Farmer Vincent

Pa. extends coronavirus stay-at-home order until June 4; 24 counties will still move into yellow reopening stage Friday

Farmer Vincent

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf has extended the state’s coronavirus stay-at-home order until June 4.

Twenty-four counties will still move into the yellow phase of Wolf’s reopening plan at 12:01 a.m. Friday, so the extension only applies to the remaining counties, all of which continue to be in the red phase, which is otherwise known as the complete stay at home order.

The news is mostly a formality, as it re-ups an order Wolf originally signed on April 1. For counties in the red phase, only life-sustaining travel is allowed, face coverings must be worn to enter any life-sustaining business, and large gatherings are not permitted while social distancing is required.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/05/pa-extends-coronavirus-stay-at-home-order-until-june-4-24-counties-will-still-move-into-yellow-reopening-stage-friday.html

grieker
10 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf has extended the state’s coronavirus stay-at-home order until June 4.

Twenty-four counties will still move into the yellow phase of Wolf’s reopening plan at 12:01 a.m. Friday, so the extension only applies to the remaining counties, all of which continue to be in the red phase, which is otherwise known as the complete stay at home order.

The news is mostly a formality, as it re-ups an order Wolf originally signed on April 1. For counties in the red phase, only life-sustaining travel is allowed, face coverings must be worn to enter any life-sustaining business, and large gatherings are not permitted while social distancing is required.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/05/pa-extends-coronavirus-stay-at-home-order-until-june-4-24-counties-will-still-move-into-yellow-reopening-stage-friday.html

Never, never, EVER waste a crisis!

If keeping American workers from working will continue to crash America and Trump's election potential - then it shall be.  We can tolerate people dying - just not all at once.  It burdens the hospitals so by reducing the deaths at one time, people are more tolerable of the dumb masses dying in smaller chunks.

@ 30 million Americans have lost their jobs and are now hemorrhaging money during this China virus time - NOT ONE politician has lost a job or a nickle.

prettylight

In regard to the Republican politicians announcing they're going to disregard the numbers and open their counties early:

Over the past week, a host of lawmakers, district attorneys, and law enforcement agencies in counties still under aggressive mitigation orders said they will defy Wolf and unilaterally move themselves to the next phase of the governor’s reopening plan. State officials have given 37 counties the go-ahead to ease coronavirus restrictions, lifting the stay-at-home order and allowing some businesses to reopen if they follow certain safety precautions.

“These folks are choosing to desert in the face of the enemy. In the middle of a war that we Pennsylvanians are winning, and that we must win,” Wolf said at a news conference Monday. “They need to understand the consequences of their cowardly act.”

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/gov-tom-wolf-denounces-pa-counties-reopening-without-his-approval-as-cowardly-selfish/article_729b86dc-93a5-11ea-8f3b-8ff2ab4bad79.html

prettylight

“To the politicians urging businesses to risk their lives, and to risk the lives of their customers or employees by opening prematurely, you need to understand that they are engaging in behavior that is both selfish and unsafe,” Wolf said.

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/gov-tom-wolf-denounces-pa-counties-reopening-without-his-approval-as-cowardly-selfish/article_729b86dc-93a5-11ea-8f3b-8ff2ab4bad79.html

Dan Daniels
5 minutes ago, prettylight said:

“To the politicians urging businesses to risk their lives, and to risk the lives of their customers or employees by opening prematurely, you need to understand that they are engaging in behavior that is both selfish and unsafe,” Wolf said.

What will change between now and June 4 that will make opening safer? 

prettylight
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Dan Daniels said:

What will change between now and June 4 that will make opening safer? 

good question--it looks like he's trying to get the cases down to 50 cases per 100,000, and it's not there yet:

Thirty of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties have yet to receive state approval to reopen their economies, and 17 of them score better than Lancaster on a key coronavirus metric, an LNP | LancasterOnline analysis shows.

As of Saturday, Lancaster had the 13th worst score in the state under a formula that counts how many new cases of COVID-19 a county has had, per 100,000 population, in the past 14 days.

Lancaster reported 63 new cases on Saturday, bringing the county’s 14-day total to 684, or 125 per 100,000, based on its population of 545,724.

That’s down from scores in the 130s and 140s over the past 10 days, but still far from the 50 cases per 100,000 population that Gov. Tom Wolf wants counties to achieve, along with adequare hospital capacity, testing and contact tracing.

Delaware County and Philadelphia are the farthest from meeting the state’s criteria, with scores Saturday of 296 and 236, respectively.

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/heres-where-each-pennsylvania-county-scores-on-states-key-coronavirus-metric-for-reopening/article_6bf4724a-9228-11ea-8544-5f2230fadaed.html-

Edited by prettylight

prettylight

so opening prematurely could really hurt the economy, rather than saving it:

Opening prematurely—or opening without the tools in place to rapidly identify and stop the spread of the virus—could send states back into crisis mode, push health systems past capacity, and force states back into strict social distancing measures. This scenario would repeat the negative economic consequences of pandemic response and reduce public confidence, further deepening a recession and protracting economic recovery.

https://www.nga.org/center/publications/health/roadmap-to-recovery/

Dan Daniels
13 minutes ago, prettylight said:

good question--it looks like he's trying to get the cases down to 50 cases per 100,000, and it's not there yet:

Not sure how this will make anyone safer in the long run.

prettylight
1 minute ago, Dan Daniels said:

Not sure how this will make anyone safer in the long run.

am thinking it will increase our odds against getting this virus, anyway.

lanzate

The only people not working right now are those in restaurants entertainment and small business retail.  Which show wolfs true colors that he would let Home Depot target and Walmart open and not let a small store that could have less than 10 customers at a time.  I had to laugh at Newswnger furniture in Quarryville.   They are now selling homemade noodles in their showroom.   It allowed them to get the waiver so now they can be just like wolfs Target and Walmart stores.  

prettylight
5 minutes ago, lanzate said:

The only people not working right now are those in restaurants entertainment and small business retail.  Which show wolfs true colors that he would let Home Depot target and Walmart open and not let a small store that could have less than 10 customers at a time.  I had to laugh at Newswnger furniture in Quarryville.   They are now selling homemade noodles in their showroom.   It allowed them to get the waiver so now they can be just like wolfs Target and Walmart stores.  

lol. Somebody had a good idea!

prettylight

Trump targets Pennsylvania over coronavirus restrictions

Trump has previously expressed support for protesters demonstrating against stay-at-home orders, but the new criticism of Pennsylvania comes ahead of his expected trip to the battleground state this week.

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf (D) has sparked pushback from state Republicans for his deliberate pace in reopening the state, which has more than 56,000 total cases of coronavirus.

The Supreme Court last Wednesday denied a request from a conservative political action committee and several businesses to halt Wolf's stay-at-home order amid the pandemic.

The governor last week announced that 13 counties in the state would be able to lift some restrictions, allowing certain businesses to operate with proper social distancing in place. Four counties that were not given permission to reopen have indicated they plan to do so in defiance of Wolf's orders, according to local media.

The president's tweet on Monday also comes as his administration attempts to convince the country that it is safe to reopen businesses and return to work, even as polling shows many Americans favor leaving restrictions in place. In addition, many states are seeing their total case numbers increase week-to-week.

Further complicating matters, the White House is dealing with its own coronavirus cases within the building. One of Trump's personal valets and the vice president's press secretary tested positive last week, raising alarms about the virus spreading within the complex.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/497104-trump-targets-pennsylvania-over-coronavirus-restriction

prettylight
Posted (edited)

My mother-in-law is usually on board with any Republican cause, but the local Republican politicians have lost her on this one. Maybe it's the first time we've ever seen her diverge from the Republican party line/Republican talking points.

She said she's glad there's been a backlash against this rush to reopen, and she believes she and my father-in-law are doing the right thing by being cautious (requiring those around them to wear masks; not breaking the stay-at-home order).

Edited by prettylight

Farmer Vincent
11 minutes ago, prettylight said:

My mother-in-law is usually on board with any Republican cause, but the local Republican politicians have lost her on this one. Maybe it's the first time we've ever seen her diverge from the Republican party line/Republican talking points.

She said she's glad there's been a backlash against this rush to reopen, and she believes she and my father-in-law are doing the right thing by being cautious (requiring those around them to wear masks; not breaking the stay-at-home order).

She'll still vote Republican.  

I have a good friend my wife and I have travelled with who is hardcore MAGA and we've been arguing over this crisis.  He's been equating this stay at home order with Nazi Germany.  I know that he wouldn't make such a silly connection if Trump or Fox News said to stay at home until it's safe.  He also says that the virus was released from a Chinese lab and that our response is messed up because of Democrats (couldn't say why though).  I think he'll be voting Republican too.  

prettylight
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

She'll still vote Republican.  

I have a good friend my wife and I have travelled with who is hardcore MAGA and we've been arguing over this crisis.  He's been equating this stay at home order with Nazi Germany.  I know that he wouldn't make such a silly connection if Trump or Fox News said to stay at home until it's safe.  He also says that the virus was released from a Chinese lab and that our response is messed up because of Democrats (couldn't say why though).  I think he'll be voting Republican too.  

The Republicans would definitely have her vote, and my father-in-law's, too, if Republicans weren't so against voting by mail and would encourage their base to do it.

(Due to the heroics it would take with their physical disabilities, they have probably retired from going to vote in person.)

Edited by prettylight

lanzate
21 minutes ago, prettylight said:

The Republicans would definitely have her vote, and my father-in-law's, too, if Republicans weren't so against voting by mail and would encourage their base to do it.

(Due to the heroics it would take with their physical disabilities, they have probably retired from going to vote in person.)

I don’t get your angle here?   Mail in voting is already legal in all 50 states.  I’ve probably voted by mail more than in person since used to be frequently out of the area.   

prettylight
24 minutes ago, lanzate said:

I don’t get your angle here?   Mail in voting is already legal in all 50 states.  I’ve probably voted by mail more than in person since used to be frequently out of the area.   

I am just guessing that Fox News casts it in a negative light.

Am I wrong? It's possible.

--

Why Republicans Are So Afraid of Vote-by-Mail

Public health officials recommend absentee ballots to keep people safe. But President Trump and his party, without evidence, portray expanded voting measures as ripe for fraud.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/us/politics/republicans-vote-by-mail.html

lanzate

ok.   Read the NYT article and still have no idea what they are talking about.   They only had minimal quotes from republicans who they say are fighting "this" which still they don't explain what "this" is.  The one republican quote actually supported mail in votes so really what are they getting at?   How do you read news like this?  What a joke.     Voting by mail is very easy.. many do it.   I've done it many times.   Why do some people think there needs to be changing to it?  Whatever.  

prettylight
6 minutes ago, lanzate said:

ok.   Read the NYT article and still have no idea what they are talking about.   They only had minimal quotes from republicans who they say are fighting "this" which still they don't explain what "this" is.  The one republican quote actually supported mail in votes so really what are they getting at?   How do you read news like this?  What a joke.     Voting by mail is very easy.. many do it.   I've done it many times.   Why do some people think there needs to be changing to it?  Whatever.  

I should have simply said, I am assuming Fox News portrays voting by mail in a negative light.

Am I wrong?

lanzate

Such as requiring a reason?    Lol.  Only 17 states require a reason.  PA being one of them but honestly you can write down you will be too tired to get to the polls in November and they will take it.   Voting at the booth is the cheapest way to collect the masses to vote.  If you are going to cost the government more why not require a reason?   
As for fox talking about this I haven’t had cable tv since 2005 and can’t remember it ever on their website but why would they?
It just feel like an invented issue.  

prettylight
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, lanzate said:

Such as requiring a reason?    Lol.  Only 17 states require a reason.  PA being one of them but honestly you can write down you will be too tired to get to the polls in November and they will take it.   Voting at the booth is the cheapest way to collect the masses to vote.  If you are going to cost the government more why not require a reason?   
As for fox talking about this I haven’t had cable tv since 2005 and can’t remember it ever on their website but why would they?
It just feel like an invented issue.  

Am thinking maybe I was wrong that Republicans ever did mind the normal voting by mail (maybe they never had a problem with that?), but maybe just don't want everyone voting by mail this year, during the pandemic?

Instead of my presuming to mind-read, we should just ask my husband's parents point-blank if they'd like to vote by mail, and then, if they say yes, help them get the paperwork. Even though, yep, they would vote Republican, for sure. ;)

Maybe they would like to do it and wouldn't see any obstacles at all, Fox News-generated or otherwise.

It doesn't mean Republicans aren't trying to make it harder to vote, in general--they clearly are (^Farmer Vincent's good post, above). But, you know, maybe I really was wrong here, Lanzate.

Edited by prettylight

prettylight
16 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Pennsylvania didn't ask me for a reason to vote by mail in the primary.  I think that will be the case for the general election as well.  

Me either. Thanks for posting that link, by the way--that's what I used:

On 4/18/2020 at 6:33 AM, Farmer Vincent said:

grieker
10 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Pennsylvania didn't ask me for a reason to vote by mail in the primary.  I think that will be the case for the general election as well.  

Progressives lost 33,000 emails - I can't trust 'em with mail

Farmer Vincent
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, grieker said:

Progressives lost 33,000 emails - I can't trust 'em with mail

By 'progressives', do you mean one person?  And that wasn't paper ballots. 

Edited by Farmer Vincent

grieker

Wolf is clearly a dictatorial totalitarian who has threatened to withhold funding from specific counties in PA.   Enjoy your freedom - not!

grieker
1 minute ago, Farmer Vincent said:

By 'progressives', do you mean one person?  And that wasn't paper ballots. 

Was more than one person and paper is far easier to "lose" than digital.  Just sayin.

Hopefully we'll never get to mail only voting.  There is no way of knowing who voted!