lanzate

Total nursing home COVID-19 deaths in Lancaster County through May 15, 2020

grieker

I believe 58% of all Wuhan China Virus deaths in Pennsylvania occurred in nursing homes.

simpleton
16 minutes ago, grieker said:

I believe 58% of all Wuhan China Virus deaths in Pennsylvania occurred in nursing homes.

I'd have to check again but I think it's higher.  Closer to 70%.

grieker
3 hours ago, simpleton said:

I'd have to check again but I think it's higher.  Closer to 70%.

Are you shittin me?  That dude who took his mother out of the home is still working!!!  70% holy shit!  58% is outrageous - 70% = criminal.

prettylight
40 minutes ago, grieker said:

Are you shittin me?  That dude who took his mother out of the home is still working!!!  70% holy shit!  58% is outrageous - 70% = criminal.

We were relieved to learn that his kids took my father's cousin out of his retirement community, thinking he'd be safer staying with one of them.

grieker
10 minutes ago, prettylight said:

We were relieved to learn that his kids took my father's cousin out of his retirement community, thinking he'd be safer staying with one of them.

Shame the state sentenced them to death and carried out the execution.

prettylight
12 minutes ago, grieker said:

Shame the state sentenced them to death and carried out the execution.

Trump’s pandemic plan for nursing homes: Protect investors

Some time today, America will pass 100,000 deaths from COVID-19.

Of those 100,000 deaths, 37,000 have been seniors in nursing homes.

Long-term care and nursing home facilities have lacked the necessary resources to protect their staff. And private equity-fueled, profit-driven budget cuts have turned nursing home workers into minimum wage workers―forcing employees to work in multiple facilities to make ends meet, and turning each infected employee into a vector for the disease.

The House of Representatives included four critical provisions to protect seniors in the HEROES Act. But Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell only have one proposal: To shield nursing homes and their investors from liability over creating the conditions that killed tens of thousands of seniors.

Since this pandemic began, seniors have been under attack.

Trump’s favorite economic stimulus proposal has been to eliminate Social Security and Medicare’s dedicated funding―undermining their solvency and laying an election year trap for Democrats.

State-level Republicans have claimed that we should allow seniors to die to keep the stock market strong, ignoring warnings from public health officials AND economic experts who said that the economy wouldn’t continue to operate with thousands of Americans dying every day.

And Senator Mitt Romney is dusting off a plan to create fast-track commissions to bypass Congress and the American people and make cuts to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

The HEROES Act, passed by the House of Representatives would:

• Authorize $150 million for strike teams to help struggling nursing homes
  • Mandate data about COVID-19 for transparency
  • Prioritize testing for older Americans and people with disabilities
  • Create COVID-19 only facilities

Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell’s policies don’t protect seniors, but it does protect the corporations that are killing them....

Thanks,

Alex Lawson
Social Security Works

simpleton
2 hours ago, grieker said:

It depends how they count, too.  In Lancaster it's a bit under 75% have died in nursing homes.  But if you add in the deaths from patients that got sick in a nursing home and then died in a hospital it goes up to about 85%.  

prettylight

"The nation’s 15,400 nursing homes have become ground zero for the crisis, with well over a third of the nearly 100,000 deaths in the United States involving either residents or employees of elder care facilities....Over the past 2 decades, private equity firms & other investors have come into the nursing home industry, viewing it as both a real estate play and an opportunity to cross-sell medical services to operators that rent their facilities."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/business/genesis-earnings-nursing-homes-coronavirus.html