LTnewsDawg

CNN- Neil deGrasse Tyson is facing backlash after tweeting about shooting deaths

grieker
1 minute ago, prettylight said:

I thought that's what this country is supposed to be all about, what the majority wants.

That's why we vote, isn't it?

Pathetic paltry response PL.  Look back in history in what the public wanted/didn't want vs what the government did.

prettylight
Just now, grieker said:

Pathetic paltry response PL.  Look back in history in what the public wanted/didn't want vs what the government did.

It's not just progressives who want saner gun control laws.

I would think a fellow with common sense, such as yourself, would want them too.

grieker
2 minutes ago, prettylight said:

It's not just progressives who want saner gun control laws.

I would think a fellow with common sense, such as yourself, would want them too.

Not talking about gun control PL.  Asking since WHEN did progressives start concerning themselves with what the public wants/does not want?

grieker
2 hours ago, prettylight said:

If we believe in democracy, we should concern ourselves with what the public wants/does not want. Are you saying progressives have been out of touch with that, and that is a weakness?

As an aside, I guess there is a well-funded effort to get the public wanting what the oligarchs want, but what isn't in the public's best interest. Hence Cambridge Analytica, and the general flood of disinformation.

Only need to go back a few years to the Oblamacare debacle where over 60% of Americans did NOT WANT IT!

How'd you people handle that opposition?

prettylight
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, grieker said:

Only need to go back a few years to the Oblamacare debacle where over 60% of Americans did NOT WANT IT!

How'd you people handle that opposition?

I'm not a political operative, Grieker, but as a member of the public I know I wanted it, and am grateful to have it now.

Having a $20,000 deductible (that is, when we were even lucky enough to have that policy) was always an insidious source of stress.

Thank you for reminding me of something to be thankful for currently.

Edited by prettylight

grieker
On 8/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, prettylight said:

I'm not a political operative, Grieker, but as a member of the public I know I wanted it, and am grateful to have it now.

Having a $20,000 deductible (that is, when we were even lucky enough to have that policy) was always an insidious source of stress.

Thank you for reminding me of something to be thankful for currently.

Yet you ignore the mass opposition to it!

Like the "confederate" statutes etc, the plurality of Americans do not want them removed - yet you people will not stop until history is erased. 

prettylight
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, grieker said:

Like the "confederate" statutes etc, the plurality of Americans do not want them removed - yet you people will not stop until history is erased. 

People loved their private insurance policies?

No coverage for pre-existing conditions, etc.? Or no coverage at all?

Edited by prettylight

GeezUS
28 minutes ago, grieker said:

History will not be erased by removing statues that symbolize pro SLAVERY.

Pastor of Muppets
2 hours ago, grieker said:

Link to this unverified assertion?

Farmer Vincent

Sometimes what the majority wants isn't what is logically and reasonably right and so a discussion should take place to sort it all out. 

On Confederate statues the major factor to consider is what it symbolizes.  The funny thing about symbolism is that it changes over time to different generations.  In the first couple of generations that symbol might have meant something to relatives and to those who served under that person who's memorialized.  But as time goes on and civil war veterans died off that original sentiment lost it's meaning and was replaced with resentment over the loss of the war and a loss of whites having absolute lordship over blacks.  That's why these statues have become a rallying point for white supremacists and a point of contention for blacks and everyone else who believes in equality and civil rights.  We can't progress to the future if we cling to the past.  

grieker
51 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Sometimes what the majority wants isn't what is logically and reasonably right and so a discussion should take place to sort it all out. 

On Confederate statues the major factor to consider is what it symbolizes.  The funny thing about symbolism is that it changes over time to different generations.  In the first couple of generations that symbol might have meant something to relatives and to those who served under that person who's memorialized.  But as time goes on and civil war veterans died off that original sentiment lost it's meaning and was replaced with resentment over the loss of the war and a loss of whites having absolute lordship over blacks.  That's why these statues have become a rallying point for white supremacists and a point of contention for blacks and everyone else who believes in equality and civil rights.  We can't progress to the future if we cling to the past.  

"Sometimes what the majority wants isn't what is logically and reasonably right..."  As long as the progressives are in agreement it doesn't matter what the majority wants and that of course goes both ways.

grieker
1 hour ago, Pastor of Muppets said:

Link to this unverified assertion?

Take your fucking pick.

1. Poll: Majority Of Americans Oppose Removal Of Confederate ...

Aug 22, 2017 · Poll: Majority Of Americans Oppose Removal Of Confederate Statues. Some 31 percent agreed that the rally as “an even mix” of rioting and intimidation by both white supremacists and left-wing counter-protesters. Some 28 percent blamed the white supremacists as the aggressors while 10 percent mostly blamed the left-wing counter-protesters.

2. Poll: 88% Of Americans Against Removing Statues Of ...

https://nationaleconomicseditorial.com/2017/08/24/americans-against-removing...

(iii) A solid 88% of likely voters oppose removing the names and legacies for George Washington and Thomas Jefferson (on account of them holding slaves) from public places, by removing statues in their honor. (iv) An even higher number of American likely voters, 90%,...

3. Poll: Strong majority opposes removing Confederate monuments

https://hotair.com/.../08/17/poll-strong-majority-opposes-removing-confederate-monuments

Aug 17, 2017 · Most still oppose removing the monuments today for the same reason, I suspect. Given a choice between “refighting” the Civil War and leaving the local landscape as-is, inertia wins. Tags: bannon Charlottesville Marist monument poll remove robert e lee statue trump yougov

4. Voters Oppose Removing Confederate Monuments

www.rasmussenreports.com/.../may_2017/voters_oppose_removing_confederate_monuments

May 31, 2017 · A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 69% oppose erasing these historical symbols. Twelve percent (12%) …

5. Poll: Most Americans Don't Want Confederate Statues Torn Down

Poll: Most Americans Don’t Want Confederate Statues Torn Down. In a PBS interview with Charlie Rose on Wednesday night, Al Sharpton said the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C., should be abandoned, because America’s third president and author …

6. Majority of Louisianans oppose removing Confederate statues

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/majority-of-louisianans-oppose-removing-confederate-statues

Apr 19, 2016 · n Southwest Louisiana, a majority said they oppose removing Confederate statues. In every region of the state except New Orleans, more than …

• Author: CBS/AP
  7. RTD-CNU poll: Majority of Richmond residents oppose ...

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/rtd-cnu-poll-majority-of-richmond...

The survey of registered voters in Richmond and Chesterfield, Hanover and Henrico counties found that 35 percent support removing Confederate statues in the city while 55 percent are opposed.

• Author: NED OLIVER Richmond Times-Dispatch
  8. Where Will the Removal of Confederate Monuments Stop ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/where-will-the-removal-of...

Some of those who oppose the removal of those statues are racist—some proudly so, others less openly. (One need only read quotes from those rallying at sites in New Orleans, or the white supremacists organizing in Charlottesville, to see this.) But others bring different objections to …

• Author: David A. Graham

GeezUS
37 minutes ago, grieker said:

"Sometimes what the majority wants isn't what is logically and reasonably right..."  As long as the progressives are in agreement it doesn't matter what the majority wants and that of course goes both ways.

Why honor those who fought to keep slavery?

grieker
52 minutes ago, GeezUS said:

Why honor those who fought to keep slavery?

Instead of "honor" I look at it as a stark reminder of ass-hats of the past.  

Hell, we have an entire museum about the Holocaust which has a bunch of ass-hats in it.  9/11 museum has photos of the radical Islamic Muslims that killed some 3,000 Americans.

The confederate flag nor any of those statues ever causes harm to anyone, NOR did any cross planted ANYWHERE in America, it's just pathetic progressives raising a stink and the minorities win again.  

GeezUS
4 minutes ago, grieker said:

The confederate flag nor any of those statues ever causes harm to anyone, NOR did any cross planted ANYWHERE in America, it's just pathetic progressives raising a stink and the minorities win again.

And of course you're fine with those wearing Nazi swastikas and hosting Nazi flags.

GeezUS
5 minutes ago, grieker said:

Hell, we have an entire museum about the Holocaust which has a bunch of ass-hats in it.

And let's create a museum filled with ass-hat statues that were on display. Don't need more than one museum as a reminder.

grieker
1 minute ago, GeezUS said:

And of course you're fine with those wearing Nazi swastikas and hosting Nazi flags.

As fine as I am with other fuck-wads burning the American Flag or taking a knee during the National Anthem, or fucking around during the playing of the National Anthem- progressives of course.

GeezUS
8 minutes ago, grieker said:

As fine as I am with other fuck-wads burning the American Flag or taking a knee during the National Anthem

Big difference taking a knee as a protest and Jew hating (and any other group other than) white supremacists Nazis.