Jump to content
prettylight

The Earth just had its hottest September on record

Recommended Posts

prettylight

As Fires Burn in the Amazon, Pope Convenes Meeting on Rainforests and Obligation to Protect Them

Two of the most powerful forces in Brazil, the president and the pope, are pulling in opposite directions on an issue critical to climate change.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/05102019/pope-amazon-forest-fires-synod-bolsonaro-religion-catholic-church-climate-change?utm_source=InsideClimate+News&utm_campaign=1b09c7f431-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_29c928ffb5-1b09c7f431-327524193

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker

If ALL fossil fuel usage were banned today would that stop global warming/climate change? - nope.

If AlLL the animals on the planet were removed from the planet, would that stop global warming/climate change?  -  Nope

If ALL the humans on the planet were removed would that stop global warming/climate change?  -  Nope

Common response to this is "it will at least help", which is said without any evidence, only SWAGs.  

Can't be stopped - period.  

Now, if those ass-hats who continue to call it man-made climate change were all removed from the planet THAT, THAT would help because we'd be done with hearing the bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
10 minutes ago, grieker said:

If ALL fossil fuel usage were banned today would that stop global warming/climate change? - nope.

If AlLL the animals on the planet were removed from the planet, would that stop global warming/climate change?  -  Nope

If ALL the humans on the planet were removed would that stop global warming/climate change?  -  Nope

Common response to this is "it will at least help", which is said without any evidence, only SWAGs.  

Can't be stopped - period.  

Now, if those ass-hats who continue to call it man-made climate change were all removed from the planet THAT, THAT would help because we'd be done with hearing the bullshit.

If all humans fully realized the looming danger and worked towards a common goal, we could:  (1) mitigate and delay the worst effects  (2) gain time to work on solutions  (3) properly prepare for a different kind of world.  It's because of deniers that we've dragged our feet, even gone backwards by easing pollution regulations and open up land for more drilling.  It will only make matter worse quicker.  

The greatest crime ever committed in the history of the planet is still ongoing and the perpetrators are still running free and receiving rewards.  Those perpetrators are the present and former board members of big oil and coal.  Their own very good scientists issued the warning decades ago but couldn't be heard over the sound of money.  They employed a program of deception that's still going on today even after the extreme weather changes and record temperatures.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
37 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

If all humans fully realized the looming danger and worked towards a common goal, we could:  (1) mitigate and delay the worst effects  (2) gain time to work on solutions  (3) properly prepare for a different kind of world.  It's because of deniers that we've dragged our feet, even gone backwards by easing pollution regulations and open up land for more drilling.  It will only make matter worse quicker.  

The greatest crime ever committed in the history of the planet is still ongoing and the perpetrators are still running free and receiving rewards.  Those perpetrators are the present and former board members of big oil and coal.  Their own very good scientists issued the warning decades ago but couldn't be heard over the sound of money.  They employed a program of deception that's still going on today even after the extreme weather changes and record temperatures.   

At BEST you are correct - delay.  Cannot change it, cannot alter it.  It IS going to happen regardless of how miserable you make life for humans nor how much money you throw into the wishing well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
3 minutes ago, grieker said:

At BEST you are correct - delay.  Cannot change it, cannot alter it.  It IS going to happen regardless of how miserable you make life for humans nor how much money you throw into the wishing well. 

We altered the climate, so we can mitigate it to a certain extent.  We don't know what wildcard may come up either by technology or by nature itself that might allow us to escape a mass extinction event, but it's human nature to try to survive.  Unfortunately human nature also includes ignorance and apathy, which is something to fight against as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
12 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

We altered the climate, so we can mitigate it to a certain extent.  We don't know what wildcard may come up either by technology or by nature itself that might allow us to escape a mass extinction event, but it's human nature to try to survive.  Unfortunately human nature also includes ignorance and apathy, which is something to fight against as well.  

No, No Vince, we did not alter the climate.  For millions and millions of years BEFORE humans walked the planet the climate altered itself all by it's little lonesome.

The records of temperatures are but a blink of an eye in the age of the planet.

I haven't read the Green New Deal - does it include how we are going to handle climate when the sun slowly engulfs the earth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
3 minutes ago, grieker said:

No, No Vince, we did not alter the climate.  For millions and millions of years BEFORE humans walked the planet the climate altered itself all by it's little lonesome.

The records of temperatures are but a blink of an eye in the age of the planet.

This ignorance again?  I don't know how many times we've gone over this.  

I'll repost this:

(1) We observe that radiation from sun to earth has been overall steady or very slightly decreasing over the past five decades, yet the amount of energy reflected from Earth back to space has been decreasing over that same period. In other words, we’re seeing clear evidence that our atmosphere is becoming more insulating, decade after decade. This change (less and less energy getting from Earth into space) is very clearly increasing every decade, at least since the beginning of the space age.

(2) Regarding the cause of this increasingly insulating atmosphere, a careful look at the space- and ground-based radiation spectra directly shows the increasing influence of carbon dioxide. For example, outgoing radiation (Earth to space) is decreasing especially at CO2 absorption wavelengths. It is an undeniable fact that we are witnessing an increasing “greenhouse effect” due to increasing CO2.

(3) Regarding the source of the increasing CO2, nearly all of the recently added and continually rising CO2 in our atmosphere has the isotopic signature of burned fossil fuels (as opposed to e.g., volcanoes). This is totally consistent with our collective emissions of about 40 billion tonnes of CO2 gas per year (and rising), which is way more than what all volcanoes emit (around 0.3-2% of that amount).

So, even though climate has changed naturally in the past and will continue to change in the future (with or without humans), the present day surge in CO2 in our atmosphere (about 40 billion tonnes added from burning fossil fuels per year) is, right now, causing a measurable and accelerating reduction in the amount of heat leaving our planet. The fact that this change is measurable over a single human lifetime is mindblowing. It’s a blink of an eye in geological terms.

I’m sure there are many flaws in future climate modelling (no time to get into that ...), but the basic idea, that more CO2 in our atmosphere = more insulating atmosphere, is a fact. Short of the outside influence of some insanely rare event like a civilization-ending asteroid impact, we have every reason to think that adding more CO2 will increase the already-significant effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
On 10/15/2019 at 9:51 AM, Farmer Vincent said:

This ignorance again?  I don't know how many times we've gone over this.  

I'll repost this:

(1) We observe that radiation from sun to earth has been overall steady or very slightly decreasing over the past five decades, yet the amount of energy reflected from Earth back to space has been decreasing over that same period. In other words, we’re seeing clear evidence that our atmosphere is becoming more insulating, decade after decade. This change (less and less energy getting from Earth into space) is very clearly increasing every decade, at least since the beginning of the space age.

(2) Regarding the cause of this increasingly insulating atmosphere, a careful look at the space- and ground-based radiation spectra directly shows the increasing influence of carbon dioxide. For example, outgoing radiation (Earth to space) is decreasing especially at CO2 absorption wavelengths. It is an undeniable fact that we are witnessing an increasing “greenhouse effect” due to increasing CO2.

(3) Regarding the source of the increasing CO2, nearly all of the recently added and continually rising CO2 in our atmosphere has the isotopic signature of burned fossil fuels (as opposed to e.g., volcanoes). This is totally consistent with our collective emissions of about 40 billion tonnes of CO2 gas per year (and rising), which is way more than what all volcanoes emit (around 0.3-2% of that amount).

So, even though climate has changed naturally in the past and will continue to change in the future (with or without humans), the present day surge in CO2 in our atmosphere (about 40 billion tonnes added from burning fossil fuels per year) is, right now, causing a measurable and accelerating reduction in the amount of heat leaving our planet. The fact that this change is measurable over a single human lifetime is mindblowing. It’s a blink of an eye in geological terms.

I’m sure there are many flaws in future climate modelling (no time to get into that ...), but the basic idea, that more CO2 in our atmosphere = more insulating atmosphere, is a fact. Short of the outside influence of some insanely rare event like a civilization-ending asteroid impact, we have every reason to think that adding more CO2 will increase the already-significant effect.

One one hundredth of one degree.... by 2050

  1. One One-Hundredth of a Degree - Moonbattery

    https://moonbattery.com/one-one-hundredth-of-a-degree

    One One-Hundredth of a Degree Even EPA Commissar Gina McCarthy admits that Obama’s draconian regulations ostensibly intended to improve the weather by crippling the energy industry would not produce any perceptible change in temperature:

  2. 'One one-hundredth of a degree?' EPA's McCarthy admits ...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkkeLpbz0-Y

    Jul 15, 2015 · CHAIRMAN LAMAR SMITH: "On the Clean Power Plan, former Obama Administration Assistant Secretary Charles McConnell said at best it will reduce global temperature by only one one-hundredth of a ...

    • Author: The HARRY READ ME File
    • Views: 14K
  3. One-hundredth - definition of one-hundredth by The Free ...

    https://www.thefreedictionary.com/one-hundredth

    Define one-hundredth. one-hundredth synonyms, one-hundredth pronunciation, one-hundredth translation, English dictionary definition of one-hundredth. Noun 1. one-hundredth - one part in a hundred equal parts one percent, hundredth common fraction, simple fraction - the quotient of two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent

If we can hold below the 1.5 C tipping point, that would be great.  And just so you understand, there wouldn't be any oil profits to protect if we're extinct.  

Edited by Farmer Vincent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...