prettylight

US spies say Trump's G7 performance suggests he's either a 'Russian asset' or a 'useful idiot' for Putin

prettylight

US spies say Trump's G7 performance suggests he's either a 'Russian asset' or a 'useful idiot' for Putin

Current and former spies are floored by President Donald Trump's fervent defense of Russia at this year's G7 summit in Biarritz, France.

"It's hard to see the bar anymore since it's been pushed so far down the last few years, but President Trump's behavior over the weekend was a new low," one FBI agent who works in counterintelligence told Insider.

At the summit, Trump aggressively lobbied for Russia to be readmitted into the G7, refused to hold it accountable for violating international law, blamed former President Barack Obama for Russia's annexation of Crimea, and expressed sympathy for Russian President Vladimir Putin.

One former senior Justice Department official, who worked closely with the former special counsel Robert Mueller when he was the FBI director, told Insider Trump's behavior was "directly out of the Putin playbook. We have a Russian asset sitting in the Oval Office."

A former CIA operative told Insider the evidence is "overwhelming" that Trump is a Russian agent, but another CIA and NSA veteran said it was more likely Trump was currying favor with Putin for future business deals.

Meanwhile, a recently retired FBI special agent told Insider that Trump's freewheeling and often unfounded statements make it more likely that he's a "useful idiot" for the Russians. But "it would not surprise me in the least if the Russians had at least one asset in Trump's inner circle."

more at

https://www.businessinsider.com/spies-react-trump-g7-summit-russian-asset-2019-8?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=topbar&utm_term=desktop&referrer=twitter

grieker

I raise the red flag of bullshit on this.

prettylight
Just now, grieker said:

I raise the red flag of bullshit on this.

How so?

Business Insider can hardly be dismissed as a left-wing source.

grieker
2 minutes ago, prettylight said:

How so?

Business Insider can hardly be dismissed as a left-wing source.

Who are the "spies" who spewed the bullshit?  Or are they the usual "unnamed suspects" that most always occur.

prettylight

"It's hard to see the bar anymore since it's been pushed so far down the last few years, but President Trump's behavior over the weekend was a new low." — current FBI agent

"We have a Russian asset sitting in the Oval Office. … There is no fathomable explanation for why the president said these things. Letting Russia off the hook for bullying smaller countries and then blaming Obama for it? It's directly out of the Putin playbook." — former senior Justice Department official

”No question” that Trump is behaving like a “spy for the Russians. … The evidence is so overwhelming that in my 35 years in intelligence, I have never seen anything so certain." — Glenn Carle, former CIA covert operative 

"I think what's going on right now is an Occam's razor scenario. Trump wants to do deals with Russia when he leaves the presidency. We already know he was interested in building a Trump Tower in Moscow before and during the election. The best way of doing a deal with Putin is to be nice to him, so I think what Trump is doing is currying favor." — Robert Deitz, former lawyer at the CIA and the National Security Agency

grieker
On 8/30/2019 at 8:42 AM, Farmer Vincent said:

I don't need a spy or former spy to tell me that when Trump bends over backwards in attempting to help Putin that he's a Russian asset.  It goes directly against the concerns of much more experienced allied world leaders and against our own national security interests.  Maybe I see that because I'm not blinded by the golden light shining through the chosen one's hair.  

Your specificity once again Vince is typically lacking.

Just what did Trump do that warranted you to say he bends over backwards for Pukin?

prettylight

Release of Trump-Putin transcripts needs Russian approval, Kremlin says

• ‘If the American send us signals, then we’ll discuss it’
  • Leaders have held at least 11 phone calls and met in person

Andrew Roth in Kyiv

Mon 30 Sep 2019 11.35 EDT

The Kremlin has said it would need to give permission for Donald Trump to release details of his one-on-one conversations with Vladimir Putin, a likely target of Democratic lawmakers in an upcoming impeachment inquiry.

Speaking with journalists on Monday, the Kremlin spokesman, Dmitri Peskov, said that the release of summaries or transcripts of the two leaders’ discussions – details of which have remained a closely guarded secret – is “only possible with the mutual agreement of both sides”.

“Diplomatic practice does not allow for the publication [of these records],” Peskov said, according to the Interfax news service. “So if the Americans send us signals, then we’ll discuss it.”

Trump and Putin have held at least 11 phone calls since Trump’s inauguration, according to the Kremlin website, and also have met several times in person with only a translator present. Trump’s affinity for Putin and his rejection of Russian meddling in the 2016 US presidential elections have brought additional scrutiny to those conversations. The White House has released little or no information about some of the conversations.

Adam Schiff, the chair of the House intelligence committee who is leading the impeachment inquiry, said in a television appearance this weekend that he would seek access to Trump’s conversations with Putin as part of a growing investigation into his alleged abuse of presidential powers to aid his re-election campaign.

“I think the paramount need here is to protect the national security of the United States and see whether in the conversations with other world leaders – and in particular with Putin – that the president was also undermining our security in a way that he thought would personally benefit his campaign,” Schiff said on NBC’s Meet the Press.

It is not clear how the Kremlin could stop Trump from complying if the documents are subpoenaed by Congress, although the White House could claim the documents are protected by executive privilege.

Peskov’s remarks can also be seen as trolling, creating the perception that Trump is compromised by his relationship with the Kremlin in a show of contempt for current US political attitudes toward Russia.

more at

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/30/trump-putin-conversations-transcripts-russian-permission

Edited by prettylight

Farmer Vincent

^  Once again I thought it was a joke along the lines of The Onion or Borowitz.  It's really getting absurd, isn't it?  

prettylight
11 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

^  Once again I thought it was a joke along the lines of The Onion or Borowitz.  It's really getting absurd, isn't it?  

That's right! I didn't even see that.

Wondering if it's just trolling by the Russians (since we shouldn't have to obey them), or if it really is Trump's boss, Putin, asserting his place.

Edited by prettylight

prettylight

Report: Trump told Russians he didn't care about 2016 election interference

President Trump said he was not concerned about Russia's 2016 election interference during a 2017 meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak (in the Oval Office), the Washington Post reports.

• This was the same meeting in which Trump reportedly revealed highly classified information about an ISIS plot.

The big picture: FBI Director Christopher Wray testified in July that "the Russians are absolutely intent on trying to interfere with our elections through foreign influence." In the 2017 meeting, Trump said he was unconcerned because the U.S. does the same thing to other countries, per the Post.

https://www.axios.com/trump-russians-2016-election-interference-0f508682-3bac-4861-8557-1cbc2ab28aab.html

grieker
14 hours ago, prettylight said:

Report: Trump told Russians he didn't care about 2016 election interference

President Trump said he was not concerned about Russia's 2016 election interference during a 2017 meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak (in the Oval Office), the Washington Post reports.

• This was the same meeting in which Trump reportedly revealed highly classified information about an ISIS plot.

The big picture: FBI Director Christopher Wray testified in July that "the Russians are absolutely intent on trying to interfere with our elections through foreign influence." In the 2017 meeting, Trump said he was unconcerned because the U.S. does the same thing to other countries, per the Post.

https://www.axios.com/trump-russians-2016-election-interference-0f508682-3bac-4861-8557-1cbc2ab28aab.html

In case you missed it - the RUSSIAN thing is over.

Pastor of Muppets
5 minutes ago, grieker said:

In case you missed it - the RUSSIAN thing is over.

You are wrong again. Russia has everything to do with the trump/Ukraine treachery. 

grieker
12 minutes ago, Pastor of Muppets said:

You are wrong again. Russia has everything to do with the trump/Ukraine treachery. 

You are once again/still confused my friend.

It is Hillary, the DNC and deep state that had paid foreign agents to create dirt on Trump.  It did include RUSSIA and UKRAINE and Some Brits.  That's how the hole pipe dream of RUSSIAN COLLUSION came about.

You people are, as I type this, going after Trump for exactly what Joey did.  Your efforts this time, as the last time, will largely be dismissed for what it is.  A complete hoax, fraud and a coup inspired impeachment since NOTHING else has been successful.  You people will continue to dig in your shit-pile until SOMETHING, ANYTHING is found or created that will stick long enough to can Trump.

You not only HATE Trump, your outrage and hatred has become more and more focused on anyone who has, is or will support Trump to the point of increasing violence.

Be very careful what you wish for.

For the first time in history the United States Government spied on United States citizens one of whom was a presidential candidate. 

grieker
3 hours ago, Pastor of Muppets said:

Conspiracy Theory #3: Joe Biden, as vice president, pressured Ukraine to remove the prosecutor investigating the company that hired his son.

The Reality: The investigation into the Ukrainian company that hired Hunter Biden was inactive when the younger Biden began working at the company. Separately, allegations of wrongdoing by the company’s CEO predate Hunter Biden’s hiring.

Moreover, America’s NATO allies, Ukrainian anti-corruption activists, and the International Monetary Fund all urged the firing of the ineffective Ukrainian prosecutor that Biden ultimately persuaded the Ukrainian government to dismiss. In short, Joe Biden should be commended for prompting the removal of an ineffective prosecutor in a country riddled with corruption

Reality is:

Full version:

prettylight

"In one of his first calls with a head of state, President Trump fawned over Russian President Vladimir Putin, telling the man who ordered interference in America’s 2016 election that he was a great leader and apologizing profusely for not calling him sooner."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-calls-with-foreign-leaders-have-long-worried-aides-leaving-some-genuinely-horrified/2019/10/04/537cc7a8-e602-11e9-a331-2df12d56a80b_story.html?tid=sm_tw

prettylight

courtesy of PoM:

38 minutes ago, Pastor of Muppets said:

Does anyone still wonder who trump works for?

Experts outraged after Trump quietly moves to pull out of treaty for monitoring Russia

While the world was focused on President Donald Trump’s overnight blindsiding of the Pentagon and U.S. allies, announcing he is pulling troops out of Syria so Turkey can crush Kurdish forces that have helped the U.S. fight ISIS, the Trump administration was quietly laying plans to pull out of a key and critical compact, the Open Skies Treaty.

First proposed in 1992, since 2002 the Open Skies Treaty has allowed the now 34 signatory nations to fly over each others’ territory for the purpose of monitoring and recording military deployments and movements.

In the real world, the Open Skies Treaty allows the most powerful nations on earth to monitor Russian military movements.

And President Trump wants to end that.

U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs Chairman Eliot Engel on Monday sent Trump’s Acting National Security Advisor, Robert O’Brien, a letter demanding he “ensure that the United States does not unwisely and rashly withdraw from the Open Skies Treaty.”

Chairman Engel also called the possible withdrawal “reckless,” and noted “American withdrawal would only benefit Russia.”

Chairman Engel’s letter was followed by this tweet:

Observation flights under the Treaty have generated additional info regarding Russian military action in Ukraine & provided a check on further Russian aggression. @NATO allies have stressed the importance of the Open Skies Treaty for their efforts to monitor Russia’s military.

— House Foreign Affairs Committee (@HouseForeign) October 7, 2019

Experts are perplexed and outraged.

He says pulling out is a bad idea:

I’ve been very critical of Russia’s cheating on the Open Skies Treaty and I do believe we need a serious discussion of its pros and cons. But a precipitous unilateral withdrawal is the wrong way to address those concerns and will damage the unity of the NATO alliance.

— Michael Carpenter (@mikercarpenter) October 7, 2019

Russian Media Analyst:

The Trump administration is pulling out of the Open Skies Treaty, which allows the United States and our allies and partners in Europe to monitor Russian military deployments. Withdrawal risks dividing the transatlantic alliance. #Russia https://t.co/Zqst365U4Jpic.twitter.com/UmbPR7cuRO

— Julia Davis (@JuliaDavisNews) October 7, 2019

prettylight

Trump lifts Turkey sanctions, declaring success in Syria as Turkey and Russia fill void

WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump on Wednesday ordered an end to economic sanctions against Turkey, declaring success for his policy despite a widespread belief among lawmakers of his own party and foreign policy experts that the U.S. withdrawal from the region has been a victory for Turkey and Russia.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-10-23/trump-lifts-sanctions-against-turkey

Farmer Vincent

Pastor of Muppets
14 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

image.jpeg.0e084f71af0dfde051f6a5668dfda5fe.jpeg

? What mission has been accomplished?

The giving away our democracy to fascism? I'd say 80% accomplished.

Farmer Vincent
7 hours ago, Pastor of Muppets said:

? What mission has been accomplished?

The giving away our democracy to fascism? I'd say 80% accomplished.

Handing strategic influence in Syria over to Russia.