ago, Dan Daniels said:

I'm intelligent enough to realize that nothing I write on any forum, letter to the editor, etc will change a single thing. Contacting my congress critters on various issues only results in receiving a form letter that may or may not be related to the subject.

Education on the issues and what I do in the voting booth is the important meaningful thing.

So is fox news, but that doesn't stop millions from being willfully misinformed.

Dan Daniels
9 minutes ago, Pastor of Muppets said:

So is fox news, but that doesn't stop millions from being willfully misinformed.

I don't believe utilizing any one single source Fox, CNN, MSNBC, et al for information is a wise choice, but it is their choice. 

prettylight
On 9/11/2019 at 4:34 PM, Farmer Vincent said:

Texas has closed more polling places than any other state, report shows

"Hundreds of polling places have shuttered across the state as Texas leads the nation in what civil rights advocates call one of the most pernicious tactics aimed at keeping minority voters from casting ballots."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Texas-has-closed-more-polling-places-than-any-14429443.php

prettylight
21 hours ago, Dan Daniels said:

would respectfully say, don't underrate yourselves...have learned from this forum every day, it probably rivals a college education by now. (I have one, and it rivals that.)

The format helps, too, the way it's set up, with the array of topics. (Thanks to the administrators for that.)

despite trying to quit continually for almost ten years

I can't quit you

Edited by prettylight

prettylight

"The GOP's plan for minority rule in 2020 and beyond"

grieker
On 9/13/2019 at 3:07 PM, prettylight said:

"The GOP's plan for minority rule in 2020 and beyond"

Hey Bobby - what's the progressives plan to increase their power.  That's what it's all about man, right?  

You had a failed coup attempt, you were unable to trash Trump enough that he'd "break" turn-tail and quit.  You along with your other "brilliant" minds couldn't even accomplish that.

Each and every person that votes i national elections MUST be positively identified with a photo ID - that's the first step in securing our elections.  It doesn't make it harder to vote - it makes it more secure.

Farmer Vincent
22 minutes ago, grieker said:

Hey Bobby - what's the progressives plan to increase their power.  That's what it's all about man, right?  

You had a failed coup attempt, you were unable to trash Trump enough that he'd "break" turn-tail and quit.  You along with your other "brilliant" minds couldn't even accomplish that.

Each and every person that votes i national elections MUST be positively identified with a photo ID - that's the first step in securing our elections.  It doesn't make it harder to vote - it makes it more secure.

Refusing to ramp up election security against foreign interference makes it less secure. 

prettylight
1 minute ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Same old, same old.  

Ohio purge of targeted 40,000 active voters — including head of voting rights group

"Ohio’s government admitted that nearly 20 percent of voters targeted in the state’s looming purge of “inactive” were actually active voters."

https://www.salon.com/2019/10/16/ohio-purge-of-targeted-40000-active-voters-including-head-of-voting-rights-group/

prettylight

Many states suppress voting by law or fiat. In 2018 alone, according to Jelani Cobb, “ninety-nine bills designed to diminish voter access were introduced…in thirty-one state legislatures”. Many laws are already in place to create hurdles for prospective voters. In Wisconsin, one of the pivotal 2016 states, a strict new voter-ID law rammed through by the Republican government resulted in the suppression of an estimated 200,000 votes, some nine times the margin that separated Trump from Hillary Clinton.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/america-2020-interim-report-slough-anxiety/

prettylight

Precinct closures harm voter turnout in Georgia, AJC analysis finds

"Precinct closures and longer distances likely prevented an estimated 54,000 to 85,000 voters from casting ballots on Election Day last year."

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/precinct-closures-harm-voter-turnout-georgia-ajc-analysis-finds/11sVcLyQCHuQRC8qtZ6lYP/

^

Stacey Abrams lost by ~50,000 votes

--https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley

prettylight

^

"This move pushed by Republicans to remove 200,000 Wisconsinites from the voter rolls is just another attempt at overriding the will of the people and stifling the democratic process.” - Tony Evers

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2019/12/13/judge-orders-wisconsin-purge-more-than-200-000-voters-list/4412776002/

Edited by prettylight

prettylight

The Republican plan to patrol the vote

The Republican Party is mounting a national effort to shape who votes in November, with plans to recruit as many as 50,000 volunteers to monitor polling places. The program is premised on preventing voter fraud, though the threat of that is virtually nonexistent, researchers say. Democrats say the true aim is to suppress minority voters.

The Times’s Michael Wines explains that the plan was made possible by a 2018 federal court ruling that, for the first time in nearly four decades, allowed Republicans to mount campaigns against purported voter fraud without court approval. Courts had previously banned such campaigns, after finding instances of Republicans intimidating minority voters.

prettylight

prettylight

Ignore Trump’s hypocritical vote-by-mail rants. Protecting voters from coronavirus won’t lead to fraud

my disabled in-laws are eager to vote by mail this year, and they will almost certainly vote Republican.

prettylight

prettylight