LTnewsDawg

Graham: Syria decision could be 'biggest mistake' of Trump's presidency

LTnewsDawg

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Wednesday warned that unless President Trump reverses course his decision to pull U.S. troops out of northern Syria it "will be the biggest mistake of his presidency.""I hope he's ri...

View the full article

Farmer Vincent

Oooo.  He threatens a resolution, which Trump would promptly ignore.  

Dan Daniels
13 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Oooo.  He threatens a resolution, which Trump would promptly ignore.  

Sanctions on Turkey is not all bad. Toilet paper is more useful than congressional resolutions.

Farmer Vincent
16 minutes ago, Dan Daniels said:

Sanctions on Turkey is not all bad. Toilet paper is more useful than congressional resolutions.

Sanctions on a NATO ally isn't all that good either and it's not a fair trade for genocide of the Kurds.  Trump is putting us in a no win situation. 

Dan Daniels
9 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Sanctions on a NATO ally isn't all that good either and it's not a fair trade for genocide of the Kurds.  Trump is putting us in a no win situation. 

Syria has always been a no win situation. 

Pastor of Muppets
3 minutes ago, Dan Daniels said:

I'm not so sure. Putin is smiling about now.

Dan Daniels
1 minute ago, Pastor of Muppets said:

I'm not so sure. Putin is smiling about now.

That just may work out for him. They don't care about who they kill, we do. 

Farmer Vincent
4 minutes ago, Dan Daniels said:

Any war comes at a cost.  But with Syria we were on the right track up until now.  Turning our backs on the Kurds who helped us in a big way will have repercussions that go beyond three nations.  Other allies will trust us less.  

Dan Daniels
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Any war comes at a cost.  But with Syria we were on the right track up until now.  Turning our backs on the Kurds who helped us in a big way will have repercussions that go beyond three nations.  Other allies will trust us less.  

It's my understanding the number of US troops that were moved from the border was 50 and Turkey was going to invade whether the US troops were there or not. If true the withdrawal saved 50 US lives. 

Edit to add, and saved a possible war with Turkey.

Edited by Dan Daniels

Farmer Vincent
31 minutes ago, Dan Daniels said:

It's my understanding the number of US troops that were moved from the border was 50 and Turkey was going to invade whether the US troops were there or not. If true the withdrawal saved 50 US lives. 

Edit to add, and saved a possible war with Turkey.

We're still withdrawing US presence and leaving the Kurds out to their own devices.   All the generals/Pentagon are against this.  

Dan Daniels

I take the input from the pentagon and the generals with a grain of salt. They're in the business of preparing for and engaging in war. 

Farmer Vincent
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dan Daniels said:

I take the input from the pentagon and the generals with a grain of salt. They're in the business of preparing for and engaging in war. 

I disagree.  The lobbyists of the military industrial complex are in that business but they go after influencing lawmakers.  The upper echelon of the Pentagon are in the business of strategic planning in the geopolitical environment and have an eye towards limiting future conflicts, which includes not withdrawing a presence in a way that would leave an ally vulnerable or an enemy to recover and regroup.   

Edited by Farmer Vincent

Dan Daniels
4 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

I disagree.  The lobbyists of the military industrial complex are in that business but they go after influencing lawmakers.  The upper echelon of the Pentagon are in the business of strategic planning in the geopolitical environment and have an eye towards limiting future conflicts, which includes not withdrawing a presence in a way that would leave an ally vulnerable or an enemy to recover and regroup.   

I'll take those 50 American lives over anything you or they are saying. 

Farmer Vincent
Just now, Dan Daniels said:

I'll take those 50 American lives over anything you or they are saying. 

Those 50 weren't on any kind of suicide mission.  They and the Kurds had things well in hand.  It's just that Erdogan was itching to go after the Kurds, using the excuse that they would go after IS.  And now that attack has started.  

See what the Republicans in Congress are saying about it.  

Dan Daniels
3 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Those 50 weren't on any kind of suicide mission.  They and the Kurds had things well in hand.  It's just that Erdogan was itching to go after the Kurds, using the excuse that they would go after IS.  And now that attack has started.  

I really don't give two shits what any congress critter is saying, republican or democrat.

Today those 50 Americans are safe and alive.

Farmer Vincent

Kurds abandon fight against Isil as Turkey attacks with air power and artillery deep into Syria

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/09/syrian-kurds-call-civilians-front-lines-turkey-warns-attack/

1 minute ago, Dan Daniels said:

I really don't give two shits what any congress critter is saying, republican or democrat.

Today those 50 Americans are safe and alive.

How about if we abandon (cut and run) all foreign posts?  No problem, right?  As long as our guys are more safe.  

Dan Daniels
1 minute ago, Farmer Vincent said:

How about if we abandon (cut and run) all foreign posts?  No problem, right?  As long as our guys are more safe.  

Now you're acting stupid.

I believe Turkey was going to invade whether those 50 Americans were along the border or not. Those 50 would not make a difference with the invasion if that is correct.

Farmer Vincent

Now you're acting stupid.

I believe Turkey was going to invade whether those 50 Americans were along the border or not. Those 50 would not make a difference with the invasion if that is correct.

Wrong. 

prettylight
12 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Sometimes I wonder if Trump thinks allies are suckers. (Even though he says "I need loyalty.")

And if he only respects people who intimidate him, thugs like Erdogan.

Or maybe that's beside the point, and this is about something else entirely (blackmail, working for Putin, etc.).

Dan Daniels
2 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Wrong. 

Really?

Farmer Vincent

Really?

Erdogan wasn't going to make a move unless we gave permission and withdrew those troops, as per a previous agreement.  

Dan Daniels
1 minute ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Erdogan wasn't going to make a move unless we gave permission and withdrew those troops, as per a previous agreement.  

And you know this how?

Farmer Vincent
3 minutes ago, Dan Daniels said:

And you know this how?

For a year Turkey and the US had been working on a buffer zone, or what they called a security mechanism along the Syrian border that would keep Kurds and Turkish forces separated.  It was working fine.  So now this inexplicable move destroys that, essentially wrecking Trump's own plan.  

How Trump just destroyed his own Syria strategy

"Rayburn warned that a Turkish attack in northeastern Syria would not only be a disaster for the region, but would also set back efforts to solve the greater Syria conflict and hand a gift to America’s enemies. He also warned that it would hurt other U.S. objectives, namely to ensure the enduring defeat of the Islamic State and push back against Iran.

“[The buffer zone] is part of a larger effort to stabilize at a political level the border between Turkey and Syria east of the Euphrates. ... That’s a necessary condition for the resolution of the overall conflict,” he said. “We certainly think that a conflict along the Turkey-Syria border would serve the interests of all the bad actors in the conflict and in the surrounding region — whether that’s [the Islamic State] or al-Qaeda or the Iranian regime, or what have you.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/09/how-trump-just-destroyed-his-own-syria-strategy/

Dan Daniels
17 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

For a year Turkey and the US had been working on a buffer zone, or what they called a security mechanism along the Syrian border that would keep Kurds and Turkish forces separated.  It was working fine.  So now this inexplicable move destroys that, essentially wrecking Trump's own plan.  

How Trump just destroyed his own Syria strategy

"Rayburn warned that a Turkish attack in northeastern Syria would not only be a disaster for the region, but would also set back efforts to solve the greater Syria conflict and hand a gift to America’s enemies. He also warned that it would hurt other U.S. objectives, namely to ensure the enduring defeat of the Islamic State and push back against Iran.

“[The buffer zone] is part of a larger effort to stabilize at a political level the border between Turkey and Syria east of the Euphrates. ... That’s a necessary condition for the resolution of the overall conflict,” he said. “We certainly think that a conflict along the Turkey-Syria border would serve the interests of all the bad actors in the conflict and in the surrounding region — whether that’s [the Islamic State] or al-Qaeda or the Iranian regime, or what have you.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/09/how-trump-just-destroyed-his-own-syria-strategy/

You maybe correct. I'm not sure that agreement remained following the Sunday communications between Erdogan and Trump.

prettylight
1 hour ago, Farmer Vincent said:

He has that conflict of interest in Trump Towers, Istanbul.  

image.jpeg.82623fc1371195f968c6995b1d0f0f1c.jpeg

That's right. How could I forget?!

On 10/8/2019 at 8:20 AM, Farmer Vincent said:

Trump On Turkey: ‘I Have A Little Conflict Of Interest ... It’s Called Trump Towers’

"Trump made the comment in a Breitbart News interview in December 2015 during his presidential campaign when asked how he would handle Turkey and Syria.

“I have a little conflict of interest ’cause I have a major, major building in Istanbul,” Trump boasted in response. “It’s a tremendously successful job. It’s called Trump Towers — two towers, instead of one, not the usual one; it’s two. And I’ve gotten to know Turkey very well. They’re amazing people, they’re incredible people. They have a strong leader.”

He said then that the situation was “complicated,” adding, “I thrive on complicated.” Trump did not reveal what he would do in the region if he were to become commander in chief.

Trump still profits from Trump Towers in Istanbul, and the “strong leader” then was the same as now: President Recep Tayyip Erdogan."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/conflict-of-interest-donald-trump-syria-kurds-turkey_n_5d9bb7bfe4b0fc935edf5be0?ncid=APPLENEWS00001&guccounter=1

Erdogan could have easily pressured Trump by threatening to withdraw occupancy permits or forcing him to install sprinklers or any number of things.  That's why there's certain requirements for presidents.  

Farmer Vincent
1 hour ago, Dan Daniels said:

You maybe correct. I'm not sure that agreement remained following the Sunday communications between Erdogan and Trump.

Something happened.  Maybe someday we'll find out what that communication was, but it sure did cause an abrupt change.