• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• prettylight

• grieker

• Farmer Vincent

• GeezUS

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There isn't much to learn in fighting the virus once you have it.  The important learning was done by virologists and doctors.  The important thing for us to learn is how to not get it in the first pl

Nearly 500 former national security officials formally back Biden A bipartisan group of 489 former national security officials have endorsed Democratic p

Posted Images

prettylight

Biden always understood what this election is about

Joe Biden, Donald Trump, and Maslow’s hierarchy of political needs.

By Ezra Klein

In his 1943 paper “A Theory of Human Motivation,” Abraham Maslow proposed his hierarchy of human needs. At the bottom of the pyramid were the basics: food, water, warmth, rest. As you traveled up the pyramid, the needs got more specific, more abstract: belonging, prestige, self-actualization.

Over the past four years, we’ve slipped far, far down the hierarchy of political needs. The question isn’t whether the president is a policy genius, a generational orator, a historic legislative tactician, or a masterful manager. It’s whether he’s a white supremacist. Whether he’s a conspiracy theorist. Whether he’s a liar. Whether he’s extorting foreign governments to investigate domestic rivals. Whether he is a Covid-19 superspreader.

In 2016, I spent a few weeks reporting on why there was so little enthusiasm for a Joe Biden presidential campaign among then-Obama staffers. Everyone I spoke to liked Biden, usually a lot. They extolled his kindness, his decency, his loyalty. It wasn’t those higher-order questions that worried them. He ran messy, inefficient meetings. He wasn’t a policy savant like Hillary Clinton. He didn’t have Barack Obama’s technocratic cool or rhetorical ease. He felt like Obama’s partner, not his successor.

In 2020, Biden looks likely to be Donald Trump’s successor, and his performance at the ABC town hall showed why. I’ve watched, for my sins, a countless number of political town halls. By the traditional standards of these things, Biden’s performance wasn’t especially masterful. He was clear and specific, and on the right side of most of the issues. But on the substance, it wasn’t brilliant rhetoric or stunning policy vision. It was serviceable work.

But 2020 isn’t 2016. More fundamental questions are being asked. And on those levels, Biden excelled. Throughout the night, the meta-message of Biden’s performance was that decency is on the ballot in 2020. After he responded to an audience member, he’d often say, earnestly, “I hope that answered your question.” After a long reply to a young voter whom he could see he wasn’t convincing, Biden said, “There’s a lot more; if you can hang around afterward, I’ll tell you more. I really mean it.” He really seemed to. (If you watched the livestream, you could see that a half-hour after the event ended and the mics were turned off, Biden was still there, taking audience questions.)

At about the same moment that Trump was flirting with QAnon support at his town hall aired on NBC, Biden was saying, “The words of a president matter. No matter whether they’re good, bad, or indifferent, they matter."

prettylight

Why this libertarian is voting for Biden

"As a lifelong libertarian, I've found presidential elections to be largely meaningless...Not this time. This time my civic duty as a libertarian requires me to help defeat Trump by casting my ballot for the only candidate who can defeat him: Joe Biden."

https://theweek.com/articles/938981/why-libertarian-voting-biden

this is a Libertarian flag? never figured that out before:

PXI2qdvd?format=jpg&name=small

prettylight

“The American people do not panic. Trump panicked.”  --Joe Biden in Durham, North Carolina right now, on Trump’s failure to lead during this crisis

prettylight

NEW: Trump was receiving one of his first codeword classified briefings on Afghanistan, at his Bedminster club, when he suddenly got bored and ordered milkshakes. The incident became legendary inside CIA, where like at other agencies, morale has slumped.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1318164393574760452

Biden would revamp fraying intel community

Intelligence has become a political weapon under Trump, the Democratic nominee's advisers say.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/19/biden-revamp-fraying-intel-community-430090

prettylight

Joe Biden: "Mr. President, you're right about one thing: the American people are tired. They're tired of your lies about this virus. They're tired of watching more Americans die and more people lose their jobs because you refuse to take this pandemic seriously."

prettylight

"A group of great patriots stepping forward to urge us to make the right choice for the health and safety of this nation. Trump has failed to manage the COVID pandemic. "

Service Academy Physicians for Biden

prettylight

"I am a gun owner. A Republican. And a former Trump official. Joe Biden is NOT going to take away your guns & 2nd Amendment rights. Get real, people, and ignore this carnival barker."

prettylight

An unprecedented number of Republicans, national security officials, military leaders and former Trump administration veterans have endorsed Joe Biden.

prettylight

Former senior vice president and general counsel of the Heritage Foundation, 2014-2018.

"I saw the chaos of the #TrumpAdmin from the inside. It’s damaging our country and actually undermining #conservative policies. Fellow Republicans and conservatives: let’s elect
@JoeBiden and then build a party of principled conservatism for 2022 and 2024."

prettylight
“For eight years, Joe was the last one in the room when I faced a big decision. He made me a better President. And he’s got the character and experience to make us a better country.” --Barack Obama, in Pennsylvania today