prettylight

"Refusing to Wear a Mask Is a Uniquely American Pathology"

prettylight

For Trump and those around him, refusing to don face coverings—even during visits with vulnerable populations like 95-year-old World War II veterans—seems to signal, well, something. But what?

While most on the political right have agreed to take precautions like staying home, a “vocal activist wing of conservatism that has enormous influence on social media and Fox News, has been far more willing to attack the various infringements on where people can go and what they have to wear.” As a result, Lizza and Lippman conclude, “the mask has become the ultimate symbol of this new cultural and political divide.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/05/masks-coronavirus-america.html

Farmer Vincent

I think it can be simplified by saying that mask wearing has right wing fanatics triggered.  

grieker
2 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

I think it can be simplified by saying that mask wearing has right wing fanatics triggered.  

Aside from the 50% spike in armed robberies, masks (in spite of what the WHO and Dr Fauci have said) are helpful

prettylight
Posted (edited)

Donald Trump and his allies have polarized the response to the coronavirus, turning defiance of public health directives into a mark of right-wing identity.

But it’s a mistake to treat the growing ideological divide over when and how to reopen the country as a matter of class rather than partisanship. The push for a faster reopening, even in places where coronavirus cases are growing, has significant elite support. And many of those who face exposure as they’re ordered back to work are rightly angry and terrified.

Because here’s the thing about reopening: It’s liberation to some, but compulsion to others. If your employer reopens but you don’t feel safe going to work, you can’t continue to collect unemployment benefits. In The Texas Tribune, a waitress in Odessa spoke of her fear when she was called back to work at a restaurant that hadn’t put adequate social distancing measures in place. “It scared me, so I left,” she said. “Then I had to remember that if I do quit, I would have to lose my unemployment.”

more at

The Phony Coronavirus Class War

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/opinion/coronavirus-reopen-workers.html

Edited by prettylight

grieker

prettylight

^

5 hours ago, grieker said:

Aside from the 50% spike in armed robberies, masks (in spite of what the WHO and Dr Fauci have said) are helpful

prettylight
4 minutes ago, grieker said:

More importantly I, unlike the WHO and Dr Fauci, never said they were not helpful.

That's why you were being quoted as a wise source, Grieker. ;)

grieker
1 minute ago, prettylight said:

That's why you were being quoted as a wise source, Grieker. ;)

Sarcasm noted.

prettylight
2 minutes ago, grieker said:

Sarcasm noted.

was being silly, but it was not without respect.

prettylight

prettylight

grieker
26 minutes ago, prettylight said:

for my part, am thinking that getting COVID-19 would be more inconvenient and uncomfortable than wearing a mask.

Oh My!  He didn't wear a mask!  Another REPUBLICAN not wearing a mask and chastised for it.  Meanwhile thousands upon thousands of rioting punk-ass, sub-human, savage, feral, coward thugs are running the streets of America destroying at will whatever they choose without masks while immune to discipline.

prettylight
55 minutes ago, grieker said:

Oh My!  He didn't wear a mask!  Another REPUBLICAN not wearing a mask and chastised for it.  Meanwhile thousands upon thousands of rioting punk-ass, sub-human, savage, feral, coward thugs are running the streets of America destroying at will whatever they choose without masks while immune to discipline.

well you know I like to pick on Republicans, so I couldn't resist

but all politics aside--would rather have the inconvenience of wearing a mask than the inconvenience of getting coronavirus :(

Pastor of Muppets
2 hours ago, prettylight said:

for my part, am thinking that getting COVID-19 would be more inconvenient and uncomfortable than wearing a mask.

For my part, I'm thinking this guy is an idiot. (cult member)

prettylight
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pastor of Muppets said:

For my part, I'm thinking this guy is an idiot. (cult member)

It sounds like he was a COVID-19 disinformationalist, trying to downplay the seriousness of it. (Before he and his family came down with it.)

Edited by prettylight

prettylight

^

prettylight
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, grieker said:

Convicted murderers often say similar things from prison

right, lol

thinking of the saying, we can't make all the mistakes ourselves (well, I try, but it's just too many mistakes; I can't get to every last one)

maybe it's good to let others help us by warning us, so we don't make the same mistakes they've made.

edited to add, and maybe we can do the same for them/others

Edited by prettylight

prettylight

prettylight
On 5/19/2020 at 12:21 PM, grieker said:

prettylight
Posted (edited)

sorry, didn't mean to double-post

Edited by prettylight

prettylight

Surgeon general urges widespread mask use: 'It is not a suppression of your freedom'

Surgeon General Jerome Adams on Tuesday implored Americans, and young Americans in particular, to wear masks as lawmakers and public health officials increasingly seek to break down partisan barriers about the use of face coverings.

Adams specifically sought to address arguments among some conservatives that requiring masks is an infringement on personal freedoms and civil liberties, arguing that wearing a mask will actually restore freedoms more quickly amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"Wear a face covering when you go out in public. It is not an inconvenience. It is not a suppression of your freedom. It actually Is a vehicle to achieve our goals," Adams said during a briefing with members of the White House coronavirus task force.

"It adds to your connivence and your freedom because it allows us to open up more places and it allows those places to stay open," he added, holding up his own mask. "This mask, this face covering actually is an instrument of freedom for Americans if we all use it."

Adams singled out younger Americans, who have contributed to increasing case numbers in Florida, Texas and Arizona, among other states, urging them to use masks even if they feel they are not at risk for serious illness if they contract the coronavirus. 

The surgeon general reasoned that a return to normalcy and activities young people enjoy were at stake with their decision to wear a mask or not.

"If you want the return of college football this year, wear a face covering," he said. "If you want a chance at prom next spring, wear a face covering... If you want to go on spring break next march, next April, wear a face covering."

Adams' message came in stark contrast to President Trump, who has been reluctant to wear a mask in public and has at times derided those who do wear masks.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/505354-surgeon-general-urges-widespread-mask-use-it-is-not-a-suppression-of-your

prettylight

As Trump’s Hostility to Masks Fuels a Public-Health Nihilism, Fauci Issues a New Plea

To halt the pandemic, Fauci said, “I think we need to emphasize the responsibility that we have both as individuals and as part of a societal effort.”

Fauci is, of course, right about personal responsibility; everyone has a role to play in stopping the coronavirus. But he was less clear about how that rallying cry fits into any federal or even state-government public-health strategy. The great cause of confusion is that we have, at the moment, an all-or-none President, whose exercise of personal or political responsibility in dealing with this crisis is around the level of zero. At times, it sounded as though Fauci had pretty much given up on Donald Trump, and had no option left but to appeal directly to the American people. He could only hope that they would pay attention to his warnings rather than to Trump’s tweets mocking people who wear masks, or the clips and photographs of the people in the crowd, very few of them wearing masks, at the President’s indoor events. (At a rally in Tulsa, campaign workers reportedly removed labels encouraging social distancing from seats.)

That disconnect was not lost on Murray, who followed up by saying, “I assume that would mean that elected and community leaders need to model good public-health behavior and wear a mask.” Fauci, rather than simply saying yes, repeated the C.D.C.’s mask recommendations—wear one in public areas and crowded spaces. It is a depressing commentary on how distorted the Administration’s response has been that Fauci might regard a straightforward statement about what leaders should do as a matter to be handled delicately.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/as-trumps-hostility-to-masks-fuels-a-public-health-nihilism-fauci-issues-a-new-plea

grieker
32 minutes ago, prettylight said:

As Trump’s Hostility to Masks Fuels a Public-Health Nihilism, Fauci Issues a New Plea

To halt the pandemic, Fauci said, “I think we need to emphasize the responsibility that we have both as individuals and as part of a societal effort.”

Fauci is, of course, right about personal responsibility; everyone has a role to play in stopping the coronavirus. But he was less clear about how that rallying cry fits into any federal or even state-government public-health strategy. The great cause of confusion is that we have, at the moment, an all-or-none President, whose exercise of personal or political responsibility in dealing with this crisis is around the level of zero. At times, it sounded as though Fauci had pretty much given up on Donald Trump, and had no option left but to appeal directly to the American people. He could only hope that they would pay attention to his warnings rather than to Trump’s tweets mocking people who wear masks, or the clips and photographs of the people in the crowd, very few of them wearing masks, at the President’s indoor events. (At a rally in Tulsa, campaign workers reportedly removed labels encouraging social distancing from seats.)

That disconnect was not lost on Murray, who followed up by saying, “I assume that would mean that elected and community leaders need to model good public-health behavior and wear a mask.” Fauci, rather than simply saying yes, repeated the C.D.C.’s mask recommendations—wear one in public areas and crowded spaces. It is a depressing commentary on how distorted the Administration’s response has been that Fauci might regard a straightforward statement about what leaders should do as a matter to be handled delicately.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/as-trumps-hostility-to-masks-fuels-a-public-health-nihilism-fauci-issues-a-new-plea

News flash members of the lyin progressive fake news media machines:::  Trump has no hostility to masks.