Jump to content
prettylight

Republicans are exploiting the pandemic to enact wildly unpopular laws

Recommended Posts

prettylight

update from Social Security Works this afternoon:

 

Trump eyeing defunding Social Security by fiat

Together, we mobilized and defeated Trump’s plan to force Congress to defund Social Security in the next round of COVID-19 relief. But his economic advisors just launched a new trial balloon for an unconstitutional power grab in the Wall Street Journal op-ed page:1

He should declare a national economic emergency and announce that the Internal Revenue Service will immediately stop collecting the payroll tax.

That’s right: With Congress unwilling to do his dirty work, Trump advisors are looking for a way to defund Social Security by fiat. And this call comes while a new dark money group is launching a six-figure ad buy to push Trump’s scheme.2

Donald Trump is so desperate to defund Social Security, he may rip the Constitution to shreds to make it happen. This scheme―which he calls the ‘payroll tax cut’―leaves out tipped workers, employees who lose shifts because of the economic slowdown, or people who lose their jobs entirely. Cutting Social Security contributions by definition only helps businesses and people who still have a regular paycheck.

Trump has already stated that he’d like to defund Social Security permanently, and this scheme sets up a time bomb for the Biden administration. If Trump wins re-election, he’ll seek to permanently defund Social Security, while if Biden wins and restores Social Security’s funding, Republicans will immediately attack him for “raising taxes.”

Defunding Social Security is part of a two-step scheme with the TRUST Act, which is championed by Mitt Romney and a part of Mitch McConnell’s COVID-19 proposal last week. First, they eliminate Social Security’s revenue; then, the annual shortfall―where Social Security is forced to tap its $2.9 trillion surplus―triggers the TRUST Act’s fast-track cuts process.

....

This proposal is part of a frightening trend of Trump seeking expanded authoritarian powers as the election nears. If he gets away with defunding our Social Security system by fiat, he’ll know he can get away with anything. 

....

Thanks,

Michael Phelan
Social Security Works

1 https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-trump-can-deliver-tax-relief-without-congress-11596396830?mod=hp_opin_pos_2
2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=58&feature=emb_title&v=rDZKu9GnLko&app=desktop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
Posted (edited)

Trump eyes weekend executive order if coronavirus relief talks stall

putting the Payroll Tax cut back in, to undermine Social Security

 

"Trump has pushed for a payroll tax cut to be included in the next relief measure, though the idea has been rebuffed by both Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill. "

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/510879-trump-eyes-weekend-executive-order-if-coronavirus-relief-talks-stall

Edited by prettylight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
EXECUTIVE ORDER WARNING (Social Security)
 

Over the weekend, one of Trump’s senior advisors proposed that Trump ignore Congress and stop collecting Social Security funding unilaterally. Today, Trump announced that he was planning to defund Social Security and Medicare by Executive Order.

We warned that it was blatantly unconstitutional―but he doesn’t care. Trump is willing to shred the constitution to give corporations another handout while defunding Social Security and Medicare.

....

This isn’t a partisan issue―Republican Senators including Chuck Grassley of Iowa spoke out against defunding Social Security when Trump insisted that he would veto any COVID response bill that didn’t include what he calls a “payroll tax cut.”

The Constitution says: “The Congress shall have Power to lay and Collect taxes.” Donald Trump swore to uphold that constitution. This Executive Order, if enacted, would be a direct violation of the Oath of Office.

Social Security Works members have already directed hundreds of calls into Senate offices today. We’re not going to let up until they stand up to Trump and protect Social Security!

....

Thanks,

Alex Lawson
Social Security Works

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
15 hours ago, prettylight said:
EXECUTIVE ORDER WARNING (Social Security)
 

Over the weekend, one of Trump’s senior advisors proposed that Trump ignore Congress and stop collecting Social Security funding unilaterally. Today, Trump announced that he was planning to defund Social Security and Medicare by Executive Order.

We warned that it was blatantly unconstitutional―but he doesn’t care. Trump is willing to shred the constitution to give corporations another handout while defunding Social Security and Medicare.

....

This isn’t a partisan issue―Republican Senators including Chuck Grassley of Iowa spoke out against defunding Social Security when Trump insisted that he would veto any COVID response bill that didn’t include what he calls a “payroll tax cut.”

The Constitution says: “The Congress shall have Power to lay and Collect taxes.” Donald Trump swore to uphold that constitution. This Executive Order, if enacted, would be a direct violation of the Oath of Office.

Social Security Works members have already directed hundreds of calls into Senate offices today. We’re not going to let up until they stand up to Trump and protect Social Security!

....

Thanks,

Alex Lawson
Social Security Works

 

Fortunately Alex and company are not biased otherwise I'd have difficulty believing the above lies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, grieker said:

Fortunately Alex and company are not biased otherwise I'd have difficulty believing the above lies.

 

They're biased in favor of keeping Social Security, and keeping a sharp eye on those politicians who would surreptitiously undermine it when nobody's looking.

--

it looks like this was the lie :( :

5 times Trump tweeted that he would never cut Medicaid - Vox

 

 

Edited by prettylight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
3 hours ago, prettylight said:

 

They're biased in favor of keeping Social Security, and keeping a sharp eye on those politicians who would surreptitiously undermine it when nobody's looking.

--

it looks like this was the lie :( :

5 times Trump tweeted that he would never cut Medicaid - Vox

 

 

I don't see the tweet where he says he's cutting/killing/doing away with or ANYTHING about social Security.  Please provide it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker

Even Snopes who does not like Trump, admits the claims about Trump wanting to cut social security and medicare are progressive fodder for the progressive dumb masses.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-social-security/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, grieker said:

Even Snopes who does not like Trump, admits the claims about Trump wanting to cut social security and medicare are progressive fodder for the progressive dumb masses.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-social-security/

That is dated December, 2016. ^ "Published 10 December 2016"

 

Back then, maybe he was still promising he wouldn't cut them. :(

Edited by prettylight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
1 minute ago, prettylight said:

That is dated December, 2016.

Back then, he was still promising he wouldn't cut them. :(

Still waiting for your posting of anything he said where he WILL cut it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
23 minutes ago, grieker said:

I don't see the tweet where he says he's cutting/killing/doing away with or ANYTHING about social Security.  Please provide it.

 

Is there a tweet? I have no idea, but that seems to be the plan:

 

Kudlow says he believes Trump will sign payroll tax cut order

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/511034-kudlow-says-he-believes-trump-will-sign-payroll-tax-cut-order

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
1 minute ago, grieker said:

Still waiting for your posting of anything he said where he WILL cut it.

 

sure. Kind of garbled, but,

 

Screen-Shot-2020-08-01-at-1.35.48-PM.png

 

Trump tweet on student loans, stimulus package, unemployment benefits, evictions

 

 

 

and this was before the coronavirus--maybe before he saw the chance to exploit the pandemic, to try to railroad this through before the end of his first term:

Trump's Second-Term Plan For Social Security: Starve The Beast

https://www.forbes.com/sites/teresaghilarducci/2019/08/23/trumps-second-term-plan-for-social-security-starve-the-beast/#6557a10d3794

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
17 minutes ago, prettylight said:

 

sure. Kind of garbled, but,

 

Screen-Shot-2020-08-01-at-1.35.48-PM.png

 

Trump tweet on student loans, stimulus package, unemployment benefits, evictions

 

 

 

and this was before the coronavirus--maybe before he saw the chance to exploit the pandemic, to try to railroad this through before the end of his first term:

Trump's Second-Term Plan For Social Security: Starve The Beast

https://www.forbes.com/sites/teresaghilarducci/2019/08/23/trumps-second-term-plan-for-social-security-starve-the-beast/#6557a10d3794

It's not his message that's garbled PL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
18 minutes ago, grieker said:

It's not his message that's garbled PL.

You're right, I stand corrected. It's simple and clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
6 minutes ago, prettylight said:

You're right, I stand corrected. It's simple and clear.

What is simple and "clear" is the progressives lack of textual comprehension.  

Cutting payroll taxes does NOT equate to CUTTING SOCIAL SECURITY TAXES as the progressives believe.  Of course progressives believe that not INCREASING a segment in any budget line item means a CUT in that line item.  They're wrong of course, but they still believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
1 minute ago, grieker said:

What is simple and "clear" is the progressives lack of textual comprehension.  

Cutting payroll taxes does NOT equate to CUTTING SOCIAL SECURITY TAXES as the progressives believe.  Of course progressives believe that not INCREASING a segment in any budget line item means a CUT in that line item.  They're wrong of course, but they still believe it.

tell it to the experts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pastor of Muppets
44 minutes ago, prettylight said:

tell it to the experts

G doesn't have to, he is one of them. /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
6 hours ago, Pastor of Muppets said:

G doesn't have to, he is one of them. /s

that's right, lol

--

speaking of experts, here is another update from Social Security Works:

 

UPDATE:

Tonight, Donald Trump took the stage at a golf club he owns, before a crowd of rich people swilling wine and held a press conference threatening to defund Social Security.

But here’s the important thing: While throughout the day, White House officials have said that Trump would sign an executive order to steal Social Security’s funding, HE DID NOT.

....

Here’s where things stand: Trump is threatening to withhold Social Security’s dedicated funding unless Democrats cave to his pro-corporate, pro-Big Pharma agenda. He also promised that if he’s re-elected, he would eliminate Social Security’s funding permanently.

....

In solidarity,

Alex Lawson
Social Security Works

 

 

--MICHAEL’S EMAIL FROM EARLIER--

 

BREAKING: Yesterday afternoon, Trump announced that he was preparing an executive order asking the IRS to stop collecting Social Security and Medicare’s dedicated funding. Let’s be clear: This is unconstitutional. Only Congress has the power to adjust tax rates.

America is in a crisis. For 20 straight weeks, more than 1 million Americans have filed for unemployment. More than 160,000 Americans are dead, and nearly 5 million coronavirus cases have been diagnosed. Instead of taking action to protect Americans from the virus, Trump is plowing ahead with a scheme to destroy Social Security and Medicare without regard for the Constitution.

....

While Trump is acting unilaterally and unconstitutionally to defund Social Security:

  • He’s doing nothing to help cities and states who are being bankrupted by the economic contraction
  • He’s doing nothing to help struggling families hoping for a second $1200 check
  • He’s doing nothing for small businesses whose PPP funding is expiring
  • He’s doing nothing to increase America’s testing and tracing capacity, which is ACTUALLY the only way out of the pandemic
  • He’s ignoring the need for hazard pay for frontline workers who have been risking their lives for months
  • He’s actively sabotaging the US Postal Service, making it harder for people to receive vital communication and medicine

Trump’s unilateral actions don’t just create a constitutional crisis―they’re a recipe for another Great Depression. Republican Senators spoke out against Trump’s so-called “payroll tax cut” when they were going to have to vote for it. We’re going to make them speak out against this unconstitutional Executive Order to defund Social Security and Medicare!

Thanks,

Michael Phelan
Social Security Works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grieker
11 hours ago, prettylight said:

that's right, lol

--

speaking of experts, here is another update from Social Security Works:

 

UPDATE:

Tonight, Donald Trump took the stage at a golf club he owns, before a crowd of rich people swilling wine and held a press conference threatening to defund Social Security.

But here’s the important thing: While throughout the day, White House officials have said that Trump would sign an executive order to steal Social Security’s funding, HE DID NOT.

....

Here’s where things stand: Trump is threatening to withhold Social Security’s dedicated funding unless Democrats cave to his pro-corporate, pro-Big Pharma agenda. He also promised that if he’s re-elected, he would eliminate Social Security’s funding permanently.

....

In solidarity,

Alex Lawson
Social Security Works

 

 

--MICHAEL’S EMAIL FROM EARLIER--

 

BREAKING: Yesterday afternoon, Trump announced that he was preparing an executive order asking the IRS to stop collecting Social Security and Medicare’s dedicated funding. Let’s be clear: This is unconstitutional. Only Congress has the power to adjust tax rates.

America is in a crisis. For 20 straight weeks, more than 1 million Americans have filed for unemployment. More than 160,000 Americans are dead, and nearly 5 million coronavirus cases have been diagnosed. Instead of taking action to protect Americans from the virus, Trump is plowing ahead with a scheme to destroy Social Security and Medicare without regard for the Constitution.

....

While Trump is acting unilaterally and unconstitutionally to defund Social Security:

  • He’s doing nothing to help cities and states who are being bankrupted by the economic contraction
  • He’s doing nothing to help struggling families hoping for a second $1200 check
  • He’s doing nothing for small businesses whose PPP funding is expiring
  • He’s doing nothing to increase America’s testing and tracing capacity, which is ACTUALLY the only way out of the pandemic
  • He’s ignoring the need for hazard pay for frontline workers who have been risking their lives for months
  • He’s actively sabotaging the US Postal Service, making it harder for people to receive vital communication and medicine

Trump’s unilateral actions don’t just create a constitutional crisis―they’re a recipe for another Great Depression. Republican Senators spoke out against Trump’s so-called “payroll tax cut” when they were going to have to vote for it. We’re going to make them speak out against this unconstitutional Executive Order to defund Social Security and Medicare!

Thanks,

Michael Phelan
Social Security Works

You poor schleps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
ICYMI: Trump promised to 'terminate' Social Security
 

Yesterday, Donald Trump signed an executive order instructing the IRS to stop collecting Social Security's dedicated funding. Here is our statement from last night:


In 2016, Donald Trump ran for President on the claim that he was ‘the only Republican that doesn’t want to cut Social Security.’ It was a dubious claim then―he had proposed privatizing it in a book published in 2000.

Today, while running for reelection, he’s no longer pretending. Not only has he proposed cuts to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid in every budget, he is now fomenting a funding crisis by defunding Social Security!

The executive order, signed today, seeks to defer Social Security contributions until after the election. If re-elected, he promises to “terminate” FICA contributions―which is Social Security's dedicated funding. This is a full-on declaration of war against current and future Social Security beneficiaries.

Call your Senators NOW at (202) 224-3121 and tell them to oppose Trump’s executive order to defund Social Security!

Every member of Congress must speak up now to denounce Donald Trump’s unconstitutional raid on Social Security.

Voters should treat any Senator or Representative who is silent as complicit in destroying Social Security.

Furthermore, every American who cares about Social Security’s future must do everything they can to ensure that Trump does not get a second term.

Just because Trump signed the order doesn’t mean that the fight is lost. Congress will still act, and they have the power to overturn it. We’re fighting to make sure that they use that power.

Social Security is the foundation of everyone’s retirement security. At a time when pensions are vanishing and 401ks have proven inadequate, Trump’s plan to eliminate Social Security’s revenue stream would destroy the one source of retirement income that people can count on.

Moreover, Social Security is often the only disability insurance and life insurance that working families have. If reelected, Trump plans to destroy those benefits as well.

....

Thanks,

Nancy Altman
Social Security Works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight

"The GOP can’t even pretend now. They are all in, destroying the nation’s most cherished institutions in a desperate effort to stay in power."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight

Trump threatens Social Security and Medicare and the press yawns

I get it. They’re tired. And it’s hard to summon outrage anymore.

But still, there’s no excuse for the lackluster reporting from major news organizations about Donald Trump’s announcement on Saturday evening that he wants to permanently eliminate the payroll taxes that fund Social Security and Medicare.

Decoupling Social Security’s funding from the payroll tax would either drain it of money or, at best, make it subject to the year-to-year political whims and gamesmanship of Congress and the president.

To defenders of the social safety net, Trump’s call was clearly an act of war.

And you might think that political reporters would take notice when a president seizes with both hands what has historically been called the “third rail of American politics.”

But to our major news organizations, it was just another day in Trumpland.

Among several other actions, Trump on Saturday released a memo (not an executive order) calling for the deferral of four months of payroll taxes starting in September. He also declared: “If I’m victorious on November 3rd, I plan to forgive these taxes and make permanent cuts to the payroll tax. So I’m going to make them all permanent.”

In Monday’s Washington Post, Tony Romm, Erica Werner and Jeff Stein understated Trump’s vow, writing that his goal was only “to make the deferred payments into a permanent tax cut.”

It wasn’t until the end of their article that they indicated more might be at stake:

Retirement benefits historically are sacrosanct in American politics, and Trump’s mere suggestion that he may seek permanent reforms to the way they are financed raised immediate concerns that it could lead to lasting changes to the monthly checks paid out to seniors.

more at

https://presswatchers.org/2020/08/trump-threatens-social-security-and-medicare-and-the-press-yawns/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight

 

The call is coming from inside the Social Security Administration

 

The Social Security Administration’s Chief Actuary, Stephen C. Goss, released a letter last night warning that Donald Trump’s plan to terminate Social Security’s dedicated funding will destroy Social Security long before Trump’s second term is up.1

....

Goss’s letter states that if Social Security’s funding were terminated, as Trump has repeatedly proposed, that Social Security’s Disability Insurance trust fund would be depleted by 2021, and the Old Age and Survivors Insurance trust fund would be left “with no ability to pay benefits” after 2023.

Donald Trump has shown himself to be the “damn politician” that FDR warned about: one who would rob Americans of their “moral, legal, and political rights” to Social Security.

Worst of all, Trump has claimed the authority to defund Social Security with no action from Congress whatsoever. By instructing the IRS to defer collecting Social Security contributions for up to a year, he can fully defund and destroy Social Security’s disability insurance, provoking an immediate crisis that could force legislation cutting benefits or privatizing the program.

Let’s be clear: Social Security is on the ballot this November. Donald Trump has shown himself willing to undermine the post office, the free press, and other institutions. If he’s reelected, our Social Security system is his next target. Everyone should listen to Social Security’s independent Chief Actuary and alert your friends and family: If Donald Trump wins reelection, Social Security will be at his mercy.

....

Goss’s letter was written in response to a request from Democratic Senators Bernie Sanders, Ron Wyden, Chuck Schumer and Chris Van Hollen. We’re working closely with their offices to make sure that the American people know that Social Security is on the ballot!

Together, we’ll stop Trump’s scheme.

Thanks,

Alex Lawson
Social Security Works

1 https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/solvency/VanHollenSandersWydenSchumer_20200824.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
Trump is threatening Social Security on a scale never seen before

 

Donald Trump’s vision for the future of our economy can be summed up in two words: tax cuts. But, in his first term in office, the failed Trump-GOP tax scam isn’t his only assault on a fair share tax system.

For months, Donald Trump has tried to slash payroll taxes that finance Social Security in a misguided attempt to prop up the economy in the midst of the pandemic. This month, through executive action, Trump bypassed Congress and instructed the IRS to stop collecting the employees’ share of Social Security contributions.[1] He even boasted to his wealthy supporters at his New Jersey country club:

“If I’m victorious on November 3rd, I plan to forgive these taxes and make permanent cuts to the payroll tax. I’m going to make them all permanent. … In other words, I’ll extend beyond the end of the year and terminate the tax.”[2]

Now, the Social Security Administration’s Chief Actuary has written to members of Congress stating that if Trump is successful in eliminating payroll taxes, paid by individuals and employers, Social Security’s Trust Fund will be fully depleted by the middle of 2023.

....

Stephen Goss of the Social Security Administration wrote last night:

“with no alternative source of revenue to replace the elimination of payroll taxes on earned income paid on January 1, 2021 and thereafter, we estimate that [Disability Insurance] Trust Fund asset reserves would become permanently depleted in about the middle of calendar year 2021, with no ability to pay DI benefits thereafter. We estimate that [Old-Age and Survivors Insurance] Trust Fund reserves would become permanently depleted by the middle of calendar year 2023….” [3]

We’ve never seen a greater threat to the future of Social Security.

We’ve seen past presidents attempt to privatize and cut our earned benefits, but never before has a president’s actions threatened Social Security so immediately. If Trump follows through on his statement, his assault will fully deplete the Disability Insurance Trust Fund within the next year and the Old-Age and Survivors Trust Fund just two years later.

....

Thank you for fighting for the millions of people who rely on Social Security each and every day.

Frank Clemente
Executive Director
Americans for Tax Fairness Action Fund

[1] “Here’s what is actually in Trump’s four executive orders,” The Washington Post, Aug. 17, 2020

[2] “Trump promises permanent cut to payroll tax funding Social Security and Medicare if he’s reelected,” The Washington Post, Aug. 8, 2020

[3] https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/solvency/VanHollenSandersWydenSchumer_20200824.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prettylight
from Social Security Works this evening:
 
 
 
Defunding Social Security starts TODAY.
 

As of yesterday, Trump’s attack on Social Security takes effect. Many employers―including the Federal Government―will stop funding Social Security.

Here’s where things stand: Trump can only delay collection of Social Security’s funding, he can’t unilaterally eliminate it. But a key White House advisor went on Fox to tell them that he’s planning to delay the collection of Social Security’s dedicated funding indefinitely through a series of executive orders, functionally starving the program and creating a crisis.

Social Security’s Chief Actuary recently stated that defunding Social Security will result in the trust fund being completely depleted by 2023, with disability payments cut off next year.

Read Alex's email, below.

....

Thanks,

Michael Phelan
Social Security Works

 

--ALEX'S EMAIL--

Donald Trump’s assault on Social Security’s funding takes effect today.

On Friday, the IRS issued guidance for corporations not to withhold Social Security contributions from paychecks starting today, September 1st, through the end of the year.[1]

Trump advisor Larry Kudlow went on Fox Business this morning and tipped that Trump would issue another order later this year that would continue the deferral indefinitely.[2] This is how Social Security dies.

....

Social Security Works members have made thousands of calls to Senators to overturn Trump’s order. We’re going to keep up the pressure, and make sure that everyone in America knows that Social Security is on the ballot this November!

Every Senator who sits silent is complicit in Trump’s dismantling of our Social Security system. We must ensure that their voters know that.

....

Thanks,

Alex Lawson
Social Security Works

--

1 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-20-65.pdf
2 https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1300778757444243456?s=20

Edited by prettylight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...