Jump to content
prettylight

Dick's crossed the NRA. Now Dick's has to deal with... its best sales quarters in years

Recommended Posts

prettylight
 
image.png.bd7c7b081ad44107fbc780e863229afd.png
 
 
 Last year, the Parkland students took on the National Rifle Association (NRA). All of the adults in the proverbial room told them that it was futile because the NRA was just too powerful with its legion of followers. The kids didn’t know any better and took them head on, even when everyone was trying to give them the prerequisite thoughts and prayers.

The student survivors of the massacre found themselves being viciously attacked by the right, but they held marches and rallies across the nation regardless, and intensely targeted the campaigns of cowardly legislators. Their efforts paid off. They got gun safety legislation passed in several states, and then shamed virtually every one of the NRA’s sponsors. The kids showed what many of us have known for years: the NRA is a paper tiger.

After the Parkland shooting, the CEO of Dick’s Sporting Goods, Ed Stack, promised the kids to stop selling all assault rifles and high-capacity magazines. (There is no reason for anyone outside the military to have these.) But he went further. He worked with Everytown for Gun Safety, he signed a letter endorsing gun safety legislation, hired lobbyists to push Congressional action, and even destroyed $5 million worth of unsold assault rifles. He made it clear that he was standing with the students against the NRA.

....

The promised backlash was intense… For about two weeks. After all, Dick’s caters to hunters and outdoorsmen, who tend to be the target audience for the NRA. It was a bold stand. Then something amazing happened: Dick’s found its sales growing significantly, quarter after quarter after quarter. The stock skyrocketed and has consistently doubled Wall Street expectations this year.

 And now?

The Pittsburgh-based chain posted its best quarterly sales result in six years Tuesday, with same-store sales up 6% in the company's third quarter. That comes on top of a better than 3% increase in same store sales in the second quarter, executives noted.

"We saw increases in both average ticket and transactions, as well as growth across each of our three primary categories of hardlines, apparel and footwear,” said Edward W. Stack, chairman and chief executive officer. “As we head into the holiday season, we remain very enthusiastic about our business."

Dick’s keeps growing, and its profits keep increasing. I can’t stress enough how bad this looks for the NRA. The one thing they could always count on is to get its minions to mobilize and strong-arm against any action whatsoever to stop gun massacres. I guess that’s not a thing anymore. The NRA is now a toxic brand, and it’s about damn time.

I’m sure other companies are taking notice. This new generation of voters is not obsessed with guns and correctly believes that the gun fetish culture isn’t just sick, but deadly. The popular thing to do is finally the right thing to do: cut ties with the NRA.

It’s only a matter of time before most politicians will come to that same conclusion.

 
 
Edited by prettylight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker

You do realize this has zero to do with the NRA and Dick's decision to stop selling those firearms, right?

It is a result of a strong economy and you'll see other stores having similar sales.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
15 minutes ago, grieker said:

You do realize this has zero to do with the NRA and Dick's decision to stop selling those firearms, right?

It is a result of a strong economy and you'll see other stores having similar sales.

 

If that's the case then anybody not selling guns should have a negligable effect across the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
31 minutes ago, lanzate said:

The specialty gun shop made buying a gun at places like Walmart and dicks go out of style years ago.   They lost gun sales to places like bass pro and cabelas and even small stores that are able  to employ more knowledgeable staff.   It made sense to get out of that market.  They are not a hunting store.   They should stick to what they are good at which is selling lacrosse gear and women’s leggings.   

I agree with that assessment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Artvandolay
On 11/29/2019 at 1:01 PM, Farmer Vincent said:

If that's the case then anybody not selling guns should have a negligable effect across the board. 

 

On 11/29/2019 at 12:45 PM, grieker said:

You do realize this has zero to do with the NRA and Dick's decision to stop selling those firearms, right?

It is a result of a strong economy and you'll see other stores having similar sales.

 

Lower taxes, record low unemployment, 401(k)s booming like never before, wall street breaking  records 100 times post Trump inauguration, higher wages not to mention transparent prices from hospitals, a new nafta and we are breaking oil and natural gas production, besting down OPEC. OPEC? When was the last time they had any say in our fuel prices and access to it?

Lizzy Warren or Bernie?? Not gonna happen, folks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent

Trump is betting on the wrong horse.  Fossil fuels are on their way out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Artvandolay
18 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Trump is betting on the wrong horse.  Fossil fuels are on their way out. 

True. But 10 years from now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
48 minutes ago, Artvandolay said:

True. But 10 years from now. 

Sooner if a Democrat wins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Artvandolay
12 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Sooner if a Democrat wins. 

Technically, don't you think  that goal is a long shot? Not just cars, but the grid, the cloud, all computing and of course heating homes, schools, hospitals, etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
2 hours ago, Artvandolay said:

Technically, don't you think  that goal is a long shot? Not just cars, but the grid, the cloud, all computing and of course heating homes, schools, hospitals, etc.

 

 

Developing a nuclear bomb was a long shot too.  It's a must do and much of it can be accomplished if the public has the will and those they elect have the guts. 

Edited by Farmer Vincent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Artvandolay
6 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Developing a nuclear bomb was a long shot too.  It's a must do and much of it can be accomplished if the public has the will and those they elect have the guts. 

I'm not disagreeing with you on the will. 

How do multiple major industries get deconstructed and reinvented quickly? It will be done but it will take time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
24 minutes ago, Artvandolay said:

I'm not disagreeing with you on the will. 

How do multiple major industries get deconstructed and reinvented quickly? It will be done but it will take time. 

I like the proposal in the UK right now.  Any industry that doesn't make an effort to go green with product and process gets kicked off the stock exchange.  But I'm afraid that in order for that to work there would have to be a good public education effort or too large a portion of the populace is going to boycott various industries, most prominently the auto industry, and cause economic problems at a time when cash flow is most needed.  But the longer we take to get going on this stuff the more mother nature is going to provide the education.  

Edited by Farmer Vincent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
16 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

I like the proposal in the UK right now.  Any industry that doesn't make an effort to go green with product and process gets kicked off the stock exchange.  But I'm afraid that in order for that to work there would have to be a good public education effort or too large a portion of the populace is going to boycott various industries, most prominently the auto industry, and cause economic problems at a time when cash flow is most needed.  But the longer we take to get going on this stuff the more mother nature is going to provide the education.  

"...doesn't make an effort to go green ..."

Just what does that mean Vince?  

If you look at the increase in pollutant increases of major countries recently some increasing better than 100% vs the United States decrease by 10% we can see where the problems lie and getting the hell out out of the global warming debacle pact was a smart thing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
11 minutes ago, grieker said:

"...doesn't make an effort to go green ..."

Just what does that mean Vince?  

If you look at the increase in pollutant increases of major countries recently some increasing better than 100% vs the United States decrease by 10% we can see where the problems lie and getting the hell out out of the global warming debacle pact was a smart thing to do.

The Paris agreement calls for everyone to cut carbon to zero by 2050 but not every country is in the agreement.  There are some countries that will have an easier time of reaching that goal than others.  It mostly depends on how industrialized they are. 

For the US it's complicated.  California, which has the fifth largest economy in the world, is still keeping that goal set in Paris.  The rest of the country could be lagging but fortunately money is following the going green trend and it has resulted in coal burning power plants closing and wind and solar taking off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
27 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

The Paris agreement calls for everyone to cut carbon to zero by 2050 but not every country is in the agreement.  There are some countries that will have an easier time of reaching that goal than others.  It mostly depends on how industrialized they are. 

For the US it's complicated.  California, which has the fifth largest economy in the world, is still keeping that goal set in Paris.  The rest of the country could be lagging but fortunately money is following the going green trend and it has resulted in coal burning power plants closing and wind and solar taking off. 

"...doesn't make an effort to go green ..."

What does that mean in the context of what you posted Vince?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
1 hour ago, grieker said:

"...doesn't make an effort to go green ..."

What does that mean in the context of what you posted Vince?

Take for example a heavy industry that uses a lot of energy, like steelmaking.  Using coke in the smelting process releases huge amounts of CO2.  Using electricity can be cleaner, depending on the source of the electricity.  CO2 capture systems can be used as well.  Auto manufacturing going to electric vehicles is a definite move in the right direction as well, but that transition shouldn't take too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
5 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Take for example a heavy industry that uses a lot of energy, like steelmaking.  Using coke in the smelting process releases huge amounts of CO2.  Using electricity can be cleaner, depending on the source of the electricity.  CO2 capture systems can be used as well.  Auto manufacturing going to electric vehicles is a definite move in the right direction as well, but that transition shouldn't take too long. 

Okay, so neither of us know what that means.  

Presumably it's like the standard, "might, could, should, maybe etc..."  No definition as to what "make an effort" means.

Fortunately it's a proposal otherwise completely stagnation in growth in the UK is definite.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
25 minutes ago, grieker said:

Okay, so neither of us know what that means.  

Presumably it's like the standard, "might, could, should, maybe etc..."  No definition as to what "make an effort" means.

Fortunately it's a proposal otherwise completely stagnation in growth in the UK is definite.  

Stagnation seems unlikely amidst skyrocketing growth in green tech.  But its economic uncertainty or dead planet.   We have to decide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lanzate

Green tech growth will happen naturally with the market.   Government directed simply means the well connected will get more like Obama’s payments to failed solar companies.  The “should could maybe” language keeps it vague so money can again be directed to the “important” players.    This is the nature of the game.  It’s why governments love socialist programs.   Climate programs more than any other environmental government programs are a bone for the rich and well connected.     Nobody in the bottom 90% of earners are getting 10s of thousand dollar tax breaks so they can buy a fancy EV sports car.   
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
1 hour ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Stagnation seems unlikely amidst skyrocketing growth in green tech.  But its economic uncertainty or dead planet.   We have to decide. 

Ya know how many coal plants the Chinese are building each day to power the manufacturing of solar panels etc...  

Whether th eplanet lives or dies is NOT our decision - at least it's not in our control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
4 minutes ago, grieker said:

Ya know how many coal plants the Chinese are building each day to power the manufacturing of solar panels etc...  

Whether th eplanet lives or dies is NOT our decision - at least it's not in our control.

Do you suggest we all just truck along pretending everything is just fine?  Keep drilling, keep having babies, keep voting for deniers.  Maybe buy that house right on the beach we always wanted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
13 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Do you suggest we all just truck along pretending everything is just fine?  Keep drilling, keep having babies, keep voting for deniers.  Maybe buy that house right on the beach we always wanted. 

I suggest we concentrate on plans to keep humans safe from the "inevitable" rising waters realizing there is nothing humans can do to stop the rising waters if Earth wants the water to rise.

'Water World' wasn't just a movie - it was a prophecy.

Beach homes - lol, Al "Fat-Ass" Gore bought one and so did Oblama - so there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
5 minutes ago, grieker said:

I suggest we concentrate on plans to keep humans safe from the "inevitable" rising waters realizing there is nothing humans can do to stop the rising waters if Earth wants the water to rise.

'Water World' wasn't just a movie - it was a prophecy.

Beach homes - lol, Al "Fat-Ass" Gore bought one and so did Oblama - so there's that.

I don't care where other people have houses.  What I do know is that Lancaster county is probably one of the best places to be if globalism collapses and we have to revert to being local agrarian.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
2 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

I don't care where other people have houses.  What I do know is that Lancaster county is probably one of the best places to be if globalism collapses and we have to revert to being local agrarian.  

Many, many, many places on the planet will work for that.  As I type Brazil is expanding it's agrarian capabilities.

Lancaster county is also loaded with enough firearms to thwart-off those who would steal from others should push-come-to-shove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer Vincent
19 minutes ago, grieker said:

Many, many, many places on the planet will work for that.  As I type Brazil is expanding it's agrarian capabilities.

Lancaster county is also loaded with enough firearms to thwart-off those who would steal from others should push-come-to-shove.

Brazil is expanding its agrarian capabilities at the cost of valuable rainforest.  If you're planning on going there you should learn some Portuguese and don't forget that you'd have to leave your guns behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
21 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Brazil is expanding its agrarian capabilities at the cost of valuable rainforest.  If you're planning on going there you should learn some Portuguese and don't forget that you'd have to leave your guns behind. 

Brazil is not a place I'd go.  There are enough places in America that frown on firearms, so I need not go to Brazil to realize a loss of firepower.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...